Refresh agent beta and an apology

Refresh agent beta and an apology

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
23 Jun 05
1 edit

First off, I just want to apologies to everyone here who has been making feature requests and chasing progress of existing projects. As I have stated in my vacation message, I have been extraordinarily busy - but that should be ending shortly, and all projects will resume. (And believe me, I can hardly wait to get back up to speed again.)

Anyway, as I have helped a few people get their third party apps going recently (I didn't have to do much), and there was a post here about the auto-refreshing again, I thought I better put the matchsticks in the eyes, and do something about it.

Here is a first beta. It does look similar to the GK version, but works very differently. (Even though it achieves much the same thing.)

The agent can be minimised, and it will pop up when games are waiting. Not sure yet if the back off "algorithm" is too aggressive yet, so please do let me know if it is useful as it.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/beta/agentlauncher.php
(TFC and CAW all work fine too)

A link from ‘my games’ direct to this can be added at a later date.

This is very much beta code - I only wrote it late last night so I can hardly say it has been excessively tested. Although it should work on most modern browsers.

Oh, and the agent will need to be refreshed if it finds games, and you then move in them all. (It stops checking once it knows you have games waiting.)

Please post any problems here.

Cheers all.

-Russ

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
23 Jun 05

Thanks Russ.

DR

Northern Virginia

Moves
23 Jun 05

Russ,
As always, glad for your dedication to the site!
I've not followed recent threads about agent codes. Could you (or someone) briefly summarize what it does, and what it's doing while it sits on my screen scrolling its yellow and orange squares and incrementing its digits?
Thanks,
Mike

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
23 Jun 05

If you have cleared all your games down, and you are waiting for more, but don't wish to check the site/email then launch the agent.

You can then minimise it, and it will pop up when someone has made a move against you. (The will be delay between the two events though.)

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
23 Jun 05

BTW : The numbers are just second 'ticks' I was using during testing.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
24 Jun 05

Anyone using this? Is is useful to you?

-Russ

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jun 05

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
I tried it, and no its not very useful for me I'm afraid.

I nearly always have games waiting. What I'd really like would be to have something that works like the email notifications coupled with a system tray notification, ala trillian, where a wee message pops up from my system tray to tell me such and such has moved. If this system tray tool showed how many games I had waiting, which was updated everytime a move was made (ie: push the data rather than pull it every 5 minutes or whatever), it would be perfect for my needs.

So say an opponent moves, then, instead of firing off a move notification email, fire off a message to my system tray tool, which says "Opponent has moved, at 10.17am" This message would also increment the games waiting by 1.

Say I move, a message gets fired off to my system tray tool, which just decrements the games waiting total.

I currently use the email notifications, which are great, but it'd be better for your bandwidth not to have to send the emails, and it'd be better if I didn't have to do the housekeeping that I currently do with all the rhp move notifications.

To be honest, I'm happy enough just using the email notifications, but the tool I described above would be the icing on the cake, even though I don't really know how feasible it is.

Cheers and I hope this helps,

D

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
24 Jun 05

-Russ
It does not seem to do what I think it should do. (Mac OS 10.3.9, Safari 1.3 browser)
What does it needs to do, really?

Data Warehouser

Back in the UK!

Moves
24 Jun 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak
If this system tray tool showed how many games I had waiting, which was updated everytime a move was made (ie: push the data rather than pull it every 5 minutes or whatever), it would be perfect for my needs.
Think this tool provides what you need...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=24904

I'm using it, and it does pretty much what you want (if i understand you correctly).

[Edit] Its a pull rather than push tho, and updates every 15 mins [/Edit]
M

D

Moves
25 Jun 05
2 edits

Seems to work perfectly here (windows XP, Firefox 1.0.4). I think I'm gonna use it, certainly when I'm not behind my computer. A casual glance at my screen from a distance then is enough to see I have RHP duties to take care off. An optional sound would make it even more useful for me. I don't know if I'd use this, or an intray only app to use when I'm behind the computer, though.

I don't know if it only notices the difference between games waiting and no games waiting. I'd think it would be useful if it pops up indicating any change in my games. Eg. when I have to make a move in a game I'm not planning to move in right away, I still would like the agent to pop up if someone moved in one of the other games I'm playing.

r

Uk

Moves
25 Jun 05

-Russ
Thanks Russ! I use this a lot esp. while Im at work

In your face

Moves
25 Jun 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I tried it, and no its not very useful for me I'm afraid.

I nearly always have games waiting. What I'd really like would be to have something that works like the email notifications coupled with a system tray notification, ala trillian, where a wee message pops up from my system tray to tell me such and such has moved. If this system tray tool showed ...[text shortened]... cake, even though I don't really know how feasible it is.

Cheers and I hope this helps,

D
What you could do also, is log into msn messenger while you are playing. This will inform you that 'You have received a new E-mail from RHP.com'. Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it works for me.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
25 Jun 05

Originally posted by jimslyp69
What you could do also, is log into msn messenger while you are playing. This will inform you that 'You have received a new E-mail from RHP.com'. Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it works for me.
That is the system I was describing in my post, except I use trillian instead of msn messenger.

D

T

Moves
25 Jun 05

russ, this new feature is great. It would help if you didnt have to refresh after you make the moves, but otherwise it is great!

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
26 Jun 05

I will enhance it later to pop up when the number of games in current request is greater than the last request.

-Russ