1. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 12:512 edits
    I had this idea ages ago and never got around to posting it up. It was inspired by my recent signing up on MSN Messenger and I thought that this kind of messaging and online status notification would work really well here.

This is an extension and combinatiuon fo 2 recent site idea posts: Thread 47750 and Thread 47967, but if you compare MSN messenger and apply the likes of Start Game With... and Send PM to... as options in the messenger window , it could really boost this sites functionality. The buddy list would really come into its own here too. Imagine all clan members discussing and analysing games together in real time and you can see where this could go.

This could be a separate download application or could be incorporated into the site somehow.

It would be great to have a more functional tray tool (like the recent move notifier) which signs you in automatically when you go online and then notifies you of moves, replies to your posts and acts as a RHP instant messaging service too.

Any thought?
  2. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 03:32
    !
  3. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 18:58
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    I had this idea ages ago and never got around to posting it up. It was inspired by my recent signing up on MSN Messenger and I thought that this kind of messaging and online status notification would work really well here.

This is an extension and combinatiuon fo 2 recent site idea posts: Thread 47750 and Thread 47967, but i ...[text shortened]... of moves, replies to your posts and acts as a RHP instant messaging service too.

Any thought?
    The only problem I see here is the analysing games function. as there isn't supposed to be any comments on games in progress, and this could very potentially become a very big problem for this.

I would just recomend finding who's on your buddy list and have them added to your MSN messenger.
  4. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 23:20
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    The only problem I see here is the analysing games function. as there isn't supposed to be any comments on games in progress, and this could very potentially become a very big problem for this.

I would just recomend finding who's on your buddy list and have them added to your MSN messenger.
    I know what you mean. Clearly, analysis of games is, and will be, restricted to finished games (as per the site rules)

But can you see where this could go? This extends the recently moved 'green dot' and turns it into an 'online' notifier. Status could be set to 'moving+posting', 'moving', 'away', 'offline' etc in the same way as messenger works.

Messaging clan mambers and other friends/opponents can now move away from the static 'only whilst you move' in game message or PM and be replaced by Instant Messaging at anytime - you can see when are actually online but not moving.

By incorporating the Buddy system too, you can have control of who can see you online and who can't. Who can message you, set up games with you and all that which goes with it.

A quick look at MSM messenger, you can also use the 'MSN Today' idea to include My games/My posts replied to/My Clan/My tournaments in a quick overview - if you use MSN then you'll know what I'm talking about.

To answer your recommendation, This solution removes the need for you to give out your personal contact details and therefore allows RHP to remain a safe environment - even your email address is safe.
  5. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    05 Sep '06 01:34
    *** BUMP ***

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree