1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 15:33
    To honor the memory of the greatest player ever to play the game.
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 15:41
    Originally posted by Red Night
    To honor the memory of the greatest player ever to play the game.
    Feck Orf. To honour him would be to run a memorial tournament in his name, not to stop playing the game he loved.

FFS.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 15:52
    If a person studies a game of chess and is struck by an unimaginable beauty, elegant efficiency, amazing subtleties of strategic positionings, and breathtaking tactical combinations, the sense of some spiritual presence is felt, not unlike hearing Handel's Messiah, or the Mozart Requiem, or reading a passage of great literature. Diving in deeper, examining at the master level (maybe by reading a master's analysis of the game, or work of art, or scientific theory), only deepens appreciation. This was the presence of genius. the study may go on for centuries, and someday, milennia, still uncovering depths of genius that only the prime player/creator/author/artist knew, or somehow, even without knowing, created, or implemented, or acted on, or whatever he or she did. it was genius. that is the experience of playing through and studying a BF game.

Bobby Fischer's life was tragic. If we apply social values and diplomacy and rational behavior standards to his life. We find tragedy and a waste of genius. This is true, however, if we apply those same principles to many other geniuses. Richard Wagner comes to mind instantly. An endless list could be made.

I suggest that we honor the games and the mind that made the moves and that we let the human that he was rest in peace.
  4. Forum Moderator
    18 Jan '08 16:501 edit
    Duplicate thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree