1. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    20 Jul '05 21:29
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    20 Jul '05 21:31
    Once certain point ratings are reached, ie 2000 makes u a grandmaster 1700 an international master and so on
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Jul '05 22:451 edit
    No.
    Grandmaster is a title given out by FIDE. It requires you to have two GM norms (tournament performances above a certain level) and a rating of 2500.

No one here is a GM. I'm certainly not.
  4. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 02:16
    We could have something like sitemaster... but why bother? The best is im and he's not even gm material. He's just about im level I think.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 12:22
    I suggested something like this quite a while ago.

I think site 'ranks' would be a nice addition.
    The ranks would be something like military ranks or whatever.

The ranking system would take all site activities into account.
    Forum posts, recs, rating, number of moves, time as subscriber, tournament performance. Even sieges and clans could be taken into account.

A sergeant would be a relatively new member who has made some posts, gotten some recs and has an average rating.

A general would be a longstanding subscriber who has made many posts and moves, gotten a fair amount of recs, has a good rating and a tournament victory.

I think it would be nice.
    Also it would be incentive to subscribe and 'take part' in the community on the site.
  6. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 18:13
    Yeah, I actually like the idea. RHP could give its own titles and awards for a variety of things. They'd be a fun thing to strive for, and get us even more addicted to this site.

You could earn a title for staying above a certain rating for 100 games. And there'd be these titles for all different ratings, so every one could try to get one. You could have 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, 2000, 2200, and 2400. All of which would have some creative name that someone more clever than me can come up with.

We could also give awards for recs, holding sieges, improvement, MAP of the month, brilliant moves, and various other things. We already have "awards" for total moves, and tournament victories, so they don't need to be included. However, we could have an award for having a lot of tournament victories.

There could be a section in the profile where your title, and your various awards could be displayed.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 01:04
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I suggested something like this quite a while ago.

I think site 'ranks' would be a nice addition.
    The ranks would be something like military ranks or whatever.

The ranking system would take all site activities into account.
    Forum posts, recs, rating, number of moves, time as subscriber, tournament performance. Even sieges and clans could be taken i ...[text shortened]... e nice.
    Also it would be incentive to subscribe and 'take part' in the community on the site.
    I would absolutely not like to have military ranks. As for ranks in general, I don't care much one way or the other. Playchess has ranks which are named after chess pieces, I think.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 07:51
    Originally posted by ark13
    Yeah, I actually like the idea. RHP could give its own titles and awards for a variety of things. They'd be a fun thing to strive for, and get us even more addicted to this site.

You could earn a title for staying above a certain rating for 100 games. And there'd be these titles for all different ratings, so every one could try to get one. You could h ...[text shortened]... could be a section in the profile where your title, and your various awards could be displayed.
    No, no, you got it wrong.

Like you say, there is already awards for moves (star colors) and tourney victories in your profile. MAPOTM awards used to be in the profiles as well.
    If you have a good rating, you will be 'up there' on the rating tables and the same counts for MAP.

The whole idea of this is not to give awards for just one thing, but to put it all together. Take all activities and weight them the same.
    Tournament victories will have the same weight in this system as making X amount of posts, Y amount of recs, Z amount of moves and your position on the different tables.
    So someone who only comes here to make 5 moves a day will not be ranked high although he/she will (possibly) be rated number 1 on the site.

The idea is to get everyone 'active' across the site and involved in all activities including the forums, clans, leagues, tourneys, sieges etc. by giving this incentive.

BTW Norlys. I wouldn't really like the military ranks either - just used it as an example.
    I'm not very creative...
  9. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 14:32
    Originally posted by Crowley
    No, no, you got it wrong.

Like you say, there is already awards for moves (star colors) and tourney victories in your profile. MAPOTM awards used to be in the profiles as well.
    If you have a good rating, you will be 'up there' on the rating tables and the same counts for MAP.

The whole idea of this is not to give awards for just one thing, but to pu ...[text shortened]... really like the military ranks either - just used it as an example.
    I'm not very creative...
    Yeah, I like that too. Everything is worth points so that you get credit for participating in the site in which ever way you like. And the more different ways, the better. I think it'd be a good idea to just copy playchess and use the pieces. It'd be a simple system that no one could object to.
  10. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 15:51
    Yeah, I like that too. Everything is worth points so that you get credit for participating in the site in which ever way you like. And the more different ways, the better. I think it'd be a good idea to just copy playchess and use the pieces. It'd be a simple system that no one could object to.
    Some might object to being made a queen though! 😕
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    25 Jul '05 11:27
    Yup, that's the idea.

And on the plus side it will be very easy to implement and just a bigger incentive for people to subscribe.

If we use chess pieces or military style ranks or new 'awards', it doesn't matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree