1. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    23 Feb '09 18:25
    rating floors? Have you taken a look at some of the recently tournaments? In the lower banded tournaments the winners for the most part are 200 over the bands they won. Tournaments seem to be a great way of recovering rating points, but really do little more than treat the real players in the band as cannon fodder.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Feb '09 20:13
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    rating floors? Have you taken a look at some of the recently tournaments? In the lower banded tournaments the winners for the most part are 200 over the bands they won. Tournaments seem to be a great way of recovering rating points, but really do little more than treat the real players in the band as cannon fodder.
    Rec'd - maybe if we bug him enough, he'll get this done.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 05:03
    Rec'd
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 08:36
    rating floors?
    To deal with rating floors may be a good solution, but I also see some problems. Sandbaggers are always a problem. That's the real problem that should be attended to.

I'm sure that Russ, the creator, is aware of the problem. He will think out something, trust me. Perhaps he will come up with something more geniously than any of us mere mortals has ability to think of.
  5. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 13:451 edit
    I had a pretty good opp to really abuse my rating in a few banded
    tournaments (sub-1000) but chose not too as its just bad Karma.
    I'm a player who would have been effected by the rating floor, and
    I'll agree with these guys, it would have been scandalous to play
    at that level in banded tournies.

-GIN
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 21:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    To deal with rating floors may be a good solution, but I also see some problems. Sandbaggers are always a problem. That's the real problem that should be attended to.

I'm sure that Russ, the creator, is aware of the problem. He will think out something, trust me. Perhaps he will come up with something more geniously than any of us mere mortals has ability to think of.
    That's exactly what rating floors are designed to do; stop sandbagging. That's their primary purpose.
  7. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 22:25
    that would be nice, but those goddamned twirling clocks... please please can we have static ones?
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 16:06
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    that would be nice, but those goddamned twirling clocks... please please can we have static ones?
    What clocks?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 21:241 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's exactly what rating floors are designed to do; stop sandbagging. That's their primary purpose.
    There are sandbaggers everywhere, not only in banded tournaments.

I hate when I lose to someone 500 points below me because he lost many games right before he won aginst me, and according to his skill should have 200 points above me. He gets 30 points from me, not very well earned.

I hate sandbaggers wherever I find them. Rating floors don't stop them at all.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 21:39
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    I stop them twirl by hitting Esc button on keyboard.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 22:40
    There are sandbaggers everywhere, not only in banded tournaments.

I hate when I lose to someone 500 points below me because he lost many games right before he won aginst me, and according to his skill should have 200 points above me. He gets 30 points from me, not very well earned.

I hate sandbaggers wherever I find them. Rating floors don't stop them at all.
    It sounds like you do not understand how rating floors actually work, or do not realize that they have not been implemented on this site.

Here's what they'd do to help your situation. Say you start a game against an established 2100+ player. He would have a floor of 1900 [200 points below established class - classes are every hundred points]. No matter how many games he loses, his rating cannot go below 1900. This means he can never drop 500 points below you. If he beats you, he does so as a 1900 player at worst, and thus cannot take 30 points away from you.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 22:551 edit
    It sounds like you do not understand how rating floors actually work, or do not realize that they have not been implemented on this site.

Here's what they'd do to help your situation. Say you start a game against an established 2100+ player. He would have a floor of 1900 [200 points below established class - classes are every hundred points]. No matte ...[text shortened]... beats you, he does so as a 1900 player at worst, and thus cannot take 30 points away from you.
    Oh, if it's like you described, then I didn't understand it... Thank you for clarification.

Does this mean that, as an example, I go to jail (Yale?) or something, cannot reach an internet connection for half a year, then I only lose 200 rating points at the most? When I start playing again I start 200 points below my current rating? Correct?

What about my opponents, do they win rating points when I don't lose any?

I have to think this over again, perhaps I wont be so negative anymore, let's see...
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 23:151 edit
    Oh, if it's like you described, then I didn't understand it... Thank you for clarification.

Does this mean that, as an example, I go to jail (Yale?) or something, cannot reach an internet connection for half a year, then I only lose 200 rating points at the most? When I start playing again I start 200 points below my current rating? Correct?

What ab any?

I have to think this over again, perhaps I wont be so negative anymore, let's see...
    You can lose 299 points at most. You could be rated 1999 [and you must be established as an over-1900 player, meaning you have been over 1900 for several games in a row]; this is rounded down to the nearest hundred, and 200 points are subtracted for a floor of 1700. If you came back, you'd still be 1700. [This also keeps you out of low-band tourneys, and allows you to enter higher-band tourneys at a more fair rating, which helps everyone].

Yes, opponents who beat you when you're on your floor gain points while you don't lose any.
  14. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 04:471 edit
    You can lose 299 points at most. You could be rated 1999 [and you must be established as an over-1900 player, meaning you have been over 1900 for several games in a row]; this is rounded down to the nearest hundred, and 200 points are subtracted for a floor of 1700. If you came back, you'd still be 1700. [This also keeps you out of low-band tourneys, and ...[text shortened]...
    Yes, opponents who beat you when you're on your floor gain points while you don't lose any.
    That's EXCELLENT! Whoooo! 😀

Edit: No, this is not supposed to be funny. I really think it's an
    excellent idea, and I just got a little excited is all. I'm back to my usual self
    now, some five seconds later. 🙂
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 07:57
    As I have done a few times before I add my supportt to that idea. However I fear it might never come true

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree