1. Dublin
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 11:28
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, opponents who beat you when you're on your floor gain points while you don't lose any.
    Would this not lead to serious rating inflation?
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    rating floors? Have you taken a look at some of the recently tournaments? In the lower banded tournaments the winners for the most part are 200 over the bands they won. Tournaments seem to be a great way of recovering rating points, but really do little more than treat the real players in the band as cannon fodder.
    I think there should be rating floors for banded tournaments entry.

The players should still be subject to the normal +/- points for wins/ losses just be unable to enter banded tournaments that are not over their rating floor.

A 1900 player with a rating floor of 1700 will not be able to enter any banded tournament where the lower entry level is less than 1700.

I know this would mean that they couldn't enter a 1650/1750 tournament but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 18:321 edit
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Would this not lead to serious rating inflation?
    No, the inflation would only be minor. Besides, the main point of ratings is to compare playing strength relative to others in the same pool.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Feb '09 18:382 edits
    Originally posted by adramforall
    I think there should be rating floors for banded tournaments entry.

The players should still be subject to the normal +/- points for wins/ losses just be unable to enter banded tournaments that are not over their rating floor.

A 1900 player with a rating floor of 1700 will not be able to enter any banded tournament where the lower entry level is le ...[text shortened]... ould mean that they couldn't enter a 1650/1750 tournament but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
    The real problem is that nobody wants to play someone who is hundreds of points underrated. It's a lose-lose situation.

What is needed is a comprehensive fix, not just a band-aid for low-band tourneys. Higher-rated players like myself don't want to see 1300 players who used to be 1900 show up in our 1800+ tournaments, either.
  5. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 09:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, the inflation would only be minor.
    Hiya Swiss.

You make this bland statement of opinion as if it were an accepted fact.

Let's just make it clear (in case someone is new to this type of thread) that not everyone accepts that the rating inflation would be "minor".

Cheers,
    Gezza
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 13:28
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    rating floors? Have you taken a look at some of the recently tournaments? In the lower banded tournaments the winners for the most part are 200 over the bands they won. Tournaments seem to be a great way of recovering rating points, but really do little more than treat the real players in the band as cannon fodder.
    Let's get this one to at least a worthy 50 recs...!
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by gezza
    Hiya Swiss.

Let's just make it clear (in case someone is new to this type of thread) that not everyone accepts that the rating inflation would be "minor".

Cheers,
    Gezza
    Right.

If my rating is rising then I would like to know if my skill is better or if it's just inflational effects.

Inflation must be dealt with.
  8. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 23:02
    Hiya Swiss.

Cheers,
    Gezza
    As opposed to how it works now. A sandbager is risking to lose how much by joining a lower banded tournament? The legits are the ones that lose rating points to a player they hab no realistic chance of beating.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 23:24
    Hiya Swiss.

Cheers,
    Gezza
    Luckily, facts do not change just because a few people refuse to accept them.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 23:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Right.

If my rating is rising then I would like to know if my skill is better or if it's just inflational effects.

Inflation must be dealt with.
    I believe there was a thread a little while ago that compared USCF ratings to FIDE and ECF ratings. IIRC, the finding was the USCF ratings, at the top level, were about 50-80 points higher that FIDE ratings. That seems fairly small to me, especially given that not all of the inflation can be blamed on rating floors.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree