1. The sky
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 12:55
    Originally posted by stocken
    And your ranking is 472! 😀 Whoooo...

What does that mean? My figure is better looking. That's what it means. Now, if only figure were important to a man like me... 🙂

Oh, you mean the number is better looking? No wait, I was the one who claimed it in the first place. 🙄

[3 edits and nothing actually added. Pittiful. Well, this edit is added, of course.]
    A few days ago, my ranking was 444. I was very handsome at that time, now I have become ugly. :'(
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 14:01
    Quick comments on all of this.

Firstly, I hope all the bugs have now been removed.

It is a db optimisation. The rank is assigned at the time of the snap shot, and will remain until it is refreshed. (The frequency of which could be increased if people feel that strongly about it.)

There are a number of good reasons for making the change, the main being that the near static table results in plenty of cacheable queries, and optimisations for those that aren’t cacheable. The query times were unacceptable previously.

As for the won/lost/drawn stats, as their omission is causing so much upset, I can include those too.

-Russ
  3. The sky
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 15:25
    Originally posted by Russ
    It is a db optimisation. The rank is assigned at the time of the snap shot, and will remain until it is refreshed. (The frequency of which could be increased if people feel that strongly about it.)
    Thanks for taking the time to explain why you made the change. I still don't really understand the need for the inconsistency (i.e. why the tables are only partly static), though. Personally, that's what bothers me most (and I can already imagine the hundreds of threads about this by confused newcomers in the Help Forum). Increasing the frequency of the snap shots wouldn't help much with that. It also still wouldn't allow me to see my new ranking right after finishing a game (which I like to do, but of course I can live without it), so I don't really care whether it's refreshed once a day or several times a day. Just my opinion, others may have totally different preferences.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 15:32
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Thanks for taking the time to explain why you made the change. I still don't really understand the need for the inconsistency (i.e. why the tables are only partly static), though. Personally, that's what bothers me most (and I can already imagine the hundreds of threads about this by confused newcomers in the Help Forum). Increasing the frequency of the snap ...[text shortened]... ay or several times a day. Just my opinion, others may have totally different preferences.
    They are entirely static (for 24hours).

By searching or sorting the column headers, you are just searching within the ranked positions. It is possible some of the bugs caused more confusion, so take another look, and then explain the problem again if it remains. (which it probably does)

-Russ
  5. The sky
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 15:38
    Originally posted by Russ
    They are entirely static (for 24hours).

By searching or sorting the column headers, you are just searching within the ranked positions. It is possible some of the bugs caused more confusion, so take another look, and then explain the problem again if it remains. (which it probably does)

-Russ
    I probably wasn't very clear... What I meant with "entirely static tables" were tables in which not only the ranking is from the time of the snapshot, but also the rating, move number etc. As it is now, the tables show the rating, move numbers etc. as they are right now, but the ranking is from the time of the snapshot. For example, the player who currently is ranked 469 has a rating of 1713, while everybody around him/her has a rating of 1707. That's what I find confusing.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 16:20
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I probably wasn't very clear... What I meant with "entirely static tables" were tables in which not only the ranking is from the time of the snapshot, but also the rating, move number etc. As it is now, the tables show the rating, move numbers etc. as they are right now, but the ranking is from the time of the snapshot. For example, the player who currently ...[text shortened]... of 1713, while everybody around him/her has a rating of 1707. That's what I find confusing.
    Ah! Yes, I see. The player stats are real-time, just the ranking is cached.

-Russ
  7. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 09:23
    I agree with nordlys, if you're going to cache one you have to cache them both...
  8. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 13:41
    when is the new board coming?
  9. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:17
    or the new league seasons...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree