Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Copope
    Duck
    15 May '14 20:42
    When I logged in today, I saw the new front page. I'm not saying its bad, the graphic is actually good.
    The reason I'm sad is it reminds me of the front page at chess.com. I don't like chess.com. 50% of the pages(especially the front page) are ads.
    Do we need to have a site sold to us even after we are paying for it?
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    16 May '14 05:32
    Originally posted by Copope
    When I logged in today, I saw the new front page. I'm not saying its bad, the graphic is actually good.
    The reason I'm sad is it reminds me of the front page at chess.com. I don't like chess.com. 50% of the pages(especially the front page) are ads.
    Do we need to have a site sold to us even after we are paying for it?
    Here, have a cookie.
  3. 16 May '14 08:45
    Originally posted by Copope
    When I logged in today, I saw the new front page. I'm not saying its bad, the graphic is actually good.
    The reason I'm sad is it reminds me of the front page at chess.com. I don't like chess.com. 50% of the pages(especially the front page) are ads.
    Do we need to have a site sold to us even after we are paying for it?
    https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox
  4. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    16 May '14 10:02
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

    If a site has too many ads, don't use it.
  5. Standard member Copope
    Duck
    17 May '14 00:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people [b]do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

    If a site has too many ads, don't use it.[/b]
    I was perhaps not clear in my wording concerning the new front page. Being a sub' I don't have to deal with money ads' any more, my concern is Rhp becoming too chess.com like. The front page on its own is o.k. It's that I have seen too many times where an online gaming site tries to become one with its competitors, and it fail. It's your site so you can do what you want, I just hope whatever you do you do it better then them.
  6. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    19 May '14 16:40
    Originally posted by Copope
    I was perhaps not clear in my wording concerning the new front page. Being a sub' I don't have to deal with money ads' any more, my concern is Rhp becoming too chess.com like. The front page on its own is o.k. It's that I have seen too many times where an online gaming site tries to become one with its competitors, and it fail. It's your site so you can do what you want, I just hope whatever you do you do it better then them.
    This was understood, I was just making a general statement about adBlock.
  7. Standard member PureRWandB
    LovableLoser@Chess
    22 May '14 00:38
    I see where you are coming from copope, but it is a unfair comparison, ie apples and oranges.

    Chess.com (as a paying sub) offers Correspondence chess, live chess, instructional videos, etc, etc. at approx $100 p/year. ( I did that for one year)

    RHP is primarily Correspondence chess, forums, and a live chess offering that is improving.

    In general, you usually get what you pay for.
    That being said, if you are primarily interested in correspondence chess... there is no better place/price then RHP

    Getting my paid subscription soon.. or sooner if Russ likes/approves my heart-felt and honest opinion.
  8. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 May '14 10:06 / 1 edit
    Regarding the "look and feel" of this site (and other sites I will not mention ) there is an inevitability that the UIs will become closer over time.

    This isn't any kind of plagiarism, just a push to adopt common practices accelerated by the need to embrace new devices. (And the developers using common "tools" to achieve this.)

    I did see some future concepts for that "other site", and sure enough, for the UI at least, things are all heading the same way.

    The last UI change here wasn't that dramatic in my view, but certainly appeared to cause lots of upset (predictably though, it died down very quickly), so any major change will have to be very carefully managed.
  9. 22 May '14 14:55
    Originally posted by Russ
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people [b]do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

    If a site has too many ads, don't use it.[/b]
    Are you trying to tell us that you use a site like facebook without an ad blocker?
  10. 22 May '14 15:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people [b]do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

    If a site has too many ads, don't use it.[/b]
    I never have any trouble with ads, no trouble at all.
  11. Standard member RBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    23 May '14 07:01
    Originally posted by Copope
    When I logged in today, I saw the new front page. I'm not saying its bad, the graphic is actually good.
    The reason I'm sad is it reminds me of the front page at chess.com. I don't like chess.com. 50% of the pages(especially the front page) are ads.
    Do we need to have a site sold to us even after we are paying for it?
    It is a nice looking set though of chess pieces.
  12. 23 May '14 19:20
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Are you trying to tell us that you use a site like facebook without an ad blocker?
    Will take the lack of a response as a no...
  13. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    23 May '14 20:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Will take the lack of a response as a no...
    I genuinely don't run an ad blocker. On any site.
  14. Standard member Copope
    Duck
    24 May '14 07:03
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It is a nice looking set though of chess pieces.
    Yes it is, I can say that it has grown on me. At least its not a giant grey box like on the site in which we do not speak.