Sad

Standard memberCopope
Site Ideas 15 May '14 20:42
  1. water
    Moves
    15 May '14 20:42
    When I logged in today, I saw the new front page. I'm not saying its bad, the graphic is actually good.
    The reason I'm sad is it reminds me of the front page at chess.com.😞 I don't like chess.com. 50% of the pages(especially the front page) are ads.
    Do we need to have a site sold to us even after we are paying for it?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 05:32
    Originally posted by Copope
    When I logged in today, I saw the new front page. I'm not saying its bad, the graphic is actually good.
    The reason I'm sad is it reminds me of the front page at chess.com.😞 I don't like chess.com. 50% of the pages(especially the front page) are ads.
    Here, have a cookie.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '14 08:45
    https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 May '14 10:02
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

If a site has too many ads, don't use it.
  5. water
    Moves
    17 May '14 00:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people [b]do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

If a site has too many ads, don't use it.[/b]
    I was perhaps not clear in my wording concerning the new front page. Being a sub' I don't have to deal with money ads' any more, my concern is Rhp becoming too chess.com like. The front page on its own is o.k. It's that I have seen too many times where an online gaming site tries to become one with its competitors, and it fail. It's your site so you can do what you want, I just hope whatever you do you do it better then them. 😀
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:40
    I was perhaps not clear in my wording concerning the new front page. Being a sub' I don't have to deal with money ads' any more, my concern is Rhp becoming too chess.com like. The front page on its own is o.k. It's that I have seen too many times where an online gaming site tries to become one with its competitors, and it fail. It's your site so you can do what you want, I just hope whatever you do you do it better then them. 😀
    This was understood, I was just making a general statement about adBlock.
  7. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    22 May '14 00:38
    I see where you are coming from copope, but it is a unfair comparison, ie apples and oranges.

Chess.com (as a paying sub) offers Correspondence chess, live chess, instructional videos, etc, etc. at approx $100 p/year. ( I did that for one year)

RHP is primarily Correspondence chess, forums, and a live chess offering that is improving.

In general, you usually get what you pay for.
    That being said, if you are primarily interested in correspondence chess... there is no better place/price then RHP

Getting my paid subscription soon.. or sooner if Russ likes/approves my heart-felt and honest opinion. 😉
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 May '14 10:061 edit
    Regarding the "look and feel" of this site (and other sites I will not mention 🙂 ) there is an inevitability that the UIs will become closer over time.

This isn't any kind of plagiarism, just a push to adopt common practices accelerated by the need to embrace new devices. (And the developers using common "tools" to achieve this.)

I did see some future concepts for that "other site", and sure enough, for the UI at least, things are all heading the same way.

The last UI change here wasn't that dramatic in my view, but certainly appeared to cause lots of upset (predictably though, it died down very quickly), so any major change will have to be very carefully managed.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 May '14 14:55
    The single banner ad seems to serve us OK right now. I do ask that people [b]do not block ads though, seriously. Use the site for free, see some ads. That is the deal, and without it, sites like this can't operate.

Are you trying to tell us that you use a site like facebook without an ad blocker?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '14 15:381 edit

I never have any trouble with ads, no trouble at all.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 May '14 07:01
    It is a nice looking set though of chess pieces.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 May '14 19:20
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Are you trying to tell us that you use a site like facebook without an ad blocker?
    Will take the lack of a response as a no...
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 May '14 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Will take the lack of a response as a no...
    I genuinely don't run an ad blocker. On any site.
  14. water
    Moves
    24 May '14 07:03
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It is a nice looking set though of chess pieces.
    Yes it is, I can say that it has grown on me. At least its not a giant grey box like on the site in which we do not speak.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 08:56

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree