1. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 05:52
    Sandbagging = achieving a rating lower than the player's real strength by resigning games unnecessarily

The motive doesn't matter. It might be petulance or frustration at making a lousy start in a tournament. It might be a bid to get into a lower rated tournament.

Could the solution be to extend the time that your rating limit applies? Maybe from 100 days to 300 or 500 so that past demonstration of your strength haunts you for longer. Not perfect but the sandbagger would have to wait longer to get the benefit from crashing out. Your tournament entry rating will then be a safer metric for clan leaders to consider when arranging challenges.
  2. Amsterdam
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 06:42
    Originally posted by Mixo
    Your tournament entry rating will then be a safer metric for clan leaders to consider when arranging challenges.
    Mixo, have you noticed that there is this Thread 82439?
    Maybe easier to post your support there instead of starting a new thread?
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 12:06
    Sandbagging = achieving a rating lower than the player's real strength by resigning games unnecessarily

The motive doesn't matter. It might be petulance or frustration at making a lousy start in a tournament. It might be a bid to get into a lower rated tournament.

Could the solution be to extend the time that your rating limit applies? Maybe from 100 days ...[text shortened]... try rating will then be a safer metric for clan leaders to consider when arranging challenges.
    The only problem with your suggestion is, What if someone truely just had a lucky streak of chess and now has crashed back to their normal level of play.
    I've had this happen to me a couple times. With your idea I would have to wait much longer to enter tournaments or clan matches with players that are the same level of play as I.

I understand your frustration with sandbaggers. I have had the same frustrations in the past. But I don't think your solution that you suggested is the answer. The new system that RHP put in place for tournaments about a year ago has seemed to work out pretty well. It's not perfect, But it's way better, and has taken care of much of the problem with sandbaggers, for tournaments anyway.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 12:54
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Mixo, have you noticed that there is this Thread 82439?
    Maybe easier to post your support there instead of starting a new thread?
    That thread is about using an average rating for challenges - not really the same topic.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 23:241 edit
    Is a sudden drop in current rating accidental (absence due to illness or exams) or deliberate (sandbagging)? Victims of accidental rating slumps should not be treated like criminals by the RHP community.

Here's a possible alternative approach:

Display both CR and TER, along with a third "highest ever rating on RHP", together wherever appropriate, such as the setup screen for clan challenges, or the individual "enter tournament" screen.

This gives the viewer (player or clan leader) freedom to make their own decisions based on more information than is readily available at present.
  6. Amsterdam
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 11:14
    Let the TER be like it is now..

And remove any rating indicators at clan challenges so clan leaders have to do their research instead of simply relying on figures..
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 13:11
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Let the TER be like it is now..

And remove any rating indicators at clan challenges so clan leaders have to do their research instead of simply relying on figures..
    How about we leave the rating, and get better clan leaders.

P-
  8. The sky
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 13:17
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    How about we leave the rating, and get better clan leaders.

P-
    You are doing a great job as a clan leader. I haven't seen a single challenge issued or accepted by you that was unfair.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 13:33
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    You are doing a great job as a clan leader. I haven't seen a single challenge issued or accepted by you that was unfair.
    😵
  10. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 01:58

Could the solution be to extend the time that your rating limit applies? Maybe from 100 days ...[text shortened]... try rating will then be a safer metric for clan leaders to consider when arranging challenges.
    Radioactive69 and boarman did this in a spiteful manner towards the Chessaroos....they were temporarily removed from the team and asked to rectify the discrection however instead of accepting to amend the issue they took it upon themselves to write a nasty email followed by boarman demanding an apology when being re-accepted into the team....Radioactive69 is highly capable of playing at 1700 level however ditched all the games for the Chessaroos, which not only affect our team but others who are matching him up against 1000 rated players....Boarman also is capable of playing at a higher level than he currently plays as he too followed Radioactives lead by dumping Chessaroos games.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 15:133 edits
    Originally posted by barstudd
    Radioactive69 and boarman did this in a spiteful manner towards the Chessaroos....they were temporarily removed from the team and asked to rectify the discrection however instead of accepting to amend the issue they took it upon themselves to write a nasty email followed by boarman demanding an apology when being re-accepted into the team....Radioactive69 i ...[text shortened]... level than he currently plays as he too followed Radioactives lead by dumping Chessaroos games.
    You should have never let them back into your clan. If anyone in our clan is even timed out on one clan game they are gone. Unless they have a very good reason.
    As a clan leader I and others spend to much time trying to have a fun, winning, competative team to deal with that kind of bull crap.
    Either you want to be part of the team or you don't. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out if that's what you choose. Sometimes things change in peoples lifes that they just don't have time to be part of our chess team anymore. I can understand that. Just let me know and I won't give you anymore clan games. And please finish the ones you have.
    There is no reason in my eyes that you can't find the internet somewhere, and sign in to RHP, and move on your games at least once a week. You have a team depending on you. And with the new vacation system and everything there's just no excuse really, in my eyes anyway.

Thanks for the info on these two. I know I will keep my eyes open for them if they cross our paths.
  12. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 23:43
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    You should have never let them back into your clan. If anyone in our clan is even timed out on one clan game they are gone. Unless they have a very good reason.
    As a clan leader I and others spend to much time trying to have a fun, winning, competative team to deal with that kind of bull crap.
    Either you want to be part of the team or you do ...[text shortened]... the info on these two. I know I will keep my eyes open for them if they cross our paths.
    Cheers for your feed back, much appreciated....neither are now in the team and seeming they actually started carrying on this way and also given a second chance only to speak ill of this team they wont be accepted back even if they begged....They think they are getting under my skin but the truth is if they wont to act like children then it is fine by me, they just wont get the chance to do it again in my team nor harrass members of the team either....
  13. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 00:30
    Originally posted by barstudd
    Cheers for your feed back, much appreciated....neither are now in the team and seeming they actually started carrying on this way and also given a second chance only to speak ill of this team they wont be accepted back even if they begged....They think they are getting under my skin but the truth is if they wont to act like children then it is fine by me, t ...[text shortened]... ey just wont get the chance to do it again in my team nor harrass members of the team either....
    Please can you restrict this kind of thing to Thread 83023? Some of us are trying to follow this argument and it doesn't help when there are random posts all over the forums.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree