1. Amsterdam
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 11:13
    Right now, the current ratings of players are used to set up challenges..
    Many Clan Leaders look purely at this: bouncing challences when they feel that the average rating of the other clan is not matching their own, without looking at past performance of the individuals..

For tournaments there was already an adjustment in calculating the tournament entry rating since it was obvious that current rating was not the right tool to set up the tournament(s)..

I believe this can also be applied to the challenges..

How about using the tournament entry rating to come to the average rating of selected players for the challenge?
    Or any other method that will look at some historical average rather than current rating..
    I'm sure everybody can find many examples of players that have a current rating which is far from their true average level of play..

Look forward to your feedback on this one!
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 11:21
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Many Clan Leaders look purely at this: bouncing challences when they feel that the average rating of the other clan is not matching their own, without looking at past performance of the individuals..

For tournaments there was already an adjustment in calculating the tournament e ...[text shortened]... ch is far from their true average level of play..

An excellent solution of the rating matching solution in clan challenges!

There are two different strategies when accepting a clan challenge:
    (1) Same rating average, good enough, let's roll.
    (2) Compare each opponent rating and compare it with every of my players and only if every pair is okay then the challenge as a whole is okay.
    (And then we have something in between...)

(1) is the easy solution leaving my members unhappy.
    (2) is very time consuming and lessen the enjoyment of being a clan leader.

Every method to make the life easier for clan leaders and their members are very much appreciated!
  3. Standard memberStonewall
    General Jackson
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:08
    That is a great idea!
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:08

For tournaments there was already an adjustment in calculating the tournament e ...[text shortened]... ch is far from their true average level of play..

I think its good idea
  5. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:15
    Great idea, hoping it gets more attention with your post...my repeated requests go ignored.

Good luck.
  6. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:22
    I understand your idea... but it does remove from the clan leader a few strategical possibilities.
    Personally, I think that it is the job of the Leader to ascertain whether a challenge is either 'proper' or 'naughty'.
    I prefer the idea of a 'clever' leader being able to promote his clan better than a leader who simply clicks accept or decline. Think about it.
  7. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:24
    Good idea. I actually consider this already when setting up challenges, it is just not expressed when calculating the avarages.
  8. Singapore
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:33
    I like the idea of using the tournament entry rating during the challenges... I still check to see if I have equal players facing each other and wouldn't change this, but it would be a more realistic level for each user then the actual rating they have!
  9. Joined
    13 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:33
    I agree. It would make for less work setting up challenges.
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:37
    I go with English Tal on this one, now you have the advantage as a clan leader of setting up interesting challenges or accepting/declining challenges if you check all players out !

But I wouldn't have a problem if it would change though ..
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:38
    The tournament entry rating is a far more reliable player rating. I really don't want to have to vet every clan challange that's received to check if I'm being sandbagged.

Therefore I think this is great idea and very simple to implement.
  12. 100$ de l'heure.
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:43

Yeah, it's a great idea... I agree with the fact that the rating is often very far of the true average level... You have all my support on this case.
  13. Standard memberefilmar
    voyeur
    Zagreb
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:43
    good idea, i must say, but it will i think give even more edge to thural clan leaders over the lazy ones - every player has parameters which determins his play, for example, some enjoy sacrifices and have the same win/loose ratio with players 150 points below and above, some players tend to think less against lower rated players and much more against higher rated ones, and so on...
    with it, it would make my life easier because a lot of clan leaders would give even less attention to challenge proposals
    for example, i tend to waist approx. 5 min per pair when arranging or accepting a challenge, and then some 10 minutes to weigh the odds if this challenge is acceptable or not - it is really time consuming, but that is expected if you want to be a clan leader
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 13:50
    Also gets my recommendation. It is time consuming going through every player to see their past history. This will make things so much easier.
  15. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 14:07
    Originally posted by lausey
    Also gets my recommendation. It is time consuming going through every player to see their past history. This will make things so much easier.
    Although I agree with you and all others here, I would like to mention that it is not that time consuming compared to the time the Clan members spend on their games after a challenge has started.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree