Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 04 Sep '08 11:03
    Don't know if this has been suggested before, because i can't search the forums for the topic

    But instead of just searching for posts belonging to a specific author, add as a search option keywords as well. It shouldn't be hard to implement.
  2. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    04 Sep '08 11:56
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Don't know if this has been suggested before, because i can't search the forums for the topic

    But instead of just searching for posts belonging to a specific author, add as a search option keywords as well. It shouldn't be hard to implement.
    Done.

    D
  3. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 Sep '08 14:00
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Don't know if this has been suggested before, because i can't search the forums for the topic

    But instead of just searching for posts belonging to a specific author, add as a search option keywords as well. It shouldn't be hard to implement.
    This site has had a "Google Search" function for content on the site for quite some time now.

    Click on "Google Search" from the "Search Forums" page linked on the "Forums" page.
  4. 04 Sep '08 14:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This site has had a "Google Search" function for content on the site for quite some time now.

    Click on "Google Search" from the "Search Forums" page linked on the "Forums" page.
    It's quite lacking, though. Older posts often don't show up at all, and I really miss more advanced search functions, e.g. searching for posts about a certain topic by a certain user within a certain time period. Most internet fora have something like that. It would also be nice to be able to search the private fora. But this has been suggested many times, and so far Russ hasn't given any indication that it's something he's working on, so it probably won't happen within the next few decades.
  5. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 Sep '08 14:36
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's quite lacking, though. Older posts often don't show up at all, and I really miss more advanced search functions, e.g. searching for posts about a certain topic by a certain user within a certain time period. Most internet fora have something like that. It would also be nice to be able to search the private fora. But this has been suggested many times, a ...[text shortened]... t it's something he's working on, so it probably won't happen within the next few decades.
    Since the Google Search function only returns pages that Google itself would produce, I'm not surprised that the private fora are not searched. In fact, I'd be quite alarmed if they were.
  6. 04 Sep '08 14:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Since the Google Search function only returns pages that Google itself would produce, I'm not surprised that the private fora are not searched. In fact, I'd be quite alarmed if they were.
    Of course. But I would expect it to be possible by other means than Google Search.
  7. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    04 Sep '08 14:52
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's quite lacking, though. Older posts often don't show up at all, and I really miss more advanced search functions, e.g. searching for posts about a certain topic by a certain user within a certain time period. Most internet fora have something like that. It would also be nice to be able to search the private fora. But this has been suggested many times, a ...[text shortened]... t it's something he's working on, so it probably won't happen within the next few decades.
    It's... Oh, I'm not going to say it.
  8. 04 Sep '08 15:16
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's... Oh, I'm not going to say it.
    Finger Seal of Approval
  9. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    04 Sep '08 15:20
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Finger Seal of Approval
    I hope it's the thumb.
  10. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    04 Sep '08 16:15
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's quite lacking, though. Older posts often don't show up at all, and I really miss more advanced search functions, e.g. searching for posts about a certain topic by a certain user within a certain time period. Most internet fora have something like that. It would also be nice to be able to search the private fora. But this has been suggested many times, a ...[text shortened]... t it's something he's working on, so it probably won't happen within the next few decades.
    You often get better results if you search redhotpawn as opposed to the others.

    D
  11. 18 Nov '08 12:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This site has had a "Google Search" function for content on the site for quite some time now.

    Click on "Google Search" from the "Search Forums" page linked on the "Forums" page.
    it's kind of flawed. don't know how search is performed but certain results do not show up.
  12. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    18 Nov '08 19:35
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it's kind of flawed. don't know how search is performed but certain results do not show up.
    It only searches pages that Google have indexed.