Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    06 Mar '18 00:00
    Currently, searches of posts can be made by author; I think it would be more helpful if we could search old threads/posts using key words. Most people can remember parts of a conversation that was previously had, and a google-style search would be more effective in finding old posts.
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    06 Mar '18 15:28
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Currently, searches of posts can be made by author; I think it would be more helpful if we could search old threads/posts using key words. Most people can remember parts of a conversation that was previously had, and a google-style search would be more effective in finding old posts.
    Just do a google search starting with site:redhotpawn.com.
  3. 13 Mar '18 21:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Just do a google search starting with site:redhotpawn.com.
    From what I gather, google does not have access to the actual database. As such, more often than not, it's not going to get it done.
  4. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    14 Mar '18 01:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    From what I gather, google does not have access to the actual database. As such, more often than not, it's not going to get it done.
    It doesn't need access to a database. It just needs to crawl the forum pages.
  5. 14 Mar '18 11:53
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    It doesn't need access to a database. It just needs to crawl the forum pages.
    The point is that Google does not have all forum content available in its indexes. From my experience, it only has a small fraction.

    As such, doing "a google search starting with site:redhotpawn.com" is a poor facility for finding old posts.
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    14 Mar '18 20:49
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    The point is that Google does not have all forum content available in its indexes. From my experience, it only has a small fraction.

    As such, doing "a google search starting with site:redhotpawn.com" is a poor facility for finding old posts.
    You are right: it does not work so well anymore. It used to work very well. I suspect the recent change to forced-https is to blame. I'll have to look into it.
  7. 14 Mar '18 21:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    You are right: it does not work so well anymore. It used to work very well. I suspect the recent change to forced-https is to blame. I'll have to look into it.
    In my experience, it's never worked all that well.

    I imagine that it's a combination of how Google crawls web pages and how RHP generates web pages that display forum content.
  8. Subscriber 64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    18 Mar '18 20:37
    I agree a forum search using key words would be more useful than author.

    It would be even better if search results could extend beyond the current "one month" also.

    Is this possible to implement?