1. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 07:43
    how about calculating a separate rating based on whether players are using databases / books as they play or not?

based on the honor system; player hits a checkbox so stating, at the start of the game.
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 10:07
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    how about calculating a separate rating based on whether players are using databases / books as they play or not?

based on the honor system; player hits a checkbox so stating, at the start of the game.
    1. You don't know at the start of a game whether you'll be using books or databases for that particular game;

2. If you've checked the 'no books' box, are you prevented from reading any chess books for the duration of the game? Otherwise you might come across something relevant to the game in progress.

I think this is impractical.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 10:59
    Originally posted by Redmike
    1. You don't know at the start of a game whether you'll be using books or databases for that particular game;

2. If you've checked the 'no books' box, are you prevented from reading any chess books for the duration of the game? Otherwise you might come across something relevant to the game in progress.

I think this is impractical.
    you can DECIDE whether you'll be using them at the start of a game.

i'm talking about using aids to win a particular game.

but then again, re "coming across", the checkbox could be allowed to be marked anytime, since ratings are adjusted at the end of the game.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 05:41
    Originally posted by zeeblebot

This site is for correspondance chess, by definition database and book use is allowed, even encouraged. If you want something else then go play classical chess.
  5. Under the North Star
    Moves
    12 Sep '05 20:42
    I don't like the idea because I think two ratings would just make things too complicated. If it's based on the honour system, many users won't give a damn about it. Vacation flags are a good example.

Plus, I don't think using books makes any difference since both players are allowed to use them. If you don't have time to look up the openings, perhaps correspondence chess isn't for you. If you're just too lazy, maybe your opponent earns the points.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 11:37
    if (stupidIdea == 1) {

deleteThread();

}
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 11:38
    Dammit, it's not working....
  8. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 13:25
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Dammit, it's not working....
    Nice try, if a little harsh.

But seriously, Xanthos is absolutely right. If you play at this site, you accept that your opponents may choose to use books or databases.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree