1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 23:12
    I still believe that losing rating points for timeout losses is unfair:-
    1.There may be any number of reasons why a player is unable to play for a period of time.
    2.Once a players rating plummets due to timeout losses,his advertised rating is way below his actual ability giving a false impression for potential challenges.
    3.I rarely take skulls because I am prepared to give my opponents time to recover from unexpected events(floods, power cuts, illness etc etc.)
    Consider this example:-
    Someone who I am playings rating has plummeted because he didn't move for 20 odd days so I assume he has "lost" a lot of games by timeout.
    He has now moved
    If I now beat this player my rating increases by 1 point.If I lose my rating falls by 31 points.
    I know there will always be players who manipulate any system for there own advantage but surelythere is a discrepancy here?
    Discuss.....
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 23:231 edit
    Let that be the first 'thumps down' of many.

If this came in what's stopping someone from leaving the game in the lost position to prevent themselves from losing points? Didn't think this one through i see... If you lose on time you lose the game and should be deducted the points accordingly.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 23:272 edits
    Originally posted by venda
    1.There may be any number of reasons why a player is unable to play for a period of time.
    2.Once a players rating plummets due to timeout losses,his advertised rating is way below his actual ability giving a false impression for potential challenges.
    3.I rarely take skulls because I am ulate any system for there own advantage but surelythere is a discrepancy here?
    Discuss.....
    When you agree to the time limit, it is like a contract really.

You have said I agree to move in such & such a time.

If you don't and wind up timing out you have not kept up your end of the contract.

In the real word if you don't keep up your payments on your mortgage, car loan, or what ever the case might be, then you lose it. It is just the way the world works.
    No one cares WHY, only that you didn't keep you end of the agreement.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 02:12
    Originally posted by venda
    3.I rarely take skulls because I am ...[text shortened]... ulate any system for there own advantage but surelythere is a discrepancy here?
    Discuss.....
    I take time out wins, and seldom make exceptions.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 05:45
    There's a reason that the clock exists in chess

There's a reason that time controls can be chosen

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree