1. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 09:491 edit
    on the other hand, it should possible for users to delete their account and create a new one if they are not happy with their chasen name or want to change for some reason.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 11:14
    Originally posted by hAnimate
    on the other hand, it should possible for users to delete their account and create a new one if they are not happy with their chasen name or want to change for some reason.
    I don't think so.

If I'm not happy with my rating shouldnt be a reason to be allowed to delete and restart an account.

But it should be allowed to change the alias if the name is ill chosen from the beginning and one is not happy with it. But it should be said so in the profile though. Like in my case "Fabian AKA FabianFnas".
  3. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 13:38
    well, your rating is your rating, isn't it? you will have the same rating after playing nr of games, unless you learn something.

what I really meant to say is - as there is no waterproof way to prevent users signing up multiple accounts and some may do so for benign reasons like not liking their first choice for a name - why not give people the option to delete their own account, might save the administrators some trouble
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 15:07
    Originally posted by hAnimate
    well, your rating is your rating, isn't it? you will have the same rating after playing nr of games, unless you learn something.
    Interesting question really: "Your rating is your rating, isn't it?"

First, what is rating? Rating is a measure of your skill, right? In the long run, yes; but in the short, no.

Say that I find RHP and sign up or the first time. I happen to lose the 5 first games and therefore I get a very low rating. I know that I am worth more in rating (I compare it with my OTB rating.) So I will try from the beginning again, deleteing my account and start up a new account. Now I win the 5 first games and I have a very high rating. I settle with this, feeling proud.

Secondly: When I get some points, another lose the same amount of points. (After the provisional stage, of course.) If I have, say 1600 points, when I delete and resart the account RHP lose 400 points from our collective rating pool. The long run result is that the rating will inflate (or reflate) and will not stay stable. This is a problem, and therefore our rating cannot be compared with OTB rating, even other CC ratings.

But what can we do about people to deleting and restarting their account? Well, nothing. But I don't think it's a good idea to permit people to do this.
  5. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 15:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Interesting question really: "Your rating is your rating, isn't it?"

Secondly: When I get some points, another lose the same amount of points. (After the provisional stage, of course.) If I have, say 1600 points, when I delete and resart the account RHP lose 400 points from our collective rating pool. The long run result is that the rating will inflate ...[text shortened]... roblem, and therefore our rating cannot be compared with OTB rating, even other CC ratings.
    I don't think our ratings can be compared with OTB in the first place.
    I usually play when I'm doing boring work usually only half contentrated and sometimes relaxing with a beer... nothing preventing me inflating the ratings of every sober and serious player taking me on...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree