1. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 16:08
    Here we go again.

The open invites page is cluttered with absurd invites from people rated 1300 who ask for opponents 2300 rated, or others rated 1300 who ask for players > 1700 with a 21/28 time controls.

Obviously those invites are not so "inviting" for the players who should pick on them and they remain in the page for days and days.

I asked it before but I ask it again : why not implement a feature that automatically deletes an open invite once it has been up for 24 hours?
  2. Swansea
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 16:14
    But then they will just put them back up the next day when they are taken down so it's surely not worth the effort to implement this.
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 16:44
    Perhaps,but still it prevents the open invites page to be cluttered by absurd invites which are days old.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 17:43
    Originally posted by expressiveoutburst
    But then they will just put them back up the next day when they are taken down so it's surely not worth the effort to implement this.
    It could prolly be made to work automatically and hence it would be no effort at all really.
  5. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 18:35
    Maybe Open Invite restrictions should be available only within a range of your current abilities. So if I am 1400, then I can only add restrictions for my range (say 1200 - 1600) or only an upper limit of 1400, but I can't restrict beyond that.

If someone is truly 2000+ and wants to play only those people, then they should PM them. If a lower rated player wants a 'lesson' game, then maybe a 'FInd Opponents' Thread could be opened to find willing players. Maybe a lessons forum all by itself.
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 21:48
    What would make more sense is if the only open invites a player could see on the page are those open to them to accept. The rest are pretty pointless to an individual who cannot accept them IMO.
  7. Subscribernoxidjkram
    Data Warehouser
    Back in the UK!
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 22:03
    Originally posted by rhb
    What would make more sense is if the only open invites a player could see on the page are those open to them to accept. The rest are pretty pointless to an individual who cannot accept them IMO.
    That only really contributes in a small way to a solution to the above.

Lots of people will still see pointless invites in their rating range. Such as theose from a 1300 advertising for a 2000+

What is needed is something that truly addresses the issue.

Perhaps a configurable challenge page where you can tell it what challenges you would like to see.

For example - Use the challenge filter that is in your settings already to apply to the Open Invites page. That way you'd only see challenges you were interested in.

M
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 22:18
    Originally posted by noxidjkram

Lots of people will still see pointless invites in their rating range. Such as theose from a 1300 advertising for a 2000+

Perhaps a configurable challenge page where you can tell it what challenges you would like to ...[text shortened]... apply to the Open Invites page. That way you'd only see challenges you were interested in.

M
    Call me selfish, but it fixes it for me! Why should I care about the rest of you?!

You do make a good point though...
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 17:101 edit
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Here we go again.

The open invites page is cluttered with absurd invites from people rated 1300 who ask for opponents 2300 rated, or others rated 1300 who ask for players > 1700 with a 21/28 time controls.

Obviously those invites are not so "inviting" for the players who should pick on them and they remain in the page for days and days.

I asked it b ...[text shortened]... mplement a feature that automatically deletes an open invite once it has been up for 24 hours?
    Perhaps the 'open invites' page should only display games that you are able to accept. It could at least sort the invites so that acceptable invites are displayed at the top of the page.

I'm sympathetic to the idea of removing unaccepted invites after a time, but on a corr. site, leaving invites up for one week seems more reasonable.
  10. Standard memberJDK2
    Trainee Party Animal
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 13:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Perhaps the 'open invites' page should only display games that you are able to accept. It could at least sort the invites so that acceptable invites are displayed at the top of the page.

I'm sympathetic to the idea of removing unaccepted invites after a time, but on a corr. site, leaving invites up for one week seems more reasonable.
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    [b]Perhaps the 'open invites' page should only display games that you are able to accept

That is a very good idea!
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 13:131 edit
    For record's sake ,in the open invites page there are still some old invites which will not be accepted.

The oldest open invite was created on the 3rd June,go figure.

If the feature cannot be implemented at least some regular cleaning is needed.
  12. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 20:03
    I like the idea of forcing the band to include your grade. It cannot be too hard to check this. I don't do PHP, but in C or perl (add $ no names) , this would be:

if(lower_bound > current_grade) lower_bound = current_grade - 10;
    if(upper_bound < current_grade) upper_bound = current_grade + 10;

added 10 points because I felt like it.

Gezza
  13. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 23:47
    Just take away the open invite priviliges of anyone putting up such a ridicules one.
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 14:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    03 Jul '06 21:17
    Originally posted by noxidjkram

Perhaps a configurable challenge page where you can tell it what challenges you would like to ...[text shortened]... apply to the Open Invites page. That way you'd only see challenges you were interested in.

M
    Of course if each person can only see games they are able to accept then they can quickly and easily clean the list of pointless invites by accepting and deleting. It would mean that I wouldn't see a whole lot of people looking for < 800 which I can't do anything about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree