Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 25 Aug '06 12:46
    Suggestion of a new vacation system.

    (1) You have 35 days of vacation in every 365 consecutive days.
    (2) When you mark yourself as "On Vacation" the moves you'd otherwise get from your opponents are sealed and not available for you under your vacation. However, the time is still running for those games that you are in turn to.
    (3) Whenever you mark yourself as "Back from vacation" you will see every move being made during your vacation and times start running again.
    (4) If the 35 days runs out when you're still "On Vacation" you will be considered back from Vacation again and times is running as normal.

    Moreover:
    (5) It is polite to inform your opponent when you will be back from your vacancy.
    (6) When your time is out, your opponent may or may not skull you out.

    Clarification of certain aspects:
    (7) 35 days is 5 weeks, but by the system considered being 35*24 hours or 36*24*60 minutes.
    (8) I've chosen 35 days but of course Russ & Co perhaps have a better idea of vacation time bank.

    This is my suggestion of a new vacation system.
  2. Standard member bosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    25 Aug '06 13:10 / 1 edit
    REc'd.

    But I'd go less than 35 days..basically 10-25 days, enough time that you can take a break from RHP, but not interrupt the flow of tournaments and such..

    I'd make the system so that vacation days must be taken in chunks. For example you could get 7 4-day vacation chunks.

    There would be a minimum amount of notice time you would have to give (say 1 chunk), and a minimum amount of time in between vacation days, so that you couldn't come off for vacation for 1 day and then go back on vacation.

    I'd also make it 'respect vacation bank' a yes/no option when starting a new game challenge, so that people who insist on not having one do not.
  3. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    25 Aug '06 14:38
    Don't start new games when you know a vacation is coming up.

    Problem solved.
  4. 25 Aug '06 16:06
    Also, when their vacation time AND timebank has run out, they will still whinge cos you didn't wait another couple of days. Where will it end?
  5. 25 Aug '06 17:12
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Don't start new games when you know a vacation is coming up.

    Problem solved.
    A can't plan 6 month in the future.
  6. Standard member bosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    26 Aug '06 04:49
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Also, when their vacation time AND timebank has run out, they will still whinge cos you didn't wait another couple of days. Where will it end?
    Make timeouts automatic, end of story.
  7. Standard member bosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    26 Aug '06 04:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A can't plan 6 month in the future.
    Or in larger tournaments, years in advance. It's ridiculous to even suggest so unless your life revolves around nothing but chess.
  8. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    26 Aug '06 06:16
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Or in larger tournaments, years in advance. It's ridiculous to even suggest so unless your life revolves around nothing but chess.
    My life doesn't revolve only around chess.
    These forums take up a fair chunk of my time as well...
  9. Subscriber stratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    26 Aug '06 11:20
    Why make the existing vacation system more complicated than it need be , why not get rid of the vacation system all together?
  10. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    26 Aug '06 15:31
    Originally posted by STRATOSPH3R3
    Why make the existing vacation system more complicated than it need be , why not get rid of the vacation system all together?
    agreed, no more vacations, no more grace periods.

    When your time is up the game is over.

    I wish there was an option i could turn on that would automatically claim a time out at the moment it occurs.
  11. Standard member mrmist
    Moo
    28 Aug '06 09:18
    I like the vacation flag system as it is.
  12. 01 Sep '06 12:59
    Originally posted by c99ux
    My life doesn't revolve only around chess.
    These forums take up a fair chunk of my time as well...
    very funny sir