1. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 13:18
    This has probably been suggested countless times before but here it goes again...

How about a Swiss Banded Tournament? Group of say 20 players similiar strength, open draw first round, then normal swiss rules from there for 6 rounds. I realise it could take an age cos round 2 counldn't be drawn until all 1st round games finished but it would be worth the wait (maybe!). I like the idea of playing someone in competition just once as happens in OTB competitions.

What ye think?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 14:37
    But here we can play multiple games at a time eliminating the need for a swiss (which is in a small number of rounds you find a winner from a large field).
  3. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 15:27
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    But here we can play multiple games at a time eliminating the need for a swiss (which is in a small number of rounds you find a winner from a large field).
    There is no NEED for a Swiss. I simply would like one. Variety and all that.

And we can STILL play multiple games at a time in other tournaments, clan matches, challenges etc. How is that relevant to my request for a Swiss?
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 09:37
    You can also play multiple games in each round of a swiss tournament - it doesn't have to be single-game rounds.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 10:121 edit
    The advantage of swiss style tournaments is that you can find a winner among a field of 20 to 30 within 6 to 8 rounds. Because here we can play multiple games at once if you split that field into groups of 4 you can have a winner in perhaps 3 rounds (assuming there aren't a huge number of drawn groups and the final round is decisive).

Another advantage of a swiss tournament is that you can have a field with varied ratings and have class winners. We have banded tourneys for that here.

EDIT: It's not that I think swiss style tournaments are bad but I just think that they don't have any advantages in correspondence chess.
  6. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 08:54
    You are playing in a Swiss tournament Thread Killer thingy so why you dissing my request for one I can enter.

Seems as if you like things to be more equal for you than for others 😉
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 11:27
    Originally posted by malinga
    You are playing in a Swiss tournament Thread Killer thingy so why you dissing my request for one I can enter.

Seems as if you like things to be more equal for you than for others 😉
    That tournament is more social event than chess playing extravaganza.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree