Tag-team chess, substituting players so we can earn a break

Tag-team chess, substituting players so we can earn a break

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

AsIn Chess,SoIn Life

Moves
04 Apr 09

A recent mass resignation by a long-term member led to this exchange:

Originally posted by Shamash:

the post: now that brings up an interesting issue.

What Are some effective ways players have taken a break from games here?

Is there a way of taking a break from the site that works (even for non-subscribers) and is less self-destructive than resigning on all boards?

Am wondering, how have others handled this?

a reponse:

It usually comes down to either resigning all games, or letting them time out. If vacation time isn't enough of a break, there is no other alternative.

==============suggestion: =============================

Let's have a feature that in specific circumstances of need allows a player (perhaps a fellow Club member) of similar strength to take over the games of a player who must take a break.

Then we would no longer see, as we just did, an overnight drop in ranking of a tireless competitor who had worked hard in building up his ranking, from #18 to #5,666.

So I suggest finding and making available a fair way to substitute a comparable opponent for a player who must take a break.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
05 Apr 09

Originally posted by Shamash

Is there a way of taking a break from the site that works (even for non-subscribers) and is less self-destructive than ...[text shortened]... able a fair way to substitute a comparable opponent for a player who must take a break.

I think that would be fraud as defined by the tos.

S

AsIn Chess,SoIn Life

Moves
05 Apr 09

Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
I think that would be fraud as defined by the tos.
Naturally I mean structuring this option within the bounds of fair play. . .

. . . it's what a businessman does when he takes a government position and puts all his public stocks into a blind trust for someone else to execute trades.

. . . it's what team members do in a relay race

it is Not suggesting moves during the play of a game

Nor would it allow for a Consult.

it is completely replacing a player and completely taking over the game

I thought of it only on seeing the pain Korch was going through and thought there must be a more humane way of handling this type of situation

especially for a popular and respected leader of a clan who has so many well-wishers

that's all

if it won't fly, it won't fly

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Apr 09

Naturally I mean structuring this option within the bounds of fair play. . .

. . . it's what a businessman does when he takes a government position and puts all his public stocks into a blind trust for someone else to execute trades.

. . . it's what team members do in a relay race

it is Not suggesting moves during the play of a game

Nor would ...[text shortened]... ader of a clan who has so many well-wishers

that's all

if it won't fly, it won't fly
Too many logistical problems with this idea.

For one, how do you rate a game with a substituted player?

S

AsIn Chess,SoIn Life

Moves
06 Apr 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Too many logistical problems with this idea.

For one, how do you rate a game with a substituted player?
Yes, that ratings issue certainly looks like a deal-breaker.

I can see how you feel.

Yet -- let me ask you -- an option like this -- would it ever have benefitted you or members you know?

Let's see, you joined two years ago, now -- I was not here, then -- was there a period in 2007, say, when you or a fellow clan member or a friend might have benefitted from an option to take a break instead of resigning a great big mass of games?

By the way, I would only see such an option working if the opponent agreed to it at the onset of the game.

Anyway, let someone else champion this idea if it has merit. A subscriber, a member who has been here for years not months, and someone who plays large numbers of games at one time.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Apr 09

Yes, that ratings issue certainly looks like a deal-breaker.

I can see how you feel.

Yet -- let me ask you -- an option like this -- would it ever have benefitted you or members you know?

Let's see, you joined two years ago, now -- I was not here, then -- was there a period in 2007, say, when you or a fellow clan member or a friend might have ...[text shortened]... o has been here for years not months, and someone who plays large numbers of games at one time.
I have been advocating rating floors here for some time now. The idea is to prevent a rating from dropping below a certain point. In Korch's case, he has maintained a 2200+ rating over many games, so we'd round down to the nearest hundred [2200], then subtract 200 points. His rating floor would be at 2000, meaning that his rating would not be allowed to drop below 2000 no matter how many games he lost.

This way, if he ever came back, he'd still be rated 2000, which is much much closer to his true ability than 1400.

S

AsIn Chess,SoIn Life

Moves
07 Apr 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I have been advocating rating floors here for some time now. The idea is to prevent a rating from dropping below a certain point. In Korch's case, he has maintained a 2200+ rating over many games, so we'd round down to the nearest hundred [2200], then subtract 200 points. His rating floor would be at 2000, meaning that his rating would not be allowed to ...[text shortened]... came back, he'd still be rated 2000, which is much much closer to his true ability than 1400.
great idea, you have my support

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
07 Apr 09

Jesus, it's just a game, man.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
07 Apr 09

Is there a way of taking a break from the site that works (even for non-subscribers) and is less self-destructive than ...[text shortened]... able a fair way to substitute a comparable opponent for a player who must take a break.

Bad idea.

Everyone has a different style of play and it would be unfair on the opponent who suddenly finds himself against a totally different style of play and/or a possibly much stronger opponent.

How do you define comparable?

You could have two players rated around 1800, one only plays those at our around the 1750+ level, the other regularly beats up on 1400 rated players.

Are they comparable as their ratings are similar?