Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 18 Oct '11 18:56
    Sometimes the text shortens to exlude a "[/]"

This makes your reply automatically show up as the last [b or i] used.

I suggest either making the text shorten code refrain from deleting any []s or [/]s OR for any of these in a quoted post not to have any effect on the new post.
  2. 19 Oct '11 17:08
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Sometimes the text shortens to exlude a "[/]"

This makes your reply automatically show up as the last [b or i] used.

I suggest either making the text shorten code refrain from deleting any []s or [/]s OR for any of these in a quoted post not to have any effect on the new post.
    A better fix would be, if shortening text, to exclude both the [] and the corresponding [/], or neither.
    But that assumes that the post was correct in the first place. You can mess up a post by putting random, unpaired [] or [/]s in (like this[/i]) and that causes the ideal algorithm to fail. Then again, one could argue that such a post was broken to begin with, and if the quote is also broken, that's not the code's fault but the poster's.

Richard
  3. 19 Oct '11 22:20
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    A better fix would be, if shortening text, to exclude both the [] and the corresponding [/], or neither.
    But that assumes that the post was correct in the first place. You can mess up a post by putting random, unpaired [] or [/]s in (like [b]this
    [/i]) and that causes the ideal algorithm to fail. Then again, one could argue that such a post was brok ...[text shortened]... th, and if the quote is also broken, that's not the code's fault but the poster's.

Richard[/b]
    Then go with my second suggestion.

Make it so that code from a quoted post doesn't effect the new post.