1. Standard membersteelydan
    the Custerdome
    Bard
    Moves
    13 Jan '05 06:28
    This is pretty self-explanatory....and a very convenient option for mutually consenting opponents. Perhaps a player could send an official request for deletion....same as sending a 'draw' offer. If the opponent doesn't want to delete, then he simply plays on.

This may sound like a ridiculous idea, but i believe there are actually several different occasions where opponents would mutually appreciate the option.

steely
  2. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    13 Jan '05 10:07
    Originally posted by steelydan
    This is pretty self-explanatory....and a very convenient option for mutually consenting opponents. Perhaps a player could send an official request for deletion....same as sending a 'draw' offer. If the opponent doesn't want to delete, then he simply plays on.

This may sound like a ridiculous idea, but i believe there are actually several different occasions where opponents would mutually appreciate the option.

steely
    The idea of deletion is to UNILATERALLY get rid of unwanted challenges.

The only way to mutually get rid of a game once it has passed move 3 is to agree a quick draw. I can see why deletion may occasionally be preferable to a draw, but...

...the best solution is to really, really mean it when you commence a game! And then play it out until a win, loss or draw is genuinely achieved.
  3. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '05 11:28
    What's wrong with just mutally agreeing to a draw? This option should not be allowed for Clan or Tournament games.
  4. Standard membersteelydan
    the Custerdome
    Bard
    Moves
    14 Jan '05 05:26

The difference between mutually agreeing to a draw and mutually agreeing to a deletion is obvious: draws affect ratings, deletions do not.

Look, I'm not vehement about this idea....though I do believe it would be a nice addition to the options on this site.

I know you can simply play unrated games if you don't want your rating affected, however, in the event that both players would simply like to abort an in-progress game this would give them that option (post move 3). Same as the 'abort' option on ICC.... there must be mutual consent there as well for a game abortion.

I start my games with the intent to finish them, as I believe all RHP'ers do. This abortion option would just be a nice option.

steely
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 12:18
    I don't like it. I vote no on the mutual deletion idea.
  6. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 12:231 edit
    Originally posted by steelydan

The difference between mutually agreeing to a draw and mutually agreeing to a deletion is obvious: draws affect ratings, deletions do not.

Look, I'm not vehement about this idea....though I do believe it would be a nice addition t ...[text shortened]... s do. This abortion option would just be a nice option.

steely
    Well, a draw on a rated game should effect your rating. You can't just abandon games, if this is adopted it would no doubt get abused and would distort the outcome of tournament and clan games if high rated players could simply trade cost-free draws. Bad idea.
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 12:262 edits
    the players obviously are friendly,

the problem they must be facing is auto timeout,

this is only from tournaments at the present ...

should they be able to delete in this situation?

i say yes ... unless it allows both players to progress in a tournament ... then it should NEVER be allowed .

deletion is slightly better than a false draw ...

BUT there are more pressing tasks ... in a later patch i hope russ sorts this out.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 12:49
    Originally posted by flexmore
    the players obviously are friendly,

the problem they must be facing is auto timeout,

this is only from tournaments at the present ...

should they be able to delete in this situation?

i say yes ... unless it allows both players to progress in a tournament ... then it should NEVER be allowed .

deletion is slightly better than a false draw ...

BUT there are more pressing tasks ... in a later patch i hope russ sorts this out.
    A win gives 3x as many points as a draw currently in a tournament. Both players are punished for drawing if there is any decent chance for winning. This rule would allow people to avoid that, which I don't like.
  9. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 13:13
    Agreed. If it's implemented as optional only for non-clan or tournament games then fair enough but not for competition games.
  10. Internet
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 12:54
    I'd like to see it implemented in friendly games. Actually I have a game going where both me and my opponent would like to delete the game.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Jan '05 23:33
    Originally posted by Svin1
    I'd like to see it implemented in friendly games. Actually I have a game going where both me and my opponent would like to delete the game.
    Why not play such games unrated?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree