1. Joined
    10 Jun '13
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 13:38
    Got subs for vacation only to find:
    Timebank will continue to deplete during a vacation.
    &
    You must move in all games at risk of timeout before?? your vacation ends. Please book additional days accordingly. (what for?)
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 13:47
    Your vacation time is there to prevent against timeout not to stop your time bank from deceasing... how unfair would that be?
  3. Joined
    10 Jun '13
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 17:16
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Your vacation time is there to prevent against timeout not to stop your time bank from deceasing... how unfair would that be?
    Hands up - I probably misunderstood the way the vacation thing worked when I subscribed - I thought it would pause the game full stop including the timebanks.

One thing though, why would pausing the timebanks be unfair? Not convenient for an opponent admittedly but neither time bank decreasing seems perfectly fair to me. The vacation days are limited so it wouldn't be open to abuse - same as now - in any case players seem to be alright on RHP.

So am I right to understand that the way it works is that your timebank runs out but you cannot lose the game because of it? Makes little sense. So you're paying subs to be penalised in terms of timebank? I think a simple pause on a game would make more sense and be easier to understand. Why lose the timebank?
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 00:111 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 00:12
    Originally posted by The Kosh
    Hands up - I probably misunderstood the way the vacation thing worked when I subscribed - I thought it would pause the game full stop including the timebanks.

One thing though, why would pausing the timebanks be unfair? Not convenient for an opponent admittedly but neither time bank decreasing seems perfectly fair to me. The vacation days are limited ...[text shortened]... imple pause on a game would make more sense and be easier to understand. Why lose the timebank?
    What you're suggesting is that for the duration of your flag all your games would literally freeze on time, retaining all timebank etc...I'd suggest that a pause on a game 'as is' for potentially 36 consecutive flag days is somewhat unfair to your opposition... The clock ticks down regardless, and they cannot time you out for the duration of your flag, that is far more fair...besides, it's contentious, but there is nothing to stop you from moving whilst your flag is out ( we get into the realms of a 'casual flag' being flown whenever certain subscribers experience time problems in all their games...can you imagine if their clocks were stopped as well !! ) that way you can 'protect' yourself as best you can if you wish to retain some timebank etc.
  6. Joined
    10 Jun '13
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 01:08
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    What you're suggesting is that for the duration of your flag all your games would literally freeze on time, retaining all timebank etc...I'd suggest that a pause on a game 'as is' for potentially 36 consecutive flag days is somewhat unfair to your opposition...
    Why? Isn't pausing timeout for potentially 36 days just as unfair as they would have to wait anyway? Just as if you had to with a real life chess set.
  7. Joined
    10 Jun '13
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 01:22
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    it's contentious, but there is nothing to stop you from moving whilst your flag is out ( we get into the realms of a 'casual flag' being flown whenever certain subscribers experience time problems in all their games...can you imagine if their clocks were stopped as well !! ) that way you can 'protect' yourself as best you can if you wish to retain some timebank etc.
    If you can move while 'on vacation' then what's the point of flagging 'vacation'? It seems to me that you either pause a game for both parties or you don't.
    The slight protection against timeout was not clear to me at the start. I take it that the point is to discourage pausing games altogether whilst trying to accommodate those with genuinely busy lives. An unnecessarily complicated panecea? Just don't start a game if you're going away.
    Ho hum - no matter - my original umbrance was at being timed out I guess so the time bank depletion is just a little annoyance and I just approached it from the wrong side if you get my drift - nice chatting anyway- & speaking of busy lives..
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 13:02
    Originally posted by The Kosh
    If you can move while 'on vacation' then what's the point of flagging 'vacation'? It seems to me that you either pause a game for both parties or you don't.
    The slight protection against timeout was not clear to me at the start. I take it that the point is to discourage pausing games altogether whilst trying to accommodate those with genuinely busy live ...[text shortened]... ed it from the wrong side if you get my drift - nice chatting anyway- & speaking of busy lives..
    Enjoy your vacation!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree