Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Mar '10 00:08 / 1 edit
    Game 25344

    This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

    As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

    It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

    King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

    Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
  2. 30 Mar '10 00:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Game 25344

    This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

    As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

    It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

    King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

    Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
    Game doesn't show.

    However as there is always the possibility of a timeout win/loss it is unlikely that the current situation will be changed. The situation doesn't arise often enough.

    I am not staying I disagree, just that it may be more work than we think for something that maybe only occurs in 0.005% of games played.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    30 Mar '10 01:14
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Game 25344

    This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

    As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

    It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

    King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

    Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
    Is it a major problem for either of the two players to hit the "claim draw" button?
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Mar '10 01:23
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Game doesn't show.

    However as there is always the possibility of a timeout win/loss it is unlikely that the current situation will be changed. The situation doesn't arise often enough.

    I am not staying I disagree, just that it may be more work than we think for something that maybe only occurs in 0.005% of games played.
    Oops; try this one.

    Game 7285649

    There should not be the possibility of a timeout win or loss from a position that cannot possibly be won or lost on the board, even with the most unskilled play. [This is also a FIDE rule.]
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Mar '10 01:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Is it a major problem for either of the two players to hit the "claim draw" button?
    No; but I'd still like to see RHP follow suit on FIDE rules. This is an easy change to implement. Let's not have timeout losses in games where there is no mating material.
  6. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    30 Mar '10 05:55
    Highly recommend an RHP automatic draw for any game with insufficient material to mate, as stated in the opening thread. KvK, Kv K & N, Kv K& B
  7. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    30 Mar '10 17:14
    Originally posted by coquette
    Highly recommend an RHP automatic draw for any game with insufficient material to mate, as stated in the opening thread. KvK, Kv K & N, Kv K& B
    Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

    P-
  8. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    30 Mar '10 17:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

    P-
    No. B+N and B+B are winning. N+N only if the opponent cooperates. If in any situation a pawn is present, then there is a strong possibility the result is not a draw.
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    30 Mar '10 17:34
    Originally posted by orion25
    No. B+N and B+B are winning. N+N only if the opponent cooperates. If in any situation a pawn is present, then there is a strong possibility the result is not a draw.
    Ah, I thought there a situation where a Night could mate if the other guy 'cooperates' as you say.

    Same for Bishop, no mate when all alone with king?

    I had a guy drag an opposite color bishop game out. I messaged offer draw, he just went on. I offered again (not bothering, just 'saying' "it's a draw, offer when you realize).

    Finally after 30 moves he realized neither of us would win and offered a draw.

    P-
  10. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Mar '10 18:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

    P-
    No, there are none.

    To demonstrate, try just placing the pieces on the board to form a checkmate. Even with the lone King stuck in the corner, there is always one free square:





    Proof: No matter where he is on the board, the black King always has at least a 2x2 square to move around in.



    The white King is capable of guarding two adjacent squares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
  11. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    01 Apr '10 06:00
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, there are none.

    To demonstrate, try just placing the pieces on the board to form a checkmate. Even with the lone King stuck in the corner, there is always one free square:

    [fen]k7/8/K1B5/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]

    [fen]k7/8/KN6/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]

    Proof: No matter where he is on the board, the black King always has at least a 2x2 square to move around i ...[text shortened]... uares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
    Oh oh, I think I see a board with four black Kings on it. I'm suspecting an illegal position! Have fertility drugs arrived in chess?
  12. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    01 Apr '10 10:41
    Rec'd.
  13. 01 Apr '10 15:07 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, there are none.

    [fen]kk6/kk6/8/8/8/8/8/8[/fen] The last diagram with four kings...

    The white King is capable of guarding two adjacent squares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
    I see the draw, I see the draw !!!
  14. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    03 Apr '10 05:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Game 25344

    This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

    As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

    It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

    King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

    Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
    Of course.