1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 00:081 edit
    Game 25344

This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 00:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Game 25344

This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
    Game doesn't show.

However as there is always the possibility of a timeout win/loss it is unlikely that the current situation will be changed. The situation doesn't arise often enough.

I am not staying I disagree, just that it may be more work than we think for something that maybe only occurs in 0.005% of games played.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 01:14
    Game 25344

King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

Is it a major problem for either of the two players to hit the "claim draw" button?
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 01:23
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Game doesn't show.

However as there is always the possibility of a timeout win/loss it is unlikely that the current situation will be changed. The situation doesn't arise often enough.

I am not staying I disagree, just that it may be more work than we think for something that maybe only occurs in 0.005% of games played.
    Oops; try this one.

Game 7285649

There should not be the possibility of a timeout win or loss from a position that cannot possibly be won or lost on the board, even with the most unskilled play. [This is also a FIDE rule.]
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 01:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Is it a major problem for either of the two players to hit the "claim draw" button?
    No; but I'd still like to see RHP follow suit on FIDE rules. This is an easy change to implement. Let's not have timeout losses in games where there is no mating material.
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 05:55
    Highly recommend an RHP automatic draw for any game with insufficient material to mate, as stated in the opening thread. KvK, Kv K & N, Kv K& B
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 17:14
    Originally posted by coquette
    Highly recommend an RHP automatic draw for any game with insufficient material to mate, as stated in the opening thread. KvK, Kv K & N, Kv K& B
    Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

P-
  8. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 17:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

P-
    No. B+N and B+B are winning. N+N only if the opponent cooperates. If in any situation a pawn is present, then there is a strong possibility the result is not a draw.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 17:34
    Originally posted by orion25
    No. B+N and B+B are winning. N+N only if the opponent cooperates. If in any situation a pawn is present, then there is a strong possibility the result is not a draw.
    Ah, I thought there a situation where a Night could mate if the other guy 'cooperates' as you say.

Same for Bishop, no mate when all alone with king?

I had a guy drag an opposite color bishop game out. I messaged offer draw, he just went on. I offered again (not bothering, just 'saying' "it's a draw, offer when you realize).

Finally after 30 moves he realized neither of us would win and offered a draw.

P-
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 18:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    No, there are none.

To demonstrate, try just placing the pieces on the board to form a checkmate. Even with the lone King stuck in the corner, there is always one free square:

Proof: No matter where he is on the board, the black King always has at least a 2x2 square to move around in.

The white King is capable of guarding two adjacent squares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 06:00
    No, there are none.

To demonstrate, try just placing the pieces on the board to form a checkmate. Even with the lone King stuck in the corner, there is always one free square:

[fen]k7/8/K1B5/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]

[fen]k7/8/KN6/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]

Proof: No matter where he is on the board, the black King always has at least a 2x2 square to move around i ...[text shortened]... uares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
    Oh oh, I think I see a board with four black Kings on it. I'm suspecting an illegal position! Have fertility drugs arrived in chess?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 10:41
    Rec'd.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 15:072 edits
    No, there are none.

[fen]kk6/kk6/8/8/8/8/8/8[/fen] The last diagram with four kings...

The white King is capable of guarding two adjacent squares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
    I see the draw, I see the draw !!!
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 05:18
    Game 25344

King vs. King
    K/B vs. K
    K/N vs. K

Of course.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree