Any way to fix this?
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    23 Dec '11 14:57
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Example: Thread 143737

Any way to fix this?
    Why?

Threads are closed usually because there is unfitting content.

Any thumbs up/down are probably removed along with all the content.

Thumbed up posts that have been decided to be removed will warrant removal of any thumbs within that thread.

-m.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Dec '11 23:13
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Why?

Threads are closed usually because there is unfitting content.

Any thumbs up/down are probably removed along with all the content.

Thumbed up posts that have been decided to be removed will warrant removal of any thumbs within that thread.

-m.
    In the example thread, much of the content was left alone. Only the thumbs up/down was removed.

Threads can start out fine and then get hijacked and closed. The part of the thread that is still good should retain the thumbs up/down stats.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '11 00:22
    All threads are closed after 3 months of inactivity. When they're closed the thumbs go with them... i agree they should remain like the old recs did.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '11 19:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    In the example thread, much of the content was left alone. Only the thumbs up/down was removed.

Threads can start out fine and then get hijacked and closed. The part of the thread that is still good should retain the thumbs up/down stats.
    I agree, some threads get closed for being/becoming in appropriate and others after 90 days anyway. The opinioned stuff should remain easily recognisable by retaining the thumbs.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 17:23
    I have thought about this phenomenon of 'thumbs up' for a while...

Thumbs up? Where?
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Dec '11 18:48
    Who cares about thumbs ups and thumbs downs? Not me mister! The subject hardly ever comes up with me, know why? I don't care about them. Thumb here, thumb there, I don't even look at them. Get over thumbs before they destroy your life!
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Dec '11 22:11
    I miss the old recs. You could always find something worth reading in the Recommended then. Now it's just full of rubbish.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 00:34
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I miss the old recs. You could always find something worth reading in the Recommended then. Now it's just full of rubbish.
    That's because the interesting posts get so many thumbs down by the jealous crowd that they never register on the recommended page. A simple way to prevent that is by disregarding the thumbs down column on the recommended page as was suggested by me then the system was changed... i think the suggestion got about 2o thumbs down. Now who's looking stupid.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 23:27
    Originally posted by Trev33
    That's because the interesting posts get so many thumbs down by the jealous crowd that they never register on the recommended page. A simple way to prevent that is by disregarding the thumbs down column on the recommended page as was suggested by me then the system was changed... i think the suggestion got about 2o thumbs down. Now who's looking stupid.
    Interesting?

One of the famous posters here with a huge amount of recs was Bowmann. Remember Bowmann? He wasn't interesting so much as petty, abrasive, misogynistic, childish and vain. That is why he got recs. Not because he was "interesting" or "added value to the site".

The current system balances popularity with common sense. Basing the system on popularity only would only return to those "thrilling days of yesteryear" when bullies were gods. The posts then were just as much rubbish as now, btw.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 04:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Interesting?

One of the famous posters here with a huge amount of recs was Bowmann. Remember Bowmann? He wasn't interesting so much as petty, abrasive, misogynistic, childish and vain. That is why he got recs. Not because he was "interesting" or "added value to the site".

The current system balances popularity with common sense. Basing the system ...[text shortened]... esteryear" when bullies were gods. The posts then were just as much rubbish as now, btw.
    Yes, interesting. Of course there are, like with everything - exceptions. On general however there's more interesting posts that miss out on a first page appearance under the new system than there should be.

I can think of 3 users that are getting a thumbs down on every other post, at least the billies on the previous system were on public view with their comments, now you get to bully people with your thumbs down without anyone ever knowing how petty and childish you are.

I'll give you one example of many to make my point.

Thread 142739

6 thumbs down for as the second poster in the thread described as an interesting post. A poster that doesn't post a lot and to top it off also got a petty thumbs down for his post... how does the RHP forums look when posts that actually show a bit of imagination like this never register on the recommended page simply because a certain number of people dislike the poster? I'm sure there's a few people who rarely enter many threads but do on occasion check out the recommended page to see if there's anything interesting, why should they miss out because of people pettiness?

There was a rec limit put in place, to give this idiotic thumbs up/down system any integrity there needs to at the very least be another limit set in place.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 01:54
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I'll give you one example of many to make my point.

Thread 142739

6 thumbs down for as the second poster in the thread described as an interesting post. A poster that doesn't post a lot and to top it off also got a petty thumbs down for his post... how does the RHP forums look when posts that actually show a bit of imagination like this ne ...[text shortened]... p/down system any integrity there needs to at the very least be another limit set in place.
    I wonder if your derision of the current system has anything to do with that it's *your* thread you mention as getting these "undeserved" thumbs down.

It got 7 up and 7 down. Incredibly average if you ask me. You seem like you're tossing your binky out the pram because you're not getting enough attention.

Obviously, you're not the "literary genius" you seem to think you are.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 03:27
    I wonder if your derision of the current system has anything to do with that it's *your* thread you mention as getting these "undeserved" thumbs down.

It got 7 up and 7 down. Incredibly average if you ask me. You seem like you're tossing your binky out the pram because you're not getting enough attention.

???

That post deserved thumbs up... thumbs down should be used to say a post is bad or uninteresting.

If everybody can just thumbs down a post that took a lot of thought and actually contained content then all this rubbish that gets posted in the STG and TWG will just continue to be the most popular rubbish.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 08:05

Posted by anyone else other than GB maybe and it would've never received so many thumbs down. But like i said that was one post in many i could have given as an example but your reply makes my point. Incredibly average posts don't get 7 thumbs up and 7 down and that's a hell of a lot more attention than the majority of posts gets on these forums.

Don't put quotation marks over something i didn't say, i believe it was 'literacy gold' and it regarding something something that has nothing to do with this thread and certainly wasn't taken seriously by the two people it concerned.
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 11:31

Come on Suzi, that's a bit harsh.

I agree with Trev's point - even if it was his post. I'll take the opportunity to make that the same thing happens to me since the thumbs up/down. If you recall, a few times a year I spend some time creating a post that contains all of the most recent GF poster's names. In the old system those posts would receive in the region of 15-20 recs. My last, had 13 ups and 9 downs - now why would that be? Because people can now just easily have a dislike for the poster, as Trev says? For sure!!

If a bit of inspired posting appears from anybody - it should be for positive thumbs or recs only, and not a bandwagon of haters for that member who suddenly enjoy a thumbs down - ignoring the post content.

There is something lacking in this ability, for anybody but anybody, to simply dismiss content, effort, thought, and credibility and just click a down pointing thumb for the heck of it - without thought.

Wouldn't you agree on that one?

-m.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree