Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    28 Sep '13 20:24 / 1 edit
    What are your thoughts about adding a 0 days time out setting to the current game time controls?
    You could set up a game with no time out period, but still have a time bank.
    The time bank for one player or the other would always be counting down, with no resetting of time.
    It would be like a chess clock in an OTB game.

For example, if you set up a game with 0 timeout and a 1 day timebank, that would give about two days total elapsed time to finish the game before someones time is used up, assuming that each player is moving about as often as the other one.

You would have the option to select more than a 1 day timebank, but it would still add serious time pressure to keep the game moving along.

I'm sure it wouldn't be for everyone, but it still might be interesting. Sort of a slow-motion rated blitz game!
    You would have to have plenty of time on your hands and not stray too far from your internet connection!
    It would probably also be good to be in time zones that aren't too far apart!
  2. Subscriber Kewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    28 Sep '13 22:03
    Couldn't play it myself - not enough frequent movers in my timezone - but I'd support adding it as an option.
  3. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    29 Sep '13 06:30
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    What are your thoughts about adding a 0 days time out setting to the current game time controls?
    The time bank for one player or the other would always be counting down, with no resetting of time.

For example, if you set up a gam ...[text shortened]... ernet connection!
    I wouldn't use it; I don't want to lose games because my opponent moves when I'm asleep. But hey, if other people want to risk it, whatever.
  4. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    29 Sep '13 19:12

For example, if you set up a gam ...[text shortened]... ernet connection!
    Doesn't this "setting" already exist for numerous tournaments, or am I misunderstanding your idea?
  5. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    29 Sep '13 19:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    Doesn't this "setting" already exist for numerous tournaments, or am I misunderstanding your idea?
    I just checked and yes, there are a couple of "hardcore" tournaments that I can see with a 0 day timeout and 21 day timebank. That's what I'm talking about having available for our regular games, but it currently does not exist.

There is a '0 day' choice for time bank, but for time out the smallest choice is '1 day'. So all that is needed is for Russ to add the '0 day' choice for time out.

There would probably need to be something to prevent selecting '0 day' for both time out and time bank, however. That would result in an instant skull, I think.
  6. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    29 Sep '13 23:11
    I just checked and yes, there are a couple of "hardcore" tournaments that I can see with a 0 day timeout and 21 day timebank. That's what I'm talking about having available for our regular games, but it currently does not exist.

There is a '0 day' choice for time bank, but for time out the smallest choice is '1 day'. So all that is needed is for Russ t ...[text shortened]... day' for both time out and time bank, however. That would result in an instant skull, I think.
    Yes,I just checked on clan challenges and the "hardcore" option isn't there.
    Probably wouldn't be too difficult for the admins to allow it in all formats.
    I have read your profile regarding your preferences and if I could make a suggestion:-
    The M.U.T.IClub 335 is very accomodating with regard to arranging tournaments at members request and most of the challenges LEUR(our illustrious leader) sets up are on a "one to one" basis over a number of rounds.
    At this time there are a number of "banded" tournaments available to members with 0 timeout 50 day timebank so why not take a look?