1. Joined
    18 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 08:151 edit
    I recently lost a game to a timeout because I trusted the other player not to claim a timeout over the weekend as per our agreement (the game had a 1 day timelimit). I beat him fairly (he even complemented the way I did it) and what happens next? He claims a win over a weekend.

Now I have no problem with the fact that I didn't move within the timeout period and as a result got timed out, but I'd like to see a moderated forum where people with ligitimate complaints can have the issue investigated and if the person is found to be guilty as charged, he gets named so other players will be warned against trusting him.

At the same time, if you do lodge a complaint and it's found that the other player is innocent, you get named yourself for causing trouble when there is none.

I understand it might be too difficult to implement due to time issues for moderators, but I thought I'd throw it at you guys anyways...

Keep well everyone...

Oh yes, I'll throw out the sour grapes within the next minute or so... Just had to vent a little...
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 08:33
    I think you said it better in your other post - "lesson learnt" - next time don't accept a 1 day game with no time bank.
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 09:02
    Yep, I agree... Next lesson, never post when you're peeved and need to vent...
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 19:45
    Originally posted by BigBadWolf
    Yep, I agree... Next lesson, never post when you're peeved and need to vent...
    At least allow a cooling off period. Although the idea isn't beyond the realms of the site's technology, you'd simply have to name the move numbers and game number that the relevent conversation took place and they could be posted with the complaint. Your opponent would of course be able to reply and post any other parts of your conversation to show why they did it.
    It is possible that your opponent made an honest mistake - the skulls are hard to resist, especially if (s)he had a lot of games on. Normally I'll allow extra time for opponents but I'm in far too many games and will time all but a few people out at the first available opportunity at the moment.
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    12 Jul '05 09:15
    I recently lost a game to a timeout because I trusted the other player not to claim a timeout over the weekend as per our agreement (the game had a 1 day timelimit). I beat him fairly (he even complemented the way I did it) and what happens next? He claims a win over a weekend.

Now I have no problem with the fact that I didn't move within the timeout ...[text shortened]... es, I'll throw out the sour grapes within the next minute or so... Just had to vent a little...
    I have just posted a new post under 'holidays and timeouts' asking if it would be possible to have an annual holidays allowance say 30 days? whereby a player could postpone the need to move as and when required up to the limit of the annual allowance.
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    12 Jul '05 12:55
    Managing your time is just as critical as making the right moves. They go hand-in-hand. Failing to move within the agreed timeframe (you agreed to it when you accepted the game) is just as bad as leaving your queen en-prise. In fact, it's worse. VERY BAD MOVE! And so you were beaten, fair and square.

No moderation required.

7. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Jul '05 23:25
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Managing your time is just as critical as making the right moves. They go hand-in-hand. Failing to move within the agreed timeframe (you agreed to it when you accepted the game) is just as bad as leaving your queen en-prise. In fact, it's worse. VERY BAD MOVE! And so you were beaten, fair and square.

No moderation required.

Win claiming at the first opportunity is poor etiquette.

Especially on a 24 hour game.
    Especially if you could have timed out your opponent at an earlier stage in that game. Especially if your opponent let you know when they could make their next move.
    Especially on Christmas Day
    Especially when a p1200 player has randomly challenged you to a game because you are active and in your benevolence to encourage new people to the site have played along with a game that you don't really need.

Honestly I'm not bitter but whilst I understand the "war is war loser" argement that is often vented in these forums, fair play should be encouraged.

A NAME AND SHAME them page - could warn other players of possible ill mannered shallow opponents.

8. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    12 Jul '05 23:44
    Originally posted by invigorate

Honestly I'm not bitter but whilst I understand the "war is war loser" argement that is often vented in these forums, fair play should be encouraged.

A NAME AND SHAME them page - could warn other players of possible ill mannered shallow opponents.
    Fair play is playing by the rules.

Heaven forbid that we NAME AND SHAME players for playing by the rules.

Yes, it is nice if people give leeway or allow their opponents more time. But it should be completely at the player's discretion. Ultimately, the only reason the skull appears is because the other player has failed to abide by the agreed upon time restraints. It is like a breech of contract. Yes, the plaintive may overlook the breech if he/she wishes to, but if he/she does not and decides to claim the win, it is a blameless act. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the player who failed to abide by the time restraints.

It really is that simple.
  9. Joined
    16 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '05 01:17
    if the day was so important then the other player ran the risk of timing out as well, not just the first. Like X-mas.
  10. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    13 Jul '05 09:40
    How about a box next to the board stating the timebank/timeout and time remaining. I know this info is available in "my games" but with random challenges and many games in progress it is often a while until you get back to the "my games" page.

This would give the person who has been challenged a better chance to delete the game should they not like the time parameters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree