1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 05:23
    Originally posted by skeeter
    What an absolute flouncer. This is a corresspondence chess site and FIDE rules and regs don't rate or apply here. Jesus wept.

skeeter
    "FIDE rules don't ... apply here"

If we don't use FIDE rules here, what rules do apply?
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '02
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 10:01
    Before this dicuss goes any further let me try and clarify what I'm talking about:

I would like to see in the future, a game where a players claims a timeout that a win is only awarded if the player has mating material.

I am NOT complaining about the result of my game. My opponent was fully entitled to claim the timeout in this game. The rules awarded him the win. Those rules where there when we started and both my opponent and myself must abide by them as we agreed, by starting the game, on those rules. Therefore my opponent was correctly awarded 3 points.

I was of the mistaken view that this rule was already there before the game started, my fault for not checking. Now I am aware it is not, I would like to see a change for future games, but only if the majority agree. This rule has applied in all over the board games I have ever played but that may not be the case everywhere.

So, can we get the discussion back on track:

Do the majority agree/disagree that to claim a timeout win a player must have mating material, otherwise, he must claim a timeout draw.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 11:22
    Originally posted by crusoe
    Do the majority agree/disagree that to claim a timeout win a player must have mating material, otherwise, he must claim a timeout draw.
    I'm not sure about the majority, but I'm in for a change of the rule of your proposal.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm not sure about the majority, but I'm in for a change of the rule of your proposal.
    I'm not...

Skeeter wept!

P-
  5. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "FIDE rules don't ... apply here"

If we don't use FIDE rules here, what rules do apply?
    My quick search through the following actually shows a precedent for how the site is currently implemented:

International Correspondence Chess Federation:
    http://www.iccf.com/rules/rules_050101_all_webserver.shtml
    British Federation for Correspondence Chess
    http://www.bfcc-online.org.uk/files/teams/rules.htm

As timeouts, etc. are fixed, I would not propose to actually implement all of this stuff. If people want to play by ICCF rules, there is a whole site devoted to it. It was not worth my time to investigate any more.

My preference would be for the site to say which rules apply.
  6. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:23
    Originally posted by crusoe
    I would prefer to have a timeout win require mating material, as the FIDE rules for over the board chess.

Skeeter wept!
    Phlabibit wept too!
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:40
    Originally posted by gezza
    My quick search through the following actually shows a precedent for how the site is currently implemented:

International Correspondence Chess Federation:
    http://www.iccf.com/rules/rules_050101_all_webserver.shtml
    British Federation for Correspondence Chess
    http://www.bfcc-online.org.uk/files/teams/rules.htm

As timeouts, etc. are fixed, I would not pr ...[text shortened]... y time to investigate any more.

My preference would be for the site to say which rules apply.
    It's interesting that the ICCF rules differ between webserver games and email/post games where timeouts have to be claimed through a tournament director (who will presumably award only a draw where appropriate). So it appears that this is a rule of chess, but no one has found a way to implement it in a webserver environment.
  8. Joined
    03 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 23:35
    I'm with Crusoe... he has a valid point and it shouldn't hard to implement. Plus give the guys some credit, he's not complaining about the situation just wanting a change.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 14:04
    Originally posted by caballo blanco
    I'm with Crusoe... he has a valid point and it shouldn't hard to implement. Plus give the guys some credit, he's not complaining about the situation just wanting a change.
    The problem that is raised is now a person needs to view the game and decide if it's draw or win. The solution is to move before your time expires.

P-
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '02
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 09:28
    Shouldn't need anyone to view the board. Just as the game currently checks for mate after every move it could check the piece count at timeout.
  11. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:37
    For what it's worth, I also think it should be a draw if your opponent times out but you have only a King. I had come onto this forum to suggest the same thing and found this thread already here.
  12. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 14:43
    Its only a game.

(my penny worth)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree