1. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 16:58
    example: Two players both have the same number of wins and loses.

Half of one players wins are t/outs, while the other players has no t/out wins.

Assuming everything else is equal (opponents) should these two players have the same rating? I.e. consider giving t/o wins less weight, especially if they are the proponderance (sp?).
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 18:163 edits
    If you are going to decide that timeout wins are lesser than resignations or checkmates, you're really going to have to also consider the position. How many points for a clearly won position, how many when the game hangs in the balance, how many if objectively losing? But then the same applies to resignations, some people resign for various reasons when ahead, how should those be treated? How could these positions be evaluated? Who would do it? Would positional factors be taken into account (it isn't hard to create a position whereby the side with fewer material resources actually has the better chances of winning.

Also would this make much difference? Players ratings might rise slightly, but then in turn they'll tlose more for defeats, remaining around the same level. Besides, large numbers of us have picked them up from time to time.

The bigger problem, which primarily affects tournaments is what to do with players who suffer large numbers of such timeouts, but there are enough threads about discussing alternative solutions to that one.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 20:22
    In other words, if you stopped playing in a game one move before being checkmated you would lose less rating points?
  4. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 20:34
    I was thinking more in terms of winning mult time outs - if it comprised a large portion of your wins........

But no easy answer and I appreciate your responses and the complexity. Overall probably a pretty minor issue.
  5. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 01:121 edit
    Or how about time-out wins and losses being included in a players profile statistics?

eg:
    Won 345 (92 T/O)
    Drawn 16
    Lost 437 (0 T/O)

EDIT: Then at least you could see if the player is likely to take your skull if he sees it...
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 03:20
    Originally posted by c99ux
    Or how about time-out wins and losses being included in a players profile statistics?

eg:
    Won 345 (92 T/O)
    Drawn 16
    Lost 437 (0 T/O)

EDIT: Then at least you could see if the player is likely to take your skull if he sees it...
    And as an added bonus perhaps next time Dustn shows up someone won't jump to recruit him for the month he's around before he times out in a hundred games again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree