1. Joined
    27 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 May '08 22:39
    Hello all,

How about implementing touch-move, whereby a player must play the piece he first clicks on, unless all moves by that piece are illegal, in which case he can touch another piece. I think this would make games more interesting and more like in-person chess.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 May '08 23:06
    Originally posted by trumbull2400
    Hello all,

How about implementing touch-move, whereby a player must play the piece he first clicks on, unless all moves by that piece are illegal, in which case he can touch another piece. I think this would make games more interesting and more like in-person chess.
    The only reason that rule is enforced in OTB chess is to stop people from fiddling with the pieces throughout their turn, and thus distracting the opponent.

In an online game, there is no such problem, and thus no need for a touch-move rule. Even blitz chess sites like ICC don't use touch-move.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 May '08 04:25
    i know i'll get in trouble for admitting this but sometimes i cheated and touched the pieces on my RHP screen before i moved.
  4. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    27 May '08 06:171 edit
    I disagree with touch move.

Un'recced

Coquette - I also admit that I am a chess piece toucher.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 May '08 07:07
    We duffers need to be able to make experimental moves, how else are we going to learn? You want touch-move, go and play blitz! 😛
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 May '08 23:03
    Hello all,

This is not in-person chess. This is correspodence chess, quite different, almost not the same game as over-the-board or blitz chess. The key of succes is in analyzing, taking time, checking your variations multiple times, recheking your checking, finding information in references like databases or books. A lot of people like to play here like it is a blitz site (me included, sometimes), but there are specialized sites for that.

I think chess.com has the option of switching on touch-move in correspodence games, but I do not like the idea, at least if touch-move would become predefined and not an option to choose.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 May '08 15:58
    Hello all,

Ugh! I can't stand that rule when I play OTB!
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 May '08 16:53
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Ugh! I can't stand that rule when I play OTB!
    Perhaps you should try a game more your speed, like Tic Tac Toe for instance.

P-
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 May '08 17:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Perhaps you should try a game more your speed, like Tic Tac Toe for instance.

P-
    Hey friend. Why don't you go have a few drinks and then drive home? Thanks.
  10. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    28 May '08 20:021 edit
    I saw one of my bishops touching a few of the pawns. Its all good though, they settled out of court.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    28 May '08 22:09
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I saw one of my bishops touching a few of the pawns. Its all good though, they settled out of court.
    Take it to the Spirituality forum, spanky!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree