1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 15:062 edits
    Currently, it appears that the way banded tournaments are handled here, that someone can enter one band and then move their rating up or down into another band and enter that band too, in the same tournament.

This should not be happening. If you enter one band of a banded tournament and then raise your rating into another band and try to enter another band before the first band fills up, you should be removed from the first band, as you no longer fit the requirements for that band. This is only fair. Certainly people should not be allowed to enter more than one band for any banded tournament.

Right now, there are at least four people who are entered into both the 2014 October Banded Threesomes I 1200-1250 tournament and the 2014 October Banded Threesomes I 1250-1275 tournament. And this is probably even more prevalent than I thought.

Please Russ, could you change this so that people can only enter ONE band of a banded tournament? I have no problem with them changing bands, I just have a problem with them playing in two bands of the same tournament simultaneously. If they want to enter the band corresponding to their new rating, they should be removed from the first band, since they no longer fit the qualifications for that band.
  2. Here
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 18:36
    I may well be one of those
    I do not do it to gain an advantage it's just that when I visit my home page it says I can go in it and so I do
    You may well be right about this,perhaps it will stop me having so many games on the go at the same time
    On the other hand perhaps it will take longer to get enough people to start the tournament off
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 09:31
    Originally posted by padger
    I do not do it to gain an advantage it's just that when I visit my home page it says I can go in it and so I do
    You may well be right about this,perhaps it will stop me having so many games on the go at the same time
    On the other hand perhaps it will take longer to get enough people to start the tournament off
    She sisn't say that you did something wrong.
    And I know that I did enter different bands of the same tourney since I sometimes look at the list of "active" tournaments. Sorry...

I perceive the gits of the suggestion thus:

* Remove players from tournaments (automatically) if they are not electible for the chosen rating band.
    * Put same player automatically in the next higher band (if available)
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 00:361 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    She sisn't say that you did something wrong.
    And I know that I did enter different bands of the same tourney since I sometimes look at the list of "active" tournaments. Sorry...

I perceive the gits of the suggestion thus:

* Remove players from tournaments (automatically) if they are not electible for the chosen rating band.
    * Put same player automatically in the next higher band (if available)
    Well, sure, this would be fine, but my problem is more with people who are in multiple bands of a tourney at once.

I have no problem with people joining tourneys they are eligible for at the time, but once you move into a new bracket and join another band of the same tourney, it should automatically remove you from all other bands of the same tourney that are not closed yet.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 00:40
    Eh, I know, padger, I just think it should do this automatically to keep people from playing multiple bands. I get that people may just join any new tourneys that show up on their home page, but it should then remove you from other bands if you previously joined others that you no longer qualify for.

That's all.
  6. Here
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 06:14
    I think this would be almost impossible to do
    I just entered another tournament because my rating went up and it said I could
    Now according to your idea I would be taken out of the level below
    If my rating goes down would I be relegated to the lower level
    If so what would happen if that level had filled up in the meantime
    Perhaps the bands should be wider
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 08:24
    I think this would be almost impossible to do
    I just entered another tournament because my rating went up and it said I could
    Now according to your idea I would be taken out of the level below
    If my rating goes down would I be relegated to the lower level
    If so what would happen if that level had filled up in the meantime
    Perhaps the bands should be wider
    running out of games :=O

Send over a few challenges 😉
  8. Here
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 09:45
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    running out of games :=O

Send over a few challenges 😉
    We could make a clan up if we joined together
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 14:43
    Nothing actually links/groups the banded tournaments - they share a similar name only, so this would require a fair bit of work. I'm not sure the problem is so serious as to justify it right now.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 15:19
    Originally posted by Russ
    Nothing actually links/groups the banded tournaments - they share a similar name only, so this would require a fair bit of work. I'm not sure the problem is so serious as to justify it right now.
    You wouldn't have to link them; just put in a feature to chuck people who obtain ratings too high above the band. Maybe if they're 100+ points above the band, then toss them.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 15:37
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You wouldn't have to link them; just put in a feature to chuck people who obtain ratings too high above the band. Maybe if they're 100+ points above the band, then toss them.
    This is true. Kicking people alone would be simple enough.
  12. Here
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 16:08
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is true. Kicking people alone would be simple enough.
    What would be the point of entering if your never sure you will be playing in them ?
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 02:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Currently, it appears that the way banded tournaments are handled here, that someone can enter one band and then move their rating up or down into another band and enter that band too, in the same tournament.

This should not be happening. If you enter one band of a banded tournament and then raise your rating into another band and try to enter another b ...[text shortened]... e removed from the first band, since they no longer fit the qualifications for that band.
    As bad as that is it help the tournaments fill up faster.
  14. Here
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 16:17
    Is it possible to have a button that when entering tournaments where if someone I would prefer not to play entered I would be withdrawn
    There is one person who I am convinced is a sandbagger and I would prefer not to give them the opportunity to use me to get their rating down
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 14:38
    Is it possible to have a button that when entering tournaments where if someone I would prefer not to play entered I would be withdrawn
    There is one person who I am convinced is a sandbagger and I would prefer not to give them the opportunity to use me to get their rating down
    Then that player can kill tourneys simply by entering them and making the rest of the players auto-drop out. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree