1. Here
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 15:11
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Then that player can kill tourneys simply by entering them and making the rest of the players auto-drop out. 🙂
    Yes shame
    I suppose we are back to rating floors
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 18:40
    Originally posted by padger
    I think this would be almost impossible to do
    I just entered another tournament because my rating went up and it said I could
    Now according to your idea I would be taken out of the level below
    If my rating goes down would I be relegated to the lower level
    If so what would happen if that level had filled up in the meantime
    Perhaps the bands should be wider
    No. See, if you did not apply for another band, it keeps you in the first band, regardless of if you go up or down. All I'm doing is try to get people from playing two bands of the same tournament at once. You'd only get relegated to the lower level if you joined the lower band. If you did that, then yes, it would take you out of the higher band, because it then assumes you want to play in the lower band. If you don't want to change bands, then don't.

See, I'm not trying to make people unable to join a band they qualify for, nor am I trying to get people kicked out of a band they no longer qualify for. I'm only trying to make people unable to play multiple bands in the same tournament.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 18:45
    Is it possible to have a button that when entering tournaments where if someone I would prefer not to play entered I would be withdrawn
    There is one person who I am convinced is a sandbagger and I would prefer not to give them the opportunity to use me to get their rating down
    This is exactly what started my crusade to get this done. Being in two separate bands of the same tournament allows sandbagging, because you could go ahead and kick ass in the band you are way too high for and just resign all your games in the band closer to your rating. Net result, you win tourneys, but your rating doesn't go up.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 18:56
    Originally posted by Russ
    Nothing actually links/groups the banded tournaments - they share a similar name only, so this would require a fair bit of work. I'm not sure the problem is so serious as to justify it right now.
    Oh, I see, Russ. I wasn't aware that the banded tournaments were really just many separate tournaments. I thought it was like RL where there is one tournament but separate sections of the same tournament. People can't join more than one section of an OTB tourney, so this multiple bands thing just makes it easier to sandbag without major manipulating.

Now that I know that banded tournaments are really separate tournaments, I can see why it would take more work than I thought. Well, thanks for the explanation, Russ!

I just wish people weren't always such opportunists, always looking for an "angle". 😞
  5. Here
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 06:15
    I now check every day to see if that someone has entered the same tournament as me
    I notice that as my rating goes up and down a notice appears saying that I have not got the right rating for this tournament ,although I am in it anyway
    If it knows that why doesn't it kick me out and just send me a message to let me know ??
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 23:30
    I now check every day to see if that someone has entered the same tournament as me
    I notice that as my rating goes up and down a notice appears saying that I have not got the right rating for this tournament ,although I am in it anyway
    If it knows that why doesn't it kick me out and just send me a message to let me know ??
    After what Russ said, this may be the best option. That way if you still wanted to play in the tourney, you could go and enter the appropriate band.

Before the IntarWebz, I ran a BBS, and it's my experience that few people ever actually read what passes in front of their face. I'd put up announcements, and then have people asking "Hey, what's up with..." whatever, and usually it was something I took the time to create a screen for to explain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree