1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    07 Aug '15 15:19
    This drives me absolutely nuts waiting a whole year for it to move as a paying member. I could understand it being one month or three months that it goes down but a whole year as a paying member?! I'm a player that get slaughtered at the rating that I'm at right now where if it goes lower and then I slaughter those players so I'm at that cusp. So chess really does suck for me. 🙁
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 03:50
    Many people here have similar problems, no matter what their rating or how long it's been up there. I'm a bottom-feeder with a real playing strength of around 1100. I get a run of wins and it pushes my TER into the 1150-1200 band where I mostly can't win a game. Or I get a run of losses and all I can enter is the 0-1150 band. Even there I encounter people who have a real rating of 1600, coming back to the site after a run of timeouts.

The present system lends itself to so much fiddling by dodgy people that it's just as frustrating as it must be for top players to keep encountering engine users.

Do you have any ideas on how to come up with really fair ratings, given that people can improve significantly over time, deteriorate mentally, or simply get out of practice?
  3. Here
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 05:58
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Many people here have similar problems, no matter what their rating or how long it's been up there. I'm a bottom-feeder with a real playing strength of around 1100. I get a run of wins and it pushes my TER into the 1150-1200 band where I mostly can't win a game. Or I get a run of losses and all I can enter is the 0-1150 band. Even there I encounter people ...[text shortened]... people can improve significantly over time, deteriorate mentally, or simply get out of practice?
    Here we go again
    This subject usually crops up about three times a year
    There have been some sensible ideas put forward in the time that I have been on this site but nothing ever happens to correct this anomaly
    What usually happens is that someone will start slagging someone else off and the whole thing just comes to a standstill
    As in most of the forums
    It is time that a floor of some sort be implemented so that people like Mctayto are stopped
    Perhaps this time ???
  4. Here
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 10:07
    perhaps a quick fix for this is make the score in the rating calculation 2 instead of 1
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 15:38
    A few things have been suggested which make sense to me:

* permanent rating floor. This would mean that the floor is about 100 point below the all-time high. The problem is that sometimes there are spikes in rating (intentional or not).

* no lower rating limit for tournaments. The high rated might roll their eyes. Plus the sandbaggers (those entering intentinally torunaments far below their ability) won't be adressed that way.

* Set up a group of Tournament directors with the power to remove people. The problem here is to find a protocoll that works. I.e. not having people removed because they are disliked.
  6. Here
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 16:50
    I just thought that it would help if you could go up easier than you come down
    Perhaps 2 for a win and 0.25 for a loss
  7. Victor, New York
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 17:391 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable

* permanent rating floor. This would mean that the floor is about 100 point below the all-time high. The problem is that sometimes there are spikes in rating (intentional or not).

I'd have a problem with this. I play a lot of games and sometimes get lucky around a number of wins and/or timeouts. My all-time high is 1358 but I'm clearly not at t ...[text shortened]... 'd be limited to playing at a 1258 level and that's above where I think I should be. Just a comment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree