Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 03 Jan '06 23:15
    Why can't we have one?
    I don't ask a hunddred tournys , just one per year........
  2. 03 Jan '06 23:35
    Originally posted by Fisich
    Why can't we have one?
    I don't ask a hunddred tournys , just one per year........
    Why not subscribe?
  3. 03 Jan '06 23:42
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Why not subscribe?
    Maybe I'll do it this summer when I will have more time to play,my son already plays here.
    I just wanted to try the fun in being in a tournament,he said that once a year the boss opens a tournament for non subscribers.
  4. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Jan '06 01:28
    Originally posted by Fisich
    Maybe I'll do it this summer when I will have more time to play,my son already plays here.
    I just wanted to try the fun in being in a tournament,he said that once a year the boss opens a tournament for non subscribers.
    If you don't have time to play in a tournament now, why are you asking for one?
  5. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    04 Jan '06 07:03
    I think it's fair enough. There should be a non-sub tournament every few months to give people a chance to try it out and see if they like it.
  6. Standard member mrmist
    Moo
    04 Jan '06 07:15
    Originally posted by orfeo
    I think it's fair enough. There should be a non-sub tournament every few months to give people a chance to try it out and see if they like it.
    There are already non-sub tournaments every so often. To be honest, if they were more regular it would kinda defeat the point.
  7. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    04 Jan '06 07:51
    Originally posted by mrmist
    There are already non-sub tournaments every so often. To be honest, if they were more regular it would kinda defeat the point.
    There hasn't been one in over a year (to my knowledge). The last one I've seen was an X-mas dual I believe.
  8. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    04 Jan '06 09:48
    i would be very unhappy if russ removed nonsubs from playing their 6 games ...

    but i do not think he needs to give them any more tournaments than he feels like ...

    (if i was him i would occassionally give them a large tournament with large groupsize and very short timelimit - that way players cannot get too far without subscribing)
  9. 04 Jan '06 18:07
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    If you don't have time to play in a tournament now, why are you asking for one?
    Read my post :"I just wanted to try the fun in being in a tournament"
  10. 04 Jan '06 18:08
    Originally posted by mrmist
    There are already non-sub tournaments every so often. To be honest, if they were more regular it would kinda defeat the point.
    Where are those tournaments then?
    I watched the tournaments list and the last was started on Christmas 2004..........not so often..........
  11. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    04 Jan '06 20:28
    When I was a non-sub there were some such tournies, the frustrating thing being that any non-sub who had games in progress couldn't enter as the group size was always 4 = 6 games. The only way around this would be to resign ongoing games.

    I have no doubt this would have encouraged players to create a second account to enter the tournament with (as 0 games in progress).

    If non-sub tournies were to take place in the future I think these should be in the 'duel' format (thus open to any non-sub with 2 games vacant).

    Andy
  12. 05 Jan '06 19:04
    Bump!
  13. Standard member MCA
    TokerSmurf
    10 Jan '06 22:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rhb
    When I was a non-sub there were some such tournies, the frustrating thing being that any non-sub who had games in progress couldn't enter as the group size was always 4 = 6 games. The only way around this would be to resign ongoing games.

    I have no doubt this would have encouraged players to create a second account to enter the tournament with (as 0 games in ...[text shortened]... these should be in the 'duel' format (thus open to any non-sub with 2 games vacant).

    Andy
    the last one was in duel format, was good ... even if i did get whupped and shown the door in round one

    [Edit] I was kinda hoping for another this (em last) year. it is a good way to let us nonsub scums know what the tournies are like.
  14. 11 Jan '06 09:39
    Other chess sites let non subs try out tournaments. [this one too, so I heard in the reliable general forum]
    It would be a good idea in one way as the winners of tournaments could then legitimately claim to have won an open competition.
  15. 14 Jan '06 17:43
    Guys,maybe I'm tight because I don't fork money for subscription but also site boss is tight because a tournament for us non subs (once a year!!) doesn't seem so much of a big deal.