Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 03 Apr '08 18:21
    Will it ever be possible for non-subs to enter tournaments? At least one at a time. At least the chance to define whether a tournament is valid for non-subs. I'd really like to play in one and I don't have the money to order a subscription and my mum won't give because she thinks that "I shouldn't spend money on crap on the internet".
  2. Standard member Zonko The Sane
    King of Insomnia
    04 Apr '08 21:16
    I feel for you mate. Perhaps just round up a few non-subs and organise one - I'm sure it will be really hard work, but worth it.
  3. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    05 Apr '08 16:57 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Will it ever be possible for non-subs to enter tournaments? At least one at a time. At least the chance to define whether a tournament is valid for non-subs. I'd really like to play in one and I don't have the money to order a subscription and my mum won't give because she thinks that "I shouldn't spend money on crap on the internet".
    try making a case for RHP:

    1. intellectual stimulation
    2. mature social development
    3. safe competitive fun

    Let her know that the communication is moderated and anything inappropriate for under 13 is immediately removed and the member submitting the material banned, almost instantly

    Let her know that chess has been valued by royalty, famous military generals, scientists, and scholars for centuries (almost 500 years)

    Remind her that developing mature and socially responsible skills on the internet is an important life skill and character quality that you will need to be competent in the future

    Offer a performance contract:

    1. you will guarantee her that you will only devote (60 minutes, or 90 minutes, or 120 minutes, or whatever is agreeable to her, to RHP chess each day, within a certain time period)

    2. you will guarantee her that you will only log into RHP after your homework and household chores have been completed.

    3. you agree that she can cancel your membership at any time that you violate these rules (maybe work in a one-warning, or one-warning, one suspension, agreement, if she is management-oriented)

    None of this works, of course, if money is extremely tight and every penny counts. (you didn't mention a father having influence here, or some other in-laws type of participation)

    If money is the issue, then offer to pay for the subscription yourself with money earned cutting grass or shoveling snow or recycling cans etc.

    What about asking for the membership as a birthday or holiday gift?

    We hope that you are successful. Let us know.
  4. 05 Apr '08 19:23
    Originally posted by coquette
    try making a case for RHP:

    1. intellectual stimulation
    2. mature social development
    3. safe competitive fun

    Let her know that the communication is moderated and anything inappropriate for under 13 is immediately removed and the member submitting the material banned, almost instantly

    Let her know that chess has been valued by royalty, famous milit ...[text shortened]... the membership as a birthday or holiday gift?

    We hope that you are successful. Let us know.
    Don' t worry, she's sensible. She knows I like chess and supports me for playing OTB competitions.

    In the summer I'll be working. I intend to spend most of the salary for a tournament in the Czech Republic but if there is any left, I might subcribe.

    But that's off-topic. And, sorry, but in most occasians, the three points you posted about stimulation, development and fun, are crap. That's also off-topic.
  5. 05 Apr '08 22:11
    Originally posted by kbaumen

    ...And, sorry, but in most occasians, the three points you posted about stimulation, development and fun, are crap...
    Your one mean dude...
  6. Standard member nmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    06 Apr '08 04:15
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Your one mean dude...
    Seconded!!

    Dave
  7. 06 Apr '08 14:35 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Your one mean dude...
    Why? There is a lot of immature stuff going on in the general forum.
  8. 06 Apr '08 14:54
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Why? There is a lot of immature stuff going on in the general forum.
    Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure this is the SITE IDEAS forum.
  9. 06 Apr '08 15:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure this is the [b]SITE IDEAS forum.[/b]
    And last time I checked, I had suggested that tournaments are available for non-subs in this thread.
  10. Standard member nmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    06 Apr '08 15:05
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    And last time I checked, I had suggested that tournaments are available for non-subs in this thread.
    That is why it is a feature for paying customers.

    Dave
  11. 06 Apr '08 15:07
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    That is why it is a feature for paying customers.

    Dave
    The immature stuff in forums is a reason why tournaments are for subs? Are you serious?
  12. Standard member nmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    06 Apr '08 15:13
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    The immature stuff in forums is a reason why tournaments are for subs? Are you serious?
    No...the extra features are for paying customers...non subs get to still play chess, and now be part of clubs. Doesn't make any sense for people that started paying for the extra features and then they are given to people who don't.

    Dave
  13. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    06 Apr '08 15:18
    Let me re-phrase what david is saying. Tournaments and clans are an incentive for people to subscribe. If they were made available to non-subs there would be no reason for people to subscribe.

    Very occasionaly, there is a non-sub tournament to give non-subs a taste of what they are missing, but even if there were a few more, there would never be enough for all the non-subs to get involved, so some would miss out and then probably complain that they didn't get a chance, so Russ would be pressured to make more to accomodate all the non-subs.

    In conclusion, its not going to happen.
  14. 06 Apr '08 15:20
    Originally posted by Freddie2008
    Let me re-phrase what david is saying. Tournaments and clans are an incentive for people to subscribe. If they were made available to non-subs there would be no reason for people to subscribe.

    Very occasionaly, there is a non-sub tournament to give non-subs a taste of what they are missing, but even if there were a few more, there would never be enou ...[text shortened]... ssured to make more to accomodate all the non-subs.

    In conclusion, its not going to happen.
    Eh, too bad. Probably you're right.