Tournaments for non-subs

Tournaments for non-subs

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
03 Apr 08

Will it ever be possible for non-subs to enter tournaments? At least one at a time. At least the chance to define whether a tournament is valid for non-subs. I'd really like to play in one and I don't have the money to order a subscription and my mum won't give because she thinks that "I shouldn't spend money on crap on the internet".

ZTS
King of Insomnia

My Bedroom

Moves
04 Apr 08

I feel for you mate. Perhaps just round up a few non-subs and organise one - I'm sure it will be really hard work, but worth it.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
05 Apr 08
3 edits

Originally posted by kbaumen
Will it ever be possible for non-subs to enter tournaments? At least one at a time. At least the chance to define whether a tournament is valid for non-subs. I'd really like to play in one and I don't have the money to order a subscription and my mum won't give because she thinks that "I shouldn't spend money on crap on the internet".
try making a case for RHP:

1. intellectual stimulation
2. mature social development
3. safe competitive fun

Let her know that the communication is moderated and anything inappropriate for under 13 is immediately removed and the member submitting the material banned, almost instantly

Let her know that chess has been valued by royalty, famous military generals, scientists, and scholars for centuries (almost 500 years)

Remind her that developing mature and socially responsible skills on the internet is an important life skill and character quality that you will need to be competent in the future

Offer a performance contract:

1. you will guarantee her that you will only devote (60 minutes, or 90 minutes, or 120 minutes, or whatever is agreeable to her, to RHP chess each day, within a certain time period)

2. you will guarantee her that you will only log into RHP after your homework and household chores have been completed.

3. you agree that she can cancel your membership at any time that you violate these rules (maybe work in a one-warning, or one-warning, one suspension, agreement, if she is management-oriented)

None of this works, of course, if money is extremely tight and every penny counts. (you didn't mention a father having influence here, or some other in-laws type of participation)

If money is the issue, then offer to pay for the subscription yourself with money earned cutting grass or shoveling snow or recycling cans etc.

What about asking for the membership as a birthday or holiday gift?

We hope that you are successful. Let us know.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
05 Apr 08

Originally posted by coquette
try making a case for RHP:

1. intellectual stimulation
2. mature social development
3. safe competitive fun

Let her know that the communication is moderated and anything inappropriate for under 13 is immediately removed and the member submitting the material banned, almost instantly

Let her know that chess has been valued by royalty, famous milit ...[text shortened]... the membership as a birthday or holiday gift?

We hope that you are successful. Let us know.
Don' t worry, she's sensible. She knows I like chess and supports me for playing OTB competitions.

In the summer I'll be working. I intend to spend most of the salary for a tournament in the Czech Republic but if there is any left, I might subcribe.

But that's off-topic. And, sorry, but in most occasians, the three points you posted about stimulation, development and fun, are crap. That's also off-topic.

DMM

USA

Moves
05 Apr 08

...And, sorry, but in most occasians, the three points you posted about stimulation, development and fun, are crap...
Your one mean dude...

n
I Drank What? ©

I'm With Stupid

Moves
06 Apr 08

Originally posted by Dance Master MC
Your one mean dude...
Seconded!!

Dave

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
06 Apr 08
2 edits

Your one mean dude...
Why? There is a lot of immature stuff going on in the general forum.

DMM

USA

Moves
06 Apr 08

Why? There is a lot of immature stuff going on in the general forum.
Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure this is the SITE IDEAS forum.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
06 Apr 08
1 edit

Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure this is the [b]SITE IDEAS forum.[/b]
And last time I checked, I had suggested that tournaments are available for non-subs in this thread.

n
I Drank What? ©

I'm With Stupid

Moves
06 Apr 08

And last time I checked, I had suggested that tournaments are available for non-subs in this thread.
That is why it is a feature for paying customers.

Dave

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
06 Apr 08

Originally posted by nmdavidb
That is why it is a feature for paying customers.

Dave
The immature stuff in forums is a reason why tournaments are for subs? Are you serious?

n
I Drank What? ©

I'm With Stupid

Moves
06 Apr 08

The immature stuff in forums is a reason why tournaments are for subs? Are you serious?
No...the extra features are for paying customers...non subs get to still play chess, and now be part of clubs. Doesn't make any sense for people that started paying for the extra features and then they are given to people who don't.

Dave

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
06 Apr 08

Let me re-phrase what david is saying. Tournaments and clans are an incentive for people to subscribe. If they were made available to non-subs there would be no reason for people to subscribe.

Very occasionaly, there is a non-sub tournament to give non-subs a taste of what they are missing, but even if there were a few more, there would never be enough for all the non-subs to get involved, so some would miss out and then probably complain that they didn't get a chance, so Russ would be pressured to make more to accomodate all the non-subs.

In conclusion, its not going to happen.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
06 Apr 08

Originally posted by Freddie2008
Let me re-phrase what david is saying. Tournaments and clans are an incentive for people to subscribe. If they were made available to non-subs there would be no reason for people to subscribe.

Very occasionaly, there is a non-sub tournament to give non-subs a taste of what they are missing, but even if there were a few more, there would never be enou ...[text shortened]... ssured to make more to accomodate all the non-subs.

In conclusion, its not going to happen.
Eh, too bad. Probably you're right.