1. puñO y letRa
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 17:40
    I have seen that when you challenge a player and you play as white, when you do the first move the time starts to countdown. The problem is when the player you challenge is temporaly inactive and you are sure he/she aren't going to be able to response to the first move you have done. In that case, I haven't checked if the skull appears when the time finish, but anyway I think it's not fair to do that deribelately making the opponent waste their time to move and maybe their points.

I have checked that it happens in tournaments, but in that case is understandably, because the player decide to play there voluntarily and the tournament system can't stalls for a player who doesn't wanted to move. The question is: and what happens with the rest of the games? I just think the time should start to countdown when the player response to the first move.
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 17:56
    Originally posted by aGoRessivE
    I have seen that when you challenge a player and you play as white, when you do the first move the time starts to countdown. The problem is when the player you challenge is temporaly inactive and you are sure he/she aren't going to be able to response to the first move you have done. In that case, I haven't checked if the skull appears when the time finis ...[text shortened]... I just think the time should start to countdown when the player response to the first move.
    I believe in that case only the trash can icon appears, not the skull. In any case, games with less than 3 moves for each side are never rated. The opponent can wait as long as they want to move, and if either side trashes the game it doesn't really affect them.

The only problem is if they wait so long that they use up the timebank. In that case they are actually impacted by not moving, but they could just trash the game anyway.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 22:03
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I believe in that case only the trash can icon appears, not the skull. In any case, games with less than 3 moves for each side are never rated. The opponent can wait as long as they want to move, and if either side trashes the game it doesn't really affect them.

The only problem is if they wait so long that they use up the timebank. In that case they are actually impacted by not moving, but they could just trash the game anyway.
    Probably why there is no zero timeout option.

D
  4. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 22:03
    You could PM them first to see if they want a challenge.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 01:43
    it misses the point. There should be some 24 hours, or 48 hours grace period, then the time starts to tick down.
  6. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 02:331 edit
    Originally posted by aGoRessivE
    I have seen that when you challenge a player and you play as white, when you do the first move the time starts to countdown. The problem is when the player you challenge is temporaly inactive and you are sure he/she aren't going to be able to response to the first move you have done. In that case, I haven't checked if the skull appears when the time finis I just think the time should start to countdown when the player response to the first move.
    I have taken time out wins in the case presented above but never noted if a rating increase was awarded...How ever I do recall winning points in a clan league match.

edit: added an s but where?
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 04:551 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    it misses the point. There should be some 24 hours, or 48 hours grace period, then the time starts to tick down.
    But the original timeout period is the grace period. If you move within the original 1-, 3-, 7-, or however many days, it's the same as if you moved instantly. If you don't, you can just trash the game. If you still want to play that person, just reopen the challenge and say, sorry, I didn't get a chance to move before the timebank started running down.

I don't think there's a need to add any more complexity here. If you had a 24 or 48 hour grace period, there would still be cases where that wasn't long enough either and the person would have to trash and reopen the game as described above anyway.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 10:32
    I would like it better if you'd have to accept a challenge, and then the time would count down from the moment you accept it. Also, in the current system you may not even notice that you got a new game because it's showing at the bottom of the list rather than together with the most recent moves.
  9. Joined
    24 Dec '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 01:50
    alternatively if the countdown started from blacks first move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree