1. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 17:32
    Don't know if this has been asked before.

Is it easy to make URLs in forum posts automatically links to that URL? At the moment we have to copy and paste URLs; it would be great if there was either tags that one could use in a post, e.g.

[ html ]www.lookAtTheSizeOfMyFishing.net[ /html]

to designate a link. Or maybe any continuous word beginning with 'http' or 'www' was automatically changed to a link?

I know other web fora have this facility.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 17:56
    You know if you used Firefox you could get the Linkification extension which turns every plain text web address into a clickable one.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 18:23
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You know if you used Firefox you could get the Linkification extension which turns every plain text web address into a clickable one.
    Got it - great. Cheers.
  4. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 22:13
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Could you post a link?

(non click-able one of course😉 )
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 23:112 edits
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    Could you post a link?

(non click-able one of course😉 )
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/190/

If you are installing Firefox also check out the Developers forum for greasemonkey scripts.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/748/
  6. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 23:22
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/190/

If you are installing Firefox also check out the Developers forum for greasemonkey scripts.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/748/
    Thanks Dr.

I already use firefox and greasemonkey, but the link thing will be useful too.

🙂
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 06:01
    I want a RHP for MS Internet Explorer too.
    I'm not interested in FireFox of several reasons.
    If every problem are solved with a FireFox fix then we are stuck with it.
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 08:191 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Not true. Firefox is standards-compliant. Instead of firefox you can use any standards-compliant browser to your taste. The only browser totally incompatible with firefox and the rest of the lot today is Internet Explorer.

Edit: Although MS has promised that version 7 will be heaven for standards. I'll believe it when I see it.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 09:201 edit
    Originally posted by stocken
    Not true. Firefox is standards-compliant. Instead of firefox you can use any standards-compliant browser to your taste. The only browser totally incompatible with firefox and the rest of the lot today is Internet Explorer.

Edit: Although MS has promised that version 7 will be heaven for standards. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Doesn't matter - FireFoxers can always use IE but IE-users can't always use FireFox.
    If we solve every problem with FireFox solutions then what will we IE-users do?
    Therefore RHP are getting more and more to be a site for FireFox-users. This is not good...
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 10:491 edit
    Doesn't matter - FireFoxers can always use IE but IE-users can't always use FireFox.
    Therefore RHP are getting more and more to be a site for FireFox-users. This is not good...
    RHP works better with Firefox due to the add-ons - you can't blame Firefox for that.
    If you MUST use IE why not use FF just for this site. There are some sites that I use which work better with IE so I use it for only them.
    There's even add-ons to make switching between the two a simple matter of a click or two.

Unless you are prevented by work rules or something there is no reason not to at least try it.
  11. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 10:51
    IE-users should either stop whining about the benefits in Firefox, wait 'til IE catches up or use Firefox. Simple as that. This site is made to work well with standards-compliant browsers and IE (a waste of time if you ask me), so there will never be a problem for those using IE.

For those using firefox, there are extensions available that allows us to customize parts of the site to our own liking (if we so wish). Has nothing to do with the site itself, you understand. The site itself is still perfectly viewable in other browsers.

There is absolutely no problem here.

You don't assume that Russ and company has begun developing this site for firefox only, do you? Because they haven't. Yet. The firefox extensions are made by users of firefox. If you want the features they provide, use firefox. If you don't want to use firefox, live without them.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 11:48
    IE-users should either stop whining about the benefits in Firefox, wait 'til IE catches up or use Firefox. Simple as that. This site is made to work well with standards-compliant browsers and IE (a waste of time if you ask me), so there will never be a problem for those using IE.

For those using firefox, there are extensions available that allows u ...[text shortened]... the features they provide, use firefox. If you don't want to use firefox, live without them.
    Ah, you know what I mean, don't you?

Very often, when someone have a problem, the answer comes instantly, use FireFox and you'll have no problem. FireFox is the answer of all sorts of problems. This is not the answer if you can't use FireFox of certain reasons. The answer is merely to fix the problem within RHP. And we're humbly asking Russ if he could do that.

If you think I'm whining every time I say what's on my mind then you have to rethink. I have the right to express my opinions, just as you do.

FireFox is not a religion. It's a browser.
  13. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 16:30
    Ah, you know what I mean, don't you?

Very often, when someone have a problem, the answer comes instantly, use FireFox and you'll have no problem. FireFox is the answer of all sorts of problems. This is not the answer if you can't use FireFox of certain reasons. The answer is merely to fix the problem within RHP. And we're humbly asking Russ if he could ...[text shortened]... ght to express my opinions, just as you do.

FireFox is not a religion. It's a browser.
    Of course Firefox is not the end to all problems. It has problems of it's own even.

Yea, I see your point now. Got a little testy this morning. Guess it showed through, eh? Sorry about that. And good luck with your wish to see linkification in the forum itself. It's usually a bad idea (for security reasons - inline scripting immediately comes to mind), but maybe Russ will do it some day. With today's browsers that is less of a problem.

Ha en bra dag! Fantastiskt väder här hos mig i alla fall, och arbetsdan är över, så stranden nästa! 🙂
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 17:05
    I'm not interested in FireFox of several reasons.
    The lack of linking ability is not a problem. It is site policy not to allow clickable links in the forums.

Now, with that dreadful firefox, people are able to customise their browsing experience. If they choose to open themselves up to possibly dangerous 1-click links in the forums, then they are free to by using 1 of the hundreds of customised tools for Firefox. Wait for the next versi on of IE which will also cater for extensions. You'll have to pay for them mind, but it seems that is what you prefer.

Also, its much better for other people to develop customisations for the front end of RHP. It allows Russ to concentrate on the important background stuff, such as adding new features etc. Why should he focus all his time on work which other people are more than willing to do?

You've mentioned before that you don't want to use Firefox, but never said why. I'm really curious why you won't even give it a try?

D
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 18:00
    Ha en bra dag! Fantastiskt väder här hos mig i alla fall, och arbetsdan är över, så stranden nästa! 🙂
    Well, good friends never fight over a this small a question.
    We both know what the other one stand. And we are both right (in some ways or another).

Even här the sol is het! We have a fantastisk sommar. The strand väntar on me också. Do not bränn dej too much! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree