USA
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 05:03
    I have a question, is there any protection from losing games
    when you go on vacation? Seems there should be even if it is limited
    per the cycle one pays for. If there isn't any protection of losing games
    while going on vacation it seems there should be. Maybe allow 10 days
    a year where you cannot lose on time no matter the time control. One
    come plan around that or some number acceptable to all.
    Kelly
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 05:09
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I have a question, is there any protection from losing games
    when you go on vacation? Seems there should be even if it is limited
    per the cycle one pays for. If there isn't any protection of losing games
    while going on vacation it seems there should be. Maybe allow 10 days
    a year where you cannot lose on time no matter the time control. One
    come plan around that or some number acceptable to all.
    Kelly
    Hmmm Maybe book a period where you can neither be timed out or log into RHP?
    I've played people with their vacation flags up.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 05:52
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Hmmm Maybe book a period where you can neither be timed out or log into RHP?
    I've played people with their vacation flags up.
    That is easy enough to fix, once on vacation one cannot move until
    you come off of it.
    Kelly
  4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 05:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That is easy enough to fix, once on vacation one cannot move until
    you come off of it.
    Kelly
    *clinks* glasses with KJ
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 06:11
    I agree with the spirit of your posts gents, but there would still be room for abuse. Vacation settings IMO should be honored as a consideration, not a matter of rule. I have TO'd people with their vacation flag up in the past, only because they continued to be active in other games while mine sat there (I had winning positions, I might add). The Vac flags are there for courtesy, and I think most people would honor them if everything is legit.
  6. Not Kansas
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 06:25
    Originally posted by BLReid
    I agree with the spirit of your posts gents, but there would still be room for abuse. Vacation settings IMO should be honored as a consideration, not a matter of rule. I have TO'd people with their vacation flag up in the past, only because they continued to be active in other games while mine sat there (I had winning positions, I might add). The Vac flags are there for courtesy, and I think most people would honor them if everything is legit.
    That's just what I said, I have played people with their vacation flags up! They are "on vacation" and implicitly asking not to be timed out yet still making moves! Seems dubvious to me, especially when somebody else may be *really* on vacation and *unable* to make a move, yet still get timed out.
    Set the vacation flag for (say) 10 days. No time-out, no moves either.
  7. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 10:08
    This has been dicussed countless times and every conceivable alternative has been postulated. Looks like we're stuck with current system, folks! 😵
  8. Standard memberSirUlrich
    Love gave me wings
    Turfed Out
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 11:34
    Originally posted by Exy
    This has been dicussed countless times and every conceivable alternative has been postulated. Looks like we're stuck with current system, folks! 😵
    Russ has no interest in "protecting" subscribers whilst they have a legitimate annual holiday otherwise this simple matter would have been resolved months (years) ago. I don't know for sure but RHP may be the only online chess site that appears not to care a jot about paying members on this subject.
    Maybe we could form a squad of Timeout Police to govern any disputed victories
    🙂
  9. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 11:41
    Originally posted by BLReid
    when people go on vacation .. they might just quickly have a few moments .. and they make some of the easiest moves .. while skipping over the tricky ones ... hoping to have a good think later on ... most people are not bad .. they just do what they can.

that said ... i agree: time them out 😉
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 11:42
    Originally posted by SirUlrich
    Russ has no interest in "protecting" subscribers whilst they have a legitimate annual holiday otherwise this simple matter would have been resolved months (years) ago. I don't know for sure but RHP may be the only online chess site that appears not to care a jot about paying members on this subject.
    🙂
    always play with timebank ... timebank gives you a holiday.
  11. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 11:51
    Originally posted by SirUlrich
    🙂
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. The site owners looked into this issue about a year ago and came up with the perfect solution, which they called 'timebanks'. Now every game which is played in tournaments or clan leagues comes with a timebank, which should provide sufficient protection for anyone who intends to go on holiday. If the timebank is too short, for instance because you're going away for 2 weeks and the timebank is only 7 days, then don't enter that tournament!

Also if someone has an annual holiday, surely that is planned months in advance? Arrange your games accordingly. Don't start new games with short time-out settings and inadeqaute timebanks just before going on holiday, and then whinge about being timed out when you come back. Apply a bit of commonsense.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 15:44
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. The site owners looked into this issue about a year ago and came up with the perfect solution, which they called 'timebanks'. Now every game which is played in tournaments or clan leagues comes with a timebank, which should provide sufficient protection for anyone who intends to go on holiday. If the timebank is too sh ...[text shortened]... holiday, and then whinge about being timed out when you come back. Apply a bit of commonsense.
    I think I have to agree with you, I never worry about the time bank
    and do not think I have every had to reach into it. I normally move
    quickly, sometimes more quickly that I should. 🙁 It does seem to
    be a built in vacation, but things come up....I suppose that is true
    for us all so it equals out in the end.
    Kelly
  13. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 19:41
    There is nothing wrong with moving on vacation - I always try to move every three days where ever I am in the world. It is people who do not go away but put up the vacation flag of convienience that are the problem.
  14. UK
    Moves
    12 Jan '05 19:44
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. The site owners looked into this issue about a year ago and came up with the perfect solution, which they called 'timebanks'. ..... Apply a bit of commonsense.
    That gets my rec.

15. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '05 09:572 edits
    I agree with David Tebb that's TIME BANKS should be the way people manage their games to allow for time off. However, as the Vacation Flag exists many new comers to the site don't realise this. They think the Vacation Flag in itself is the guaranteed way to halt play and avoid a loss - not so.

I propose that one of two changes would clarify to everyone how RHP handles planned holiday time away from the site.

a) Do away with the Vacation Flay altogether to avoid the confusion and emphasize the importance of using a TIME BANK or TIME OUT period that suits your speed of play - especially coming up to times when you know that you are about to be away from the site.

b) Keep the Vacation Flag but make it functional. By that I mean when the Vacation Flag is on nobody can time you out, however you cannot move whilst the flag is on and you are only allowed to turn the flag on and off three times a year.

I believe that adopting one of these solutions would clear up once and for all the perennial question over RHP's Vacation policy. Perhaps Russ could put it to the vote?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree