vacation?

Standard memberjbaca
Site Ideas 19 Aug '10 16:08
  1. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:08
    It seems to me that player/subscribers should not be able to post move while on vacation I think its a nice plus for subcribers but ....
    This is not a rant

J
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 18:58
    why?
  3. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 20:13
    If they are on vacation are they not freed of time obligations during active games maybe Im misinformed?
  4. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 20:26
    From the RHP faq:FAQ

It is possible to prevent your games timing out by booking a vacation when you are unable to play.

Select the 'My Settings' >> 'My Vacation Settings' menu. Then follow the on-screen instructions to book vacations.

A vacation flag will be displayed alongside your user id when you are on vacation.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 21:28
    yes, i know how it works but why change it. what different does it make if someone can move a little while on vacation?

these could be people who are playing 50+ games, all with different time controls, why prevent them from moving in some games when they aren't able to move as often as they normally can?
  6. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 22:02
    Im playing someone with their vacation flag up and find it a little annoying thats all it can be used to give a unethical player xtra time unfair in my opinion
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 00:13
    Originally posted by jbaca
    Im playing someone with their vacation flag up and find it a little annoying thats all it can be used to give a unethical player xtra time unfair in my opinion
    It is frustrating to you merely because as a non sub you are restricted to 6 games whereas most subs have sufficient games to keep them busy whilst one or two may be on holiday.
    Therefore the solution to your problem is simply - subscribe
  8. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 01:46
    Im fine w/ six games etc that was not my point.
    yes subscribing is an option, My opinion is moot.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 06:04
    It can be misused in this way, but in this case it appears to be legit - she's not moving in any games. There is no system that can't be exploited if you're determined enough. All vacation systems have their loopholes. Just put the game on the back burner until she reappears.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 13:30
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    It can be misused in this way, but in this case it appears to be legit - she's not moving in any games. There is no system that can't be exploited if you're determined enough. All vacation systems have their loopholes. Just put the game on the back burner until she reappears.
    Careful there... always keep an eye out. Soon as you ignore something because you expect no change is when change comes.

As for "shouldn't move when on vacation" this topic always makes me laugh.

"They are slowing everything down! My solution is to slow them down more!"

There are a ton of topics on this subject, and all 'solutions' seem to be slowing games down more. No one seems to remember RHP users only get 36 days each year, and if they abuse this feature their time eventually runs out.

As I've said before, the only problem with this system is back in the day they gave us a vote. "What is a better idea, Time Banks or Vacation Time"?

Most voted for Time Banks over Vacation... and that was the rule for a year or two. Next, they added Vacation.... since no one knew how to use time bank well enough to have time for a vacation if you took one.

Either way, people who want users to not post and not move on vacation are doing it for reasons of spite I feel. "They move in other games but not mine? How rude".

Vacation is limited, and 99.9% of users at RHP use it responsibly. Those abusing the system will eventually run out of vacation time. Nothing needs to change.

Search RHP for this topic and you'll find a ton of threads on this topic and even more reasons not to make users unable to move.

P-
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 23:09
    What's unethical about having a holiday - have you considered that they may just want a chess holiday? Isn't chess a game of tactics and resourcefulness; well what your opponent is doing is great tactics. They are probably reading all your recent posts and rubbing their hands together as they look forward to your inevitable frustration-driven crap next move. My advice would be to stop whining, get a sub and kick some intermediate ass while you wait.
  12. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 16:52
    I went on vacation recently. Before arriving I had no idea whether or not I would be able to access the internet from my holiday location. As it happened, I could access it now and again, when the mobile signal to my laptop dongle was strong enough, but this was by no means all the time.

Therefore:
    a) It was useful to be able to signify myself as on location whilst I was on holiday, as whether I could move within the time limit or not was out of my control. In the worst case I would not have been able to access the internet at all when I arrived, and in that case the vacation facility would have been vital.
    b) I think it was nice for my opponents that I could move now and again whilst on vacation, as they did not have to wait 2 weeks for me to do my next move.

Re the time-bank / vacation question that has come up:

Time-banks mean that users can select a timeout that they like, rather than playing safe and selecting a long timeout, because the timebank facility gives them a bit of leeway if they miss the timeout now and again. For me it definitely makes 3 day timeouts more compatible with weekends, when I may "forget" to move on Friday and occasionally not want to move on Saturday / Sunday because family are staying or whatever.

The vacation facility means that time-banks aren't used up / games aren't lost if a player is for some reason totally unable to move for a long time.

So, the reason that both facilities exist is that they are for different things and make RHP better in different ways.
  13. ALG
    Moves
    24 Aug '10 17:24
    I went on vacation recently, and used a 21-day's timebank.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree