Vacation....

Vacation....

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
13 Aug 06

Gameknot, Chessworld etc recognise the need for some facility for temporary postponement; why not RHP?

...edited...

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
13 Aug 06

Originally posted by snowinscotland
Gameknot, Chessworld etc recognise the need for some facility for temporary postponement; why not RHP?

...edited...
If you love Gameknot, Chessworld etc. why not play there?

s

Moves
13 Aug 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
If you love Gameknot, Chessworld etc. why not play there?
friendly or what?

s

Moves
13 Aug 06
2 edits

...but you are still missing the point i fear... 🙄

s

Moves
17 Aug 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I think they should be automatically timed out irrespective of holidays in the same way as tournaments. In this way everyone would know where they stand and there could be no whining or arguments.
Looks like there is yet another post on this issue (in another place as they say in the Lords)....

Dr Strangelove's idea has been tried (on another site, which if I mention I will be castigated and possibly castrated) and I assure you it does not work there....

To my mind the easiest way of avoiding forcing players to subject themselves to the mercy and randomness of other peoples whims is to recognise that the vacation flag is not the white flag of 'shoot me if you will', and simply enforce it.

DS

Moves
17 Aug 06
1 edit

Dr Strangelove's idea has been tried (on another site, which if I mention I will be castigated and possibly castrated) and I assure you it does not work there....
How do you mean hat it doesn't work - do you mean that people don't like it?
Well it would at least then be the same for everyone would it not?

If it 'works' in tournaments why wouldn't it in other games?

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
18 Aug 06

Count this as one vote for automatic time becoming the standard in non-tournament game play.

Here is a thought about using the vacation flag to inform players of the expected time you plan to be away from the game. Post the vacation flag just before leaving the site and state a return time.

s

Moves
18 Aug 06
1 edit

How do you mean hat it doesn't work - do you mean that people don't like it?

it doesn't work because it ignores the reality that very few people will not have a break of some sort from play. Given that this is the case, it opens what should be a logical game with a logical outcome based on ability, tiredness, number of beers/vodkas comsumed etc into a rather more random opportunity for savages etc to collect 'skulls'.

The answer that the timebank came be made larger is good, but how many people would want a game with someone suggesting a timebank of 21+3 days?

This can all be cured by utilising a facility built-in to the current system, enforcing the vacation flag.

I struggle to find what is difficult about the logic of that.... and given that it affects many people going by the threads I've seen...

s

Moves
18 Aug 06

Originally posted by I14U2NV
Count this as one vote for automatic time becoming the standard in non-tournament game play.

Here is a thought about using the vacation flag to inform players of the expected time you plan to be away from the game. Post the vacation flag just before leaving the site and state a return time.
you say count my vote for automatic timeout - I agree

... but enforce the vacation flag...

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
18 Aug 06

you say count my vote for automatic timeout - I agree

... but enforce the vacation flag...
I sure do I think the vacation flag should be turned into a logged on / off icon. Sometimes I do not type to match what I am thinking. I can not help it. My mind thinks faster then. I can type.

s

Moves
18 Aug 06

Originally posted by I14U2NV
I sure do I think the vacation flag should be turned into a logged on / off icon. Sometimes I do not type to match what I am thinking. I can not help it. My mind thinks faster then. I can type.
mee two

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
18 Aug 06

mee two
funny

Thanks for making me clear myself up on this matter. 🙄🙄😲🙄🙄

DS

Moves
19 Aug 06

I've seen the vacation system at other sites and it seems to be seriously abused. People playing on in other games when they are allegedly on vacation.
The only way it would be fair [maybe] is if they were not allowed to play ANY other games or post in the forums etc etc whilst their vacation flag was up.

s

Moves
21 Aug 06

I've seen the vacation system at other sites and it seems to be seriously abused. People playing on in other games when they are allegedly on vacation.
The only way it would be fair [maybe] is if they were [b]not allowed
to play ANY other games or post in the forums etc etc whilst their vacation flag was up.[/b]
No problem with that - if fact it would be strange not to enforce the vacation flag in that way.... (and yes the 'other sites' have inconsistensies re that - RHP can make it better I'm sure)