1. Joined
    01 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 16:58
    With regards to VACATION, I would like to make a suggestion,as the present vacation doesn't seem to be fair for either player,if you have the option of winning a game you are losing then why not take it?...i saw this game where the guy,who,went on vacation had 10 or so pieces on the board the other guy had only his king!...the guy with the lonesome king has'nt made a claim....which is good of him,so why not resign,if he is not going to claim?...the other guy with the 10 pieces...could offer him a draw...but why should he ,after all he is winning!...but then he can lose?!...so what do you do...win,lose or draw?...answer....quite simple...change the rule.....my suggestion is....you're allowed two short holidays, 7days for each holiday or one long holiday of 14 days...in this time your vacation sign comes up after you make a move and your time holiday time counts down say 7days,your opponent's time will count down as normal until he makes a move then his time will also stop for the 7days...if the player claiming the hoilday comes back say within the 7days he can make a move but the time won't count down until the 7days is used up,this is incase the other player doesn't check his game as he thinks his opponent is away for 7days...if though, the 2nd player replies then the game continues as normal,the player who clamed the 7days hoilday...even if he only uses a day will have used up one of his holidays.....thats my suggestion,i think this would be a vast improvment,to the VACATION rule.
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 19:52
    Some "*!#$ claimed a win off me - I was 'on vacation' and I still have 5 days timebank left!!!! so annoying.................................... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 20:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 20:37
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Some "*!#$ claimed a win off me - I was 'on vacation' and I still have 5 days timebank left!!!! so annoying.................................... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    How can someone claim a win if you had timebank??
    Its not possible.
    If you think it was a mistake, send feedback.
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 21:34
    Ah - looked at it again - using the 'info' on the inbox list, and timebank is still moving - so that must be a simple timer thingy...

still...

what is the point of having a 'on vacation' flag if it doesn't allow you to be 'on vacation' without penalty?
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 22:29
    Ah - looked at it again - using the 'info' on the inbox list, and timebank is still moving - so that must be a simple timer thingy...

still...

what is the point of having a 'on vacation' flag if it doesn't allow you to be 'on vacation' without penalty?
    Because people would abuse the system, as they always do 😕
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 19:01
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Because people would abuse the system, as they always do 😕
    but the point is the system is open to simple unfairness as it is; if you were winning a game and the opponent used the opportunity while you were 'on vacation' to claim a win, how would you feel?

Surely it is better to have an allocation of days (say 30) each year where you could temporarily postpone moving in your games. I am sure that given that each player has many games on the go a few on hold would not be a problem.....
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 20:10
    but the point is the system is open to simple unfairness as it is; if you were winning a game and the opponent used the opportunity while you were 'on vacation' to claim a win, how would you feel?

Surely it is better to have an allocation of days (say 30) each year where you could temporarily postpone moving in your games. I am sure that given that each player has many games on the go a few on hold would not be a problem.....
    I always PM anyone I am playing and ask them to please not time me out, as I am enjoying the game and will be back on such and such a date. This usually works. I also always play 7-day games with a timeout, and at least 7-day time banks incase something comes up.

RHP was toying with the idea of an extra 30 days a year, but decided on the time bank instead. All you can do is not play that player anymore... there is no ground to stand on saying it wasn't fair of them to time you out when you did not stick to the agreed time limits of a game.

I have been timed out before, I didn't like it, but that's just the way it is. It also says this when you adjust your vacation settings. Remember, it's just a game. Plus I've had great luck by messaging the people I am playing, and I never play with 'strangers'.

Don't forget that clan and tourney games are auto time out, it's not fair to hold a tourney up an extra 30 days, and that could turn into forever if several people in a tourney went on vacation at different times throughout the tourney. So the current system is the best option.

P-
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 20:56
    - 'there is no ground to stand on saying it wasn't fair of them to time you out when you did not stick to the agreed time limits of a game'
    what is the point of a 'on vacation' flag? To provide decoration to the pole as they shove it.....???

- Exclude tournaments from vacations... people who enter tournaments would understand that they risk losing games they would otherwise win...

- I would disagree that the current system is the best, unless you could define 'the best' as being 'presentation over substance' or 'game flow over game content'..... sorry
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 04:22
    - 'there is no ground to stand on saying it wasn't fair of them to time you out when you did not stick to the agreed time limits of a game'
    what is the point of a 'on vacation' flag? To provide decoration to the pole as they shove it.....???

- Exclude tournaments from vacations... people who enter tournaments would understand that they risk losi ...[text shortened]... as being 'presentation over substance' or 'game flow over game content'..... sorry
    The vacation flag is used as a way of showing players that you are not able to play currently. Using it is a courtesy to other players (so they aren't left hanging wondering why you aren't moving) and respecting it is also a courtesy. We have timebanks for a reason, if you feel you could end up in a situation where you cannot move for X days ensure you have a timebank of greater than X. Even with a 28 day timebank a 1 day timeout game will still go by quickly.

I'll respect a vacation flag if it contains a return date (which they don't go past) or they PM me asking for special consideration. Otherwise I won't. And of course it is fair, you can timeout other people while they are on vacation if you wish.

And tournament and clan league games autotimeout two days after timebank expires without any effort required on either players part (unless not playing is an effort).
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 10:05
    It seems to me that your idea got potential
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 12:37
    the timebank idea I think is very good, but if you start every game with a (say) 14 day timebank it starts to look as if you intend to use that timebank on every game. I think the timebank should be used as short term emergency ie I couldn't spend two nights because my children were ill or whatever....

A holiday bank would to used as a courtesy message to all your opponents to let them know 'I'll be back in 7/14 days' and prevent claims that go against the run of play.

By all means exclude tournaments, or what about 'recover' the time by halving the days per move following a break ...........
    ......... I'm just rabbiting now, but it annoys me that claims against the run of play can be made just where someone genuinely cannot be there.
  13. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 12:44
    How about adopting gameknot's system?
    After you request the postponement, the system will make sure that all your games have at least that many days on the clock for you to make your next move. I.e. if you'll be away from your computer for 10 days, please request a 10+ day postponement, even if you still have a couple of days remaining on the clock for all of your games. A "vacation flag" will also be set for your account for the same number of days, indicating to other players that you are not available to play at this time.

If you postpone your games, you will not be able to postpone them again for 14 days after the postponement period is over; or, if you postpone your games for less than 2 weeks, the "waiting" period will be equal to your postponement time (i.e. if you postpone your games for 5 days, you will not be able to postpone them again for 5 days after the postponement period is over, or 10 days total)
    in order to prevent any abuse of this feature, your opponents will be given an option to cancel the postponement for each game and restore the original time control if you continue to make your moves in any of the games during the postponement period

You can limit the days/year and length of postponement
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 15:58
    I think they should be automatically timed out irrespective of holidays in the same way as tournaments. In this way everyone would know where they stand and there could be no whining or arguments.
  15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 22:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree