1. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 07:16
    I do not follow the discussions here anymore, so please excuse if this has been proposed before.
    Often people want something like auto-refresh or choose their opera settings that way, but it drives Russ and the server crazy. So what about (in the spritit of web 2.0) an ajax script (Russ is keen on Javascript, I guess) that informs the page if there was a move of my opponent.
    I use an gamil-account where this technology is widely used and it's really cool.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 12:01
    Originally posted by thire
    I do not follow the discussions here anymore, so please excuse if this has been proposed before.
    Often people want something like auto-refresh or choose their opera settings that way, but it drives Russ and the server crazy. So what about (in the spritit of web 2.0) an ajax script (Russ is keen on Javascript, I guess) that informs the page if there was a move ...[text shortened]... my opponent.
    I use an gamil-account where this technology is widely used and it's really cool.
    Game move notifier;

http://home.comcast.net/~johnbart/
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 23:04
    I know it, but this was not the point of my posting. I was proposing a (new) tehnology, but everything will still be web-based (no tray application) - this is one keystone of the big success of RHP.
  4. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 23:19
    I know it, but this was not the point of my posting. I was proposing a (new) tehnology, but everything will still be web-based (no tray application) - this is one keystone of the big success of RHP.
    I do not think it is a good idea, sure there are nice things to be done with ajax but think of the downsides first.

When you start using all the nice 'new' things that web 2.0 is providing it does mean an increase in bandwith and serverload.
    If the bandwith consumption goes up that means Russ' bills will go up and our bill will go up as well as a result. Same goes for the server load, if the server needs to be upgraded/replaced or a server needs to be added that means that he needs to find the money to do that investment and that means we will pay more.

All these things are very reasonable, we all do want Russ and his crew to make a nice and handsome living of running this site. I do not think how ever that these things will improve the site that much, i do not mind that there is no 'dynamic stuff' going on here. If anything I would not mind stripping some more 'pretty stuff' just to enhance download times 🙂

Performance is all and pretty interface really do not mean that much to me.
  5. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 01:30
    Often people want something like auto-refresh or choose their opera settings that way, but it drives Russ and the server crazy. So what about (in the spritit of web 2.0) an ajax script (Russ is keen on Javascript, I guess) that informs the page if there was a move ...[text shortened]... my opponent.
    Use your refresh button nerd. Gawd, does everything have to be done for you? It's just a move of the mouse and a click of a button for cripes sake!

RTh
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 08:15
    @coentje:
    Okay, I did not know that use of aja would increase bandwidth. If this is the case, my proposal is not good.
    I don't care for a nicer interface (it is already very cute), just about speed and userfriendliness.

@Ringtailhunter:
    I just proposed something that could make it better for Russ and many people here (I thought). Please don't be so agressive! 😉
    I am not too lazy to do a click, but I thought it could avoid some clicks of waiting players and so it would help Russ to decrease bandwidth - and so via prices all of us!

Thomas
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 08:58
    Some AJAX might be nice, if it's done correctly.
    BTW thire, I don't know if you know this already, but AJAX is just a way of bundling existing technologies together. AJAX = Asynchronous Javascript and XML. What this means in a nutshell is that user interaction is not needed to update web page content, as JS and XML is used to deliver content to the browser without the user requesting it by hyperlink clicks or page refreshes.
    I don't have too much experience with AJAX, just starting to experiment with it now, but XML is so light, it might actually reduce bandwidth with less refresh requests...

Less refreshes to check if games are waiting or for forum replies means less overhead and less bandwidth.
    Also, forum posting using AJAX could be streamlined a bit, as the whole page won't have to be refreshed after every post.
    On the other hand, users might forget windows open and go to sleep or even on vacation and the page will be kept up to date. Is there a way to detect periods of inactivity and cease AJAX activity?
    Is this then defeating the object of AJAX?

Like I said, I have only recently started to experiment with it, so I have not done extensive research.
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 12:45
    I have less experience of/with ajax then you (I'm sure, I just read an article about it and I know it in action from gmail.), but this is exactly what I understood of it. 🙂
    Just an idea, a proposal - thanks for sharing your thought about it here with me! 🙂
    thomas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree