What's gone wrong with Search Content feature?

What's gone wrong with Search Content feature?

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 Jan 10

The 'third party' Forum Search feature seems unable to search old threads properly. It used to be fairly easy to locate posts using remembered vocabulary and the poster's name. What has happened?

I have quoted philosopher/historian John Ralston Saul quite often over the last 4 years, mentioning his name. And yet a search for "Ralston" gets only one hit. How come?

F

Moves
07 Jan 10

Pardon me for bumping this question back to the top. It may have been off the radar over people's holiday period. Or maybe I am a boring dweeb. But I am really baffled about how extraordinarily useless the search function is now. It used to be really good.

e4

Moves
07 Jan 10

Yeah, I was looking for a few things the other day and the thing failed.

Glad you posted, I thought I was doing something wrong.

Why do they tamper with things that work?

Why don't they tamper with things that don't?

h

Moves
07 Jan 10

That's a google problem not an RHP problem?

F

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by heinzkat
Right. It's a google problem.
They don't have a good product for this kind of use.
But I doubt there is a better...

F

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by heinzkat
It's a problem with the functionality of the RHP web site and it is a degradation of service that is very unlikely to have been deliberate on the part of RHP. I suggest it needs to be looked into and the previous functionality restored.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
But I doubt there is a better...
Custom Google Search is good for small sites but crap for sites with large amounts of pages (like RHP forums). People generally only use because they get a bit of revenue from all the Google Ads in the search results.

If RHP built their own search system it would be far more efficient and generate much more accurate results. However, it would be quite a big drain on database resources and would only work well if the database was well organised.