1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 00:16
    A year ago i suggested that there should be some banded tournaments on the site. However, a year on there is still not a single tournament open (banded or not) that doesn't have at least one 2000+ player in it! I read a thread a while ago that suggested every player has a base rating (200 points lower than their highest ever rating) that never goes down in order to stop the BLATANT CHEATING (***JIRA***) of some unsporting players who leave for a month and come back under rated by 500 points and enter every banded tournament, just to RUIN them for the people they are intended for. Can we please please please please PLEASE, do something about this! The suggestion is a good one, the best i've heard. Until something is done we might as well scrap banded tournaments as they just aren't working.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 00:23
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    A year ago i suggested that there should be some banded tournaments on the site. However, a year on there is still not a single tournament open (banded or not) that doesn't have at least one 2000+ player in it! I read a thread a while ago that suggested every player has a base rating (200 points lower than their highest ever rating) that never goes dow ...[text shortened]... Until something is done we might as well scrap banded tournaments as they just aren't working.
    Here, here.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=22232

D
  3. Standard memberchuck l
    nothing good to say
    middletown pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 01:13
    A year ago i suggested that there should be some banded tournaments on the site. However, a year on there is still not a single tournament open (banded or not) that doesn't have at least one 2000+ player in it! I read a thread a while ago that suggested every player has a base rating (200 points lower than their highest ever rating) that never goes dow ...[text shortened]... Until something is done we might as well scrap banded tournaments as they just aren't working.
    base rating sounds like a good plan to me......and is it just me, or do you have to be pretty pathetic to cheat on computer chess????
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 01:20
    Originally posted by chuck l
    base rating sounds like a good plan to me......and is it just me, or do you have to be pretty pathetic to cheat on computer chess????
    Im not accusing anyone of cheating. There are strong players out threre who can play very well. These players however, should not be allowed to enter rating restricted tournaments, as they will win them hands down. Banded tournaments are there so that people can compete AGAINST PEOPLE OF THEIR OWN LEVEL. When one 2000+ player enters a 1400-1599 tournament they are cheating, and there should be rules in place to prevent it.
  5. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 03:46
    ... When one 2000+ player enters a 1400-1599 tournament ... there should be rules in place to prevent it.
    agreed. I was one of the people who got to "enjoy" being in the same group with jira in the banded 1400-1599.
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 04:25
    Originally posted by chuck l
    I hadn't thought of that. If you had a rating floor - and someone had a very high rating, then hit his floor - and kept loosing games legitimately - it would show evidence of something not being right about his playing. He MAY have cheated his way up to a high score and stopped cheating.

A rating floor system would discourage both cheating to win, and losing on purpose to get you score down to enter lower banded tournaments.

Your chess score should not drop dramatically without a good reason - like brain damage - or senility.

I'd still institute a separate score or grading based on the frequency a person times out of games - as useful information for other players to know.
  7. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 04:59
    So the base rating would only go up if your rating rises? What if someone won a bunch of older games and there rating shot up to 1800+ or so (temporarily) even though they're only a mid to high 1500? So the base rating would be 1600+ and they wouldn't be able to enter the tournament where they most belong. It's unlikely that will happen but it is possible, what would happen then?

Josh
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 12:23
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    So the base rating would only go up if your rating rises? What if someone won a bunch of older games and there rating shot up to 1800+ or so (temporarily) even though they're only a mid to high 1500? So the base rating would be 1600+ and they wouldn't be able to enter the tournament where they most belong. It's unlikely that will happen but it is possible, what would happen then?

Josh
    Dude, when was the last time you had that happen to you?? I struggle to get over 1700 (haven't managed it yet). Up until now if we had base ratings, my base would be 1487. That is well bellow my standard. I would have to go up to 1799 to push my base past the top limit for a 1400-1599. If i got that high i am definately not eligable for that band, plain and simple, end of story. There is a 200 (yes 200!!!!!) point margin of error. you would have to have 20 or 30 time outs against equal opposition for that to happen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree