1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 21:04
    When challenging other Clans, it would be really useful if you could add an option to include 'inactive' Players when preparing potential challenges. Currently, if two clans want to set up a big challenge, one of the Clan leaders needs to look at both Clans and work out the average ratings of the two proposed sides. This is immensely time consuming, especially when you consider the fact that the opposing captain will probably not accept it. If the site allowed inactive players to be included, then captains could easily send BIG challenges out to multiple clans quickly.

We could even consider adding an option to players Clan settings allowing them to state a challenge size for automatic acceptance. In other words, Player 'a' states he will allow games to be sent to him while he is inactive provided the challenge is over 15v15, or whatever limit that player wishes to state otherwise...

This would allow Clans to get large challenges set up quickly and easily. Having organised a number of big challenges for the Funkies, i'm starting to get a little bit frustrated as you can put quite a sizable amount of time into organising these things but the whole thing gets held up as soon as someone goes on vacation or one of your members forgets to make himself available, etc, etc... I have a number of members who are routinely unavailable but have stated they are always available for Large challenges. It takes me a month to prepare a line up, contact the opposing captain, adjust line up, contact players to organise a start date (generally with at least two weeks notice). If someone is unavailable when you reach the start date, then some of your members start receiving games from other clans, so they go unavailable and a chain reaction starts that basically results in you having to set a new start date and the whole thing either drags on in definitely or fizzles out altogether.

If i could just send the challenge to the other Clan and contact my players to get them to change their settings to accept a 17 man challenge (say) then the other clan could accept it at their leisure.

I realise this represents quite a major change to the Clan system, but it would be a vast improvement! 🙂
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 21:24
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    When challenging other Clans, it would be really useful if you could add an option to include 'inactive' Players when preparing potential challenges. Currently, if two clans want to set up a big challenge, one of the Clan leaders needs to look at both Clans and work out the average ratings of the two proposed sides. This is immensely time consuming, espe ...[text shortened]... represents quite a major change to the Clan system, but it would be a vast improvement! 🙂
    Agree totally.

The challenging takes too much time for the leader. The procedure should be simpler and less timeconsuming.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 22:38
    It would make the whole system way better! Being restricted to 'available' members constricts the Captains immensely, it is often the case that clan members are only unavailable as they like to keep control of their game load. This method would allow the captains to set up exciting challenges without removing members control of their game load. Members could instead filter the sorts of challenges they want to participate in. Most 1700+ players generally like to keep low game loads and if they were asked, would probably have a preference for Big challenges over 2-3 man challenges which seem to be the norm around here. We have 20 members, but we play hundreds of 2 man challenges? What's the point in that??
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 06:16
    It would make the whole system way better! Being restricted to 'available' members constricts the Captains immensely, it is often the case that clan members are only unavailable as they like to keep control of their game load. This method would allow the captains to set up exciting challenges without removing members control of their game load. Members c ...[text shortened]... ere. We have 20 members, but we play hundreds of 2 man challenges? What's the point in that??
    I don't take up one-man nor two-man groups. To give all my 20 members a part in two man groups I in this case need 10 challenges. It's too ineffective. Four-man groups is minimum for our clan.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 12:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I don't take up one-man nor two-man groups. To give all my 20 members a part in two man groups I in this case need 10 challenges. It's too ineffective. Four-man groups is minimum for our clan.
    Yeh i try to set a 5 man limit also but got really annoyed as there are times when no one will accept them so I changed to a 3 man minimum just to keep things ticking over. If I could routinely send out 10+ man challenges, that would be WAY better!! I don't have any ambitions to have 150 concurrent challenges going, i'd much prefer 20 challenges with 10+ players involved. That would be a lot more interesting and would even allow us to set up some kind of 15v15 competition... 😉
  6. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 13:54
    When challenging other Clans, it would be really useful if you could add an option to include 'inactive' Players when preparing potential challenges. Currently, if two clans want to set up a big challenge, one of the Clan leaders needs to look at both Clans and work out the average ratings of the two proposed sides. This is immensely time consuming, espe ...[text shortened]... represents quite a major change to the Clan system, but it would be a vast improvement! 🙂
    I agree with alot of what you have proposed. Having unavailable members has really affected our ability to set up a 20 man challenge between our 2 clans and though we have been planning it (on and off) for months, every time a new date comes close all it takes is for one member to forget and we almost have to go back to the drawing board and start again.

I like the idea of having a challenge size filter, but I wonder how easy it would be to implement.

It is worth mentioning that someone has already had the idea of having control of which clans you are made available for. This idea would be a really useful addition to the clan system and would really help the setting up or the bigger clan challenges as members could mark themselves available for the one clan safe in the knowledge that they are not going to be inundated with challenges from one of their other clans.

Can we at least have this one, Russ? Please?
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 14:31
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    I agree with alot of what you have proposed. Having unavailable members has really affected our ability to set up a 20 man challenge between our 2 clans and though we have been planning it (on and off) for months, every time a new date comes close all it takes is for one member to forget and we almost have to go back to the drawing board and start again. ...[text shortened]... with challenges from one of their other clans.

Can we at least have this one, Russ? Please?
    Yes i agree, being able to set your availability to just one Clan would resolve these issues, though it would be nice if Captains could send a game through the vacation setting also (with users permission of course...). This way we wouldn't get this 3-4 months black hole in the middle of the year when everyone goes away on holiday. 🙂
  8. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 12:05
    Spot on.
    Clan members settings simply(?) need to have a box stating 'Always available for 15+ challenges.' It's then up to each clan leader to convince team members to have the box ticked... (...or else...)
    Nice idea.
  9. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 13:11
    Great idea boss. Rec'd.
  10. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 14:32
    agree with all the above

another rec
  11. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 15:40
    Rec.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 09:34
    Hey cool, i was beginning to think this idea was just going to slip into nowhere. 😀
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 11:41
    bump
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Jul '07 18:02
    I see what you're saying. I'm not sure about this, as I've made myself unavailable for clan challenges so I can get my games numbers down I'm not going to change my mind just because I've been asked.

However if this were to go ahead I'd do it slightly differently. Instead of having a global "available for challenges" setting you could set things up so that when the clan leaders issue and accept the challenge the system generated a message to all clan members and polled them directly - you'd click on one link to be involved and another to not be involved. All clan challenges would then involve the maximum possible number of clan members. If one clan has more participants than the other the system would leave people out so as to minimise the individual ratings differences and the average ratings differences.

The down side would be that there'd be no control over who played whom, the system would decide the pairings based on who was available - so weakest play strongest or individual challenges would be out. The other problem would be waiting for people to accept or reject the challenge - although that could be solved with a timeout feature, and people with their vacation flags up would automatically be excluded.

The upside is that it would be very easy for clan leaders to manage the clans and people wouldn't get too many games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree