1. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 14:29
    My club (Maybe Masters ?) has 52 members including 17 non subs. The average club rating is 2120 so we are all pretty good players and active. We do not play many games at a time because all our games are hard. Clubs are second class citizens because 1.Tournaments are set at a minimum of 8 players and 2 games each. WHY? They are hard to fill because of members’ game loads, why not 4 man tournaments? We would like to have tournaments with only 1 game each. 2. Clubs should be able to challenge other clubs like clans do. 3. Where is the club league? Clans have one. 4. I would like to run a non-sub tourney with a prize of paid membership to encourage the non-subs to become members. 5. Non-subs should be allowed to enter club tournaments within the 6 game limit. None of these changes should be hard for the software. Please comment.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 12:52
    Originally posted by pikejohn
    My club (Maybe Masters ?) has 52 members including 17 non subs. The average club rating is 2120 so we are all pretty good players and active. We do not play many games at a time because all our games are hard. Clubs are second class citizens because 1.Tournaments are set at a minimum of 8 players and 2 games each. WHY? They are hard to fill because of mem ...[text shortened]... within the 6 game limit. None of these changes should be hard for the software. Please comment.
    1.Tournaments are set at a minimum of 8 players and 2 games each. WHY? They are hard to fill because of members’ game loads, why not 4 man tournaments? We would like to have tournaments with only 1 game each.

You can set up (and manage) tournaments yourself in any fashion. Problem is to keep track We did this over at TOD.
    To expand the site interface to a minimum of four shouldn't a problem however and I can support that.

2. Clubs should be able to challenge other clubs like clans do.
    3. Where is the club league? Clans have one.

Do you wish to replace clans? I think clubs have been founded to be a bit freer than clans. A suggestion to abloish clans and set clubs in their place could have some success.

4. I would like to run a non-sub tourney with a prize of paid membership to encourage the non-subs to become members.

You can do that, by organizing the event and paying for the winners subscription by the method discussed elsewhere.

5. Non-subs should be allowed to enter club tournaments within the 6 game limit.

This is a difficult one. How would you control that. If you organize a tourney yourself: no problem. If you use the site's interface you would have to leave the two tournament slots needed open as long as the tournament runs. This would be probably not attractive to the non-subs.
  3. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 15:13
    1.Tournaments are set at a minimum of 8 players and 2 games each. WHY? They are hard to fill because of members’ game loads, why not 4 man tournaments? We would like to have tournaments with only 1 game each.

You can set up (and manage) tournaments yourself in any fashion. Problem is to keep track We did this over at TOD.
    To expand the site interface to a minimum of four shouldn't a problem however and I can support that.

I can't set up tournaments any way I want, I am locked in to the 8 man minimum.

2. Clubs should be able to challenge other clubs like clans do.

This should not be hard, the software is there, only have to let clubs use it.

3. Where is the club league? Clans have one.

Do you wish to replace clans? I think clubs have been founded to be a bit freer than clans. A suggestion to abloish clans and set clubs in their place could have some success.

Clubs and clans can co-exist, the software is there, just let us use it.

4. I would like to run a non-sub tourney with a prize of paid membership to encourage the non-subs to become members.

You can do that, by organizing the event and paying for the winners subscription by the method discussed elsewhere.

The software does not support non-subs entering tournys.

5. Non-subs should be allowed to enter club tournaments within the 6 game limit.

This is a difficult one. How would you control that. If you organize a tourney yourself: no problem. If you use the site's interface you would have to leave the two tournament slots needed open as long as the tournament runs. This would be probably not attractive to the non-subs.

I don't see why, the software tracks the six games and it would be up to the player if he wants to play or not. All I'm asking is that they have the option.

We are club 354 so that means at least 3,540 members do not have the same rights as clans do. Maybe the solution would be to make clubs-clans or vice versa.

Thanks for the reply. Would love to hear from Russ.
  4. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 16:25
    As I expected NO action. I think my proposals deserve some consideration. Clubs have a lot of players that should have options that are available to other members.
  5. Standard memberpatrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    Minneapolis
    Moves
    07 Aug '14 15:48
    Originally posted by Ponderable

I think the site could allow non-subs to enter tournaments with some restrictions which, as Ponderable points out, may make them unappealing to non-subs. Maybe so unappealing that they do not join the tournaments, maybe so appealing that they subscribe.

For these restrictions, I'd say:
    --only in clubs
    --only duels, so as to only take up 2 of their 6 games
    --it's up to the non sub to keep the 2 games open in their allotted 6. You subscribe for a tournament, you keep two slots ready for when it starts. You don't have them open when the tournament fills up? You're bumped out of the tournament.
    --more than the needed number of players could be allowed to sign up for each tournament, expecting a few to not leave their slots open and get bumped. The system would check them by the order in which they signed up to see who has enough slots open.
    --once the tournament is under way, if a player wins his duel and goes on to the next round, he or she must keep those two slots open for that next round. He or she fails to do so and gets kicked out of the tournament. His place is NOT replaced by another non-sub who signed up; that only happens to fill the first round. It's a forfeit, a no-show, and the booted player's would-be opponent simply gets a bye.
    --limit these non-sub eligible tournaments to non-subs only
    --tournament victories do not get listed on the non-subs profile page

I think in this way, an attempt could be made. I also think many of these tournaments would fall apart as many players would not keep their slots available. And that's when the site basically says, "That's the best we can do without you subscribing." I'd limit the types of tournaments to duels because there's at least a chance of non-subs keeping two slots open. Require non-subs to keep 4 or all 6 of their slots open and not a single tournament will ever get past the first round, if any even start.

Another option is to limit non-sub tournaments to duels, but once a tourney starts and for as long as a player keeps winning their rounds, their game limit drops to 4 plus the games they need to progress in the tournament. So if you choose to join a tournament, you also choose to potentially have just 4 games going while you wait for the next round of the tournament.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree