1. Joined
    14 Mar '11
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 15:08
    Greetings--

Proposed: Win/Loss color differentiation or floating window designation at user profiles.

How this will benefit the site: Would streamline a general strategy process, so the user doesn't have to load every page to search for what they're looking for.

Description: Whilst viewing profiles of opponents, I would like to see an easier method to view their wins and losses. Currently all I see is their rating graph, and have to click on each bar to view the game.

I like to see my opponents' strategies, and so sometimes I will study their games. If their wins would be different colors on the rating graph, or maybe if the outcome of the game was tagged on the floating window that comes up when you scroll over the game, I think this would make it easier to see which games were wins or losses.

Discuss.

-TG
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:12
    Yes, must admit it's a genuine pain trawling through someone's games..I've been through pretty much exactly the same angst as you mention in your little ditty here...agreed !! The only issue is whether the site can effectively throw multi information stats into what exactly...to make anything so comprehensive and viewable at a glance would be mighty hard ??!
  3. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '11 11:58
    Originally posted by TA1LGUNN3R
    Currently all I see is their rating graph, and have to click on each bar to view the game.
    There's more than the graph.

On a user profile you can consult 'public games'. There you see multiple games at a glance, with the outcome AND the position reached.

In ongoing games a glance at the position might already tell you whether it followed a path you're interested in.

Should be handy for what you want. Top of the notch database facilities are not the core of this leisurely website 🙂
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '11 02:171 edit
    Originally posted by TA1LGUNN3R
    Greetings--

[b]Proposed
    : Win/Loss color differentiation or floating window designation at user profiles.

How this will benefit the site: Would streamline a general strategy process, so the user doesn't have to load every page to search for what they're looking for.

Description: Whilst viewing profiles of opponents, I would li I think this would make it easier to see which games were wins or losses.

Discuss.

-TG[/b]
    Sounds like a good idea.

Color coding each bar of the graph should be quite easy to implement and would be quite useful.

Could be as simple as:
    Green - win
    Red - loss
    Black - draw

Extremely low cost for a relatively high funtionality gain should make it a no-brainer. But then, considerations such as that seem to be beyond those running this site.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '11
    Moves
    04 Jun '11 10:16
    Originally posted by BartVH
    There's more than the graph.

On a user profile you can consult 'public games'. There you see multiple games at a glance, with the outcome AND the position reached.

In ongoing games a glance at the position might already tell you whether it followed a path you're interested in.

Should be handy for what you want. Top of the notch database facilities are not the core of this leisurely website 🙂
    Ahh.... Thank you. I missed that. That works somewhat. I still would prefer something that would be instant like the colors, but I'm fairly visual I guess. The directory seems useful if you were looking for a particular game, like between specific opponents. Maybe if there were more filters, like "wins only"... But I guess I'm rambling here.

-TG
  6. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 18:25
    TG, to be frankly I think your approach is a means-end shift. At this level, at this leisurely site... "study opponent strategy". Hmm , I am currently 2000 rated and I hardly ever have a strategy. 😉

When you want to improve your chess, see what moves are preferrable in certain system/positions, wouldn't it be wiser to consult external databases to see what is done by strong tournament players? The focus is then more on improving your chess culture, instead of your accidental opponent's possible weak lines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree