You don't have to move to resign

You don't have to move to resign

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Jan 08

My most recent game I again tried to move a king while I resigned.

The move was fully legal, but was not recorded.

P-

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
17 Jan 08

Originally posted by MrJohn
So far, I haven't had to resign an RHP game.
Nor have I but I've chosen to in many.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
19 Jan 08

Originally posted by incandenza
Actually I know that is not the case, because I do have one game where I resigned in the way you say--thought I made a blunder and decided to resign without waiting for the opponent to move. The timestamps are in fact different.
I have done this. Moved, and later realised that the next move would be mate against me, so I resigned. As I made the move, it was recorded.

Maybe if you make a move on the board, and resign at the same time, the move isn't recorded.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
19 Jan 08

Originally posted by c99ux
I have done this. Moved, and later realised that the next move would be mate against me, so I resigned. As I made the move, it was recorded.

Maybe if you make a move on the board, and resign at the same time, the move isn't recorded.
On page one are examples of games where a user DID make a move and resigned. How does that happen?

P-

F

Moves
19 Jan 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
On page one are examples of games where a user DID make a move and resigned. How does that happen?

P-
You can resign the game even if it is not your turn to move.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Jan 08
1 edit

That still doesn't explain since the user says time stamps match

From Page One:

Here are the three most recent I have seen:

Game 3988121
Game 3988122
Game 4312765

On these, the 'Last move' time on the summary page is the exact same time as the time of the last move in the game log, which makes me think the move was submitted along with the resignation.

With a normal resignation, the 'Last move' time in the summary is different than the time of the last move in the game log (since it's the time the resignation, by itself, was made).

F

Moves
20 Jan 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
That still doesn't explain since the user says time stamps match

With a normal resignation, the 'Last move' time in the summary is different than the time of the last move in the game log (since it's the time the resignation, by itself, was made).
[/b]
Once I made a move. I discovered it was very bad one, and moreover a losing one, just a second after I hit the submit button. So I resigned it immediately.

If I did this within the same minute, then it would seem that I resign at the same time I delivered the move.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
21 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Once I made a move. I discovered it was very bad one, and moreover a losing one, just a second after I hit the submit button. So I resigned it immediately.

If I did this within the same minute, then it would seem that I resign at the same time I delivered the move.
I wondered if that was the answer, but no one has asked this user about the final move.

Must be the answer, since it seems to be the only logical one.

P-

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
23 Jan 08

If you're reading this, you may already be aware that you don't have to submit a move when you resign. But it seems like a lot of people don't know this. They want to resign so they make some pointless move at the same time, maybe because you have to press the 'Submit move' button so it seems logical that you would have to make a move.

My suggestion ...[text shortened]... t", etc. just add a note that says "You can resign without making a move on the board."
I move when I resign because it puts me one move closer to my rotating star.

i

Moves
26 Jan 08

Originally posted by slappy115
I move when I resign because it puts me one move closer to my rotating star.
So are you saying the moves are recorded if you submit them at the same time you resign? Or you deliberately make the move first and then resign separately?

Actually that could be an explanation for this phenomenon--maybe people do deliberately submit the move separately just to increase their move count. Thanks--that didn't occur to me (or, so it seems, to the other respondents).

As I've seen, there are some players who seem to do this every single time, so maybe that's what they're up to.