1. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 18:51
    If you're reading this, you may already be aware that you don't have to submit a move when you resign. But it seems like a lot of people don't know this. They want to resign so they make some pointless move at the same time, maybe because you have to press the 'Submit move' button so it seems logical that you would have to make a move.

My suggestion is simply to put a note about this somewhere so that more people are aware of it. For example, in the confirmation popup that says "Resigning will award the game to your opponent", etc. just add a note that says "You can resign without making a move on the board."
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 19:252 edits
    Originally posted by incandenza
    If you're reading this, you may already be aware that you don't have to submit a move when you resign. But it seems like a lot of people don't know this. They want to resign so they make some pointless move at the same time, maybe because you have to press the 'Submit move' button so it seems logical that you would have to make a move.

My suggestion t", etc. just add a note that says "You can resign without making a move on the board."
    I'm not sure, but I believe that if you move while resigning the move is NOT recorded.

I don't have a game to test this with... But I always make a very stupid/funny move while resigning and it isn't recorded if I remember right.

P-

The move is not recorded, as in this instance I moved Rxg6 before resigning.

Game 3417730

3. The sky
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 22:56

My suggestion ...[text shortened]... t", etc. just add a note that says "You can resign without making a move on the board."
    It never occurred to me to make a move when resigning, but it doesn't make any difference whether you make a move or not, so I don't really see the problem. What I think would be more useful is a note somewhere that you can resign a game even when it's not your move, which is another thing many people don't seem to know.
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 23:25
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I'm not sure, but I believe that if you move while resigning the move is NOT recorded.
    Hmm, that's strange. Seems to contradict my experience, where at least half the time I see a silly move come across at the same time as the resignation.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 23:30
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It never occurred to me to make a move when resigning, but it doesn't make any difference whether you make a move or not, so I don't really see the problem. What I think would be more useful is a note somewhere that you can resign a game even when it's not your move, which is another thing many people don't seem to know.
    Well, it just looks strange in the final game notation that the opponent resigned when it wasn't their move. Also, I would kind of like the record to only include "real" moves. e.g., if you blundered and then figured it out and resigned because of it, that's one thing, but if you're just submitting a dumb move because maybe you think it's mandatory, then I'd rather leave that out of the notation.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 23:33
    Well, it just looks strange in the final game notation that the opponent resigned when it wasn't their move. Also, I would kind of like the record to only include "real" moves. e.g., if you blundered and then figured it out and resigned because of it, that's one thing, but if you're just submitting a dumb move because maybe you think it's mandatory, then I'd rather leave that out of the notation.
    I agree that's stupid. I wasn't aware this was happening (and apparently it isn't always happening).
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 00:05
    Hmm, that's strange. Seems to contradict my experience, where at least half the time I see a silly move come across at the same time as the resignation.
    Please give a link to some games where the person who resigned made the last move. I clicked around finding about 6 games and all of them ended with the winner's move.

P-
  8. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 00:19
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Please give a link to some games where the person who resigned made the last move. I clicked around finding about 6 games and all of them ended with the winner's move.

P-
    Here are the three most recent I have seen:

Game 3988121
    Game 3988122
    Game 4312765

On these, the 'Last move' time on the summary page is the exact same time as the time of the last move in the game log, which makes me think the move was submitted along with the resignation.

With a normal resignation, the 'Last move' time in the summary is different than the time of the last move in the game log (since it's the time the resignation, by itself, was made).
  9. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 00:20
    Coming to think of it, could it be that those are cases where your opponent made a stupid move, then realised it and resigned before you got a chance to move?
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 00:221 edit
    Coming to think of it, could it be that those are cases where your opponent made a stupid move, then realised it and resigned before you got a chance to move?
    I suppose it's technically possible, but the timestamp on the resignation (which is the 'Last move' time on the summary page) is the same as the time of the last move, which means they would have had to do that within the same minute, which doesn't seem likely.

EDIT: In fact, look at the whole history of the player 'jarno1974'. It looks like he always makes a move when he resigns. This is the kind of player the message I suggested would be aimed at, just in case they don't know they don't have to do that.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 00:26
    I suppose it's technically possible, but the timestamp on the resignation (which is the 'Last move' time on the summary page) is the same as the time of the last move, which means they would have had to do that within the same minute, which doesn't seem likely.
    It could also be that if you resign before your opponent moves, the "last move" time shown is still the time of the last move.

I should try to lose some games soon, so that I can experiment a bit...
  12. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 00:28
    It could also be that if you resign before your opponent moves, the "last move" time shown is still the time of the last move.
    Actually I know that is not the case, because I do have one game where I resigned in the way you say--thought I made a blunder and decided to resign without waiting for the opponent to move. The timestamps are in fact different.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 03:40
    I'll need to look through my games, I know you don't NEED to move... but I thought I usually do.

I may not have in this instance. I am not able to check my games right now.

P-
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 15:34
    I've been through a number of my games including my first resignation and can't find a single game where the last move was made by someone who resigned.

This is Strange!

P-
  15. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 16:32
    So far, I haven't had to resign an RHP game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree