1. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Aug '20 13:50
    The essence of mind is formless;
    This itself is the subtle body of reality.
    The essence of mind is inherently empty;
    This itself is the infinite body of space.

- Ta-chu (8th c.)
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Aug '20 15:55
    In the still night by the vacant window,
    Wrapped in monk’s robe I sit in meditation,
    Navel and nostrils lined up straight,
    Ears paired to the slope of shoulders.
    Window whitens--the moon comes up;
    Rain’s stopped, but drops go on dripping.
    Wonderful—the mood of this moment-
    Distant, vast!

- Ryokan (1758-1831)
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Aug '20 16:56
    “I have wanted to kill myself a hundred times, but somehow I am still in love with life. This ridiculous weakness is perhaps one of our more stupid melancholy propensities, for is there anything more stupid than to be eager to go on carrying a burden which one would gladly throw away, to loathe one’s very being and yet to hold it fast, to fondle the snake that devours us until it has eaten our hearts away?”

― Voltaire
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Aug '20 18:07
    The caged bird sings
    with a fearful trill
    of things unknown
    but longed for still
    and his tune is heard
    on the distant hill
    for the caged bird
    sings of freedom.

Maya Angelou
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 07:44
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    As the theists are avoiding this thread
    Avoiding?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 07:46
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    'Religion stems from the individual's experience of having been a helpless baby totally dependent on its parents. The infant sees its parents as all-powerful beings who show it great love and satisfy all its needs. This experience is almost identical to the way human beings portray their relationship with God.

Religion as a mass-delusion that reshapes reality to provide a certainty of happiness and a protection from suffering.'
    Don’t parents influence in many ways?

Consciousness itself is a delusion, surely.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 07:50
    @karoly-aczel said
    Damn , a labeller keeps sneaking in
    Welcome back.

Digesium Bodra
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 07:521 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The caged bird sings
    with a fearful trill
    of things unknown
    but longed for still
    and his tune is heard
    on the distant hill
    for the caged bird
    sings of freedom.

Maya Angelou
    At times we all need a cocoon into which we can creep.

Chap. 14.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 10:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    'Religion stems from the individual's experience of having been a helpless baby totally dependent on its parents. The infant sees its parents as all-powerful beings who show it great love and satisfy all its needs. This experience is almost identical to the way human beings portray their relationship with God.

Religion as a mass-delusion that reshapes reality to provide a certainty of happiness and a protection from suffering.'

@divegeester said in response
    Don’t parents influence in many ways?

Consciousness itself is a delusion, surely.

Maybe this is a thread in its own right as it has run into an interesting area of difficulty.

If I ignore what is being sought to be communicated and just go with the literal meaning then of course 'mass delusion' is by definition impossible since a delusion is a fixed belief that is at odds with a persons subculture and a subculture cannot be referred to as deluded. Historically states have used the argument to incarcerate members of a political or religious belief system in institutions, on the basis that they were deluded to believe anything other than the dominant culture, but I think this is obviously flawed.

If I go with the spirit of the post, it is a suggestion to understand the development of religious beliefs from a psychological perspective. This gets you into a fascinating ethical debate.

To use an analogy, it might be possible to look for a psychological journey that leads to a fixed identity as a homosexual rather than perceiving yourself as potentially bisexual. You could argue that since you could do the same work attempting to understand the journey towards a fixed belief that you are heterosexual as opposed to perceiving yourself as potentially bisexual, and since you are committed not to pathologize either journey, this is ethical work. However, it might be argued that since there is a history of homosexuals being pathologized, but not vice versa and they are a minority, this is not an ethical area for psychological understanding. But then the antithesis is that you are excluding people from the right to attempt to increase understanding and move forwards...

If anybody wants to pursue this should we copy and paste this into a separate thread?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 12:50
    @divegeester said
    Welcome back.

Digesium Bodra
    Why are you replying to posts written 2 years ago?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 12:55
    @petewxyz said
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Religion as a mass-delusion that reshap ...[text shortened]... forwards...

If anybody wants to pursue this should we copy and paste this into a separate thread?
    For clarity sir, the quote came from Freud, not me. (As correctly attributed in my original post).
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 13:542 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Why are you replying to posts written 2 years ago?
    Now, that is a very good question.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 13:59
    @divegeester said
    Now, that is a very good question.
    Perhaps, on a subconscious level, you were seeking out Freud.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 14:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Perhaps, on a subconscious level, you were seeking out Freud.
    Maybe... or looking at it, I see it was a “delusion” I was under that the front page was the back page.

I suppose I could have been caught in a temporal login vortex or parallel universe anomaly which somehow connected my RHP app to the front page. Or... I wasn’t concentrating and clicked the wrong link on the thread page. The latter seems unlikely, therefore the former must be true.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 14:08
    @divegeester said
    Maybe... or looking at it, I see it was a “delusion” I was under that the front page was the back page.

I suppose I could have been caught in a temporal login vortex or parallel universe anomaly which somehow connected my RHP app to the front page. Or... I wasn’t concentrating and clicked the wrong link on the thread page. The latter seems unlikely, therefore the former must be true.
    All the same, worth reviewing your superego.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree