1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:16
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    You assume that I have no view because I dont feel like answering a question that asked countless times?

Search the forums man! 80% of your all's question are "how do you cope without god", "how do you sleep at night without the lord", "how do you blah blah blah" and on and on.
    Hey man... then why post something telling me to seek...wasted your time didn't you when you could have been answering something prolific... i know to look and i have looked and i thought the answers were slightly uninteresting...so i worded it a little better and thought it would be interesting to see how this thread panned out....
    Im interested in your view...would you care to share it with me?
  2. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:28
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Hey man... then why post something telling me to seek...wasted your time didn't you when you could have been answering something prolific...
    Its not a matter of wasting my time. Its not a matter of answering your question. Its the principle of it. The question has been answered many times.

Anyway here is your answer...

When I finally realized that I didnt believe in god it was like a ton of bricks were lifted off of my shoulders. I didnt just make this decision in a flash. I fought it off for years. I didnt want to be an atheist for a long time, because I was raised in a theist family. I was constantly worrying, am I living right? Am I sinning too much? Will I go to hell?. Constantly man, it never ended. I finally realized that if god is going to try to scare me into believing in him, then he must be invented by men who needed answers where there were none. There are other reasons too.

Now... How do I cope? I am happy. I am free from the chains that theism was to me. There is no more uncertainty of the afterlife.

There's my answer.
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:32
    Its not a matter of wasting my time. Its not a matter of answering your question. Its the principle of it. The question has been answered many times.

Anyway here is your answer...

When I finally realized that I didnt believe in god it was like a ton of bricks were lifted off of my shoulders. I didnt just make this decision in a flash. I fought it o ...[text shortened]... ins that theism was to me. There is no more uncertainty of the afterlife.

There's my answer.
    And a good answer too!

Thanks man !!!
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:38
    And a good answer too!

Thanks man !!!
    You're welcome.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:41
    You're welcome.
    I tried not to believe once and that scared the heebey jeebies out of me !!!
  6. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:44
    I was the opposite. Believing scared me. So, I refused to live like that.

This answer sounds like I am just denying god. This is not true. Like I said, there are other reasons that I wont share here. But, I have no belief in god at all. The reason I am saying this is becuse, like I said, my answer sounds like denial. I dont want someone to come along and say that I really do believe but just denying it.

Just covering all of the bases.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:49
    I was the opposite. Believing scared me. So, I refused to live like that.

This answer sounds like I am just denying god. This is not true. Like I said, there are other reasons that I wont share here. But, I have no belief in god at all. The reason I am saying this is becuse, like I said, my answer sounds like denial. I dont want someone to come along and say that I really do believe but just denying it.

Just covering all of the bases.
    I believe but i respect peoples views...it sounds like you had a hard struggle to accept what you have and thats fine...like i said i may not agree but its your view and who am i to judge you.... Good luck man on your life's journey !!! 🙂
  8. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:501 edit
    I believe but i respect peoples views...it sounds like you had a hard struggle to accept what you have and thats fine...like i said i may not agree but its your view and who am i to judge you.... Good luck man on your life's journey !!! 🙂
    Thanks! I too, respect your belief system. I would never try to change your or anybody else's belief.

Most theists arent like that, you are an exception.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:56
    I am curious what exactly you found scary, as I have never experienced this. Is it the feeling of being on your own which scares you?
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 14:15
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I am curious what exactly you found scary, as I have never experienced this. Is it the feeling of being on your own which scares you?
    Do you know what...maybe it was...away from Gods sight....i cant pinpoint my fear but what you said seems possible... once i said no to god i felt there was no purpose in life...maybe too thats what scared me.... i will analyse this because it does intrigue me !!!!
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 14:19
    Thanks! I too, respect your belief system. I would never try to change your or anybody else's belief.

Most theists arent like that, you are an exception.
    Man.... when people put up a barrier to a Theist person then no matter how hard you talk to them it just bounces off their barrier... JW are an example...i have seen violent resistance to them and they keep preaching...perhaps thats what i should aspire too but then i think you cant FORCE a belief on someone...I know that God will look after the non believers too...he is a loving God etc,etc...
    You have a right to a different opinion to me and just because its different to mine it doesnt make it wrong !!!
  12. CA, USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 14:48
    It's not that I don't believe in God; it's that He's so hard to understand. And He never shows himself, just allows people like Jerry Falwell and Jimmy Swaggart represent Him.

Still, coping with God is a lot harder than coping without Him IMHO.
    To deny and walk away from God is natural when you're young, simular to breaking away from the protection and constrants of parents. Necessary at some point in order to take control of ones own life.
    It's part of growing up and finding ones own answers rather than just swallowing what parents, priests or teachers tell us are fact. It's realizing that they're just as lost as you are.. that noone "knows."

So, some of us try to cope with God and others cope quite well without Him. Both will struggle in life. Those that always seek will lead interesting lives IMO while those that "know" (on either side of the question) and closed (sheltered) to the wonder of it all.

Seek the truth for yourself .. and know that God is hiding, hoping we'll find Him.
    Or at least die trying.
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 14:50
    Originally posted by jammer
    It's not that I don't believe in God; it's that He's so hard to understand. And He never shows himself, just allows people like Jerry Falwell and Jimmy Swaggart represent Him.

Still, coping with God is a lot harder than coping without Him IMHO.
    To deny and walk away from God is natural when you're young, simular to breaking away from the protection and co ...[text shortened]... elf .. and know that God is hiding, hoping we'll find Him.
    Or at least die trying.
    Hey thats good....are you a spiritual counsellor....if not....you should be !!!!! 🙂
  14. CA, USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 15:071 edit
    I've attended literally hundreds of churchs in my life.
    I'm "the old guy" here.
    I've searched for, prayed to and cursed at God a thousand times over.
    One thing I believe as fact is that you'll never find God in a church .. at least I never have. I came close once when I was about 16 and got drunk with some Catholic friends and went to midnight mass on Christmas Eve .. then the whole thing spun out of control and I ended up on my knees in the bathroom calling for Ralph.

God, through His gift (curse) of free will has allowed us, indeed, demanded that, we make choices .. all day, everyday, until we die. He strew the path with whores, booze and drugs. Then He gave us all an ego and the desire to satisfy it.

Now, be good and love Me with all your heart .. or else!
  15. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 15:07
    Originally posted by jammer
    Seek the truth for yourself .. and know that God is hiding, hoping we'll find Him.
    Or at least die trying.
    I dont like that idea. That is just a theists answer to the unanswerable question "If he exists, he has to be somewhere, so where is god?".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree